Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #1  
Started IP March 2013

Default Does anyone else sabotage?

I have been on ip since march. Total loss is 55 pounds. I notice though that after a great weigh in I do something stupid a sabotage by eating wrong or all my snacks. Anyone else!
Aksarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #2  

Time to plan your non-food celebrations in advance.

We've had a theme around here for several months: you are not a dog. Don't reward yourself with food.

So what will your next non-food celebration be? Mine is a new bike when I hit 100-off.

I've gotten massages, facials, a wii fit (50-off), mani/pedi. Others get charms on bracelets, new clothes. Whatever it takes to feel good without rewarding with food!

We need to teach ourselves new behaviors. This does not come overnight and we need to be prepared for the old behaviors when they want to pop up.

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-17-2013 at 09:02 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksarben View Post
I have been on ip since march. Total loss is 55 pounds. I notice though that after a great weigh in I do something stupid a sabotage by eating wrong or all my snacks. Anyone else!
No - no!! I go shopping & call my family!!
Treat yourself to a manicure, a new book or a treat for the dog... Not you! Behavior modification is a good thing to implement .. Now!

PS. You've done great!!!

Last edited by 65X65; 08-17-2013 at 08:15 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #4  
Started IP March 2013

What a great thought. Treats are for dogs. I was just really hit for a loop yesterday b/ c that wasn't a cheat it was just out of the blue destruction. I have been on an anniversary trip with success, work travel, family vacation and maintained program and then yesterday bam! I also felt as if I was drunk all night, and while I did have 3 beers from 1 - 3, I still felt them at 2 am!

Thanks for the replies. I am going to starting drinking that water now and perhaps try to shock my body back by just doing orange drink today.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
What a great thought. Treats are for dogs. I was just really hit for a loop yesterday b/ c that wasn't a cheat it was just out of the blue destruction. I have been on an anniversary trip with success, work travel, family vacation and maintained program and then yesterday bam! I also felt as if I was drunk all night, and while I did have 3 beers from 1 - 3, I still felt them at 2 am!

Thanks for the replies. I am going to starting drinking that water now and perhaps try to shock my body back by just doing orange drink today.
Make sure you don't try to starve today... Follow the program...and your guilt for the misstep is "reward" enough this time... But ..... Have a plan for nxt time. ⛅
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #6  
Started IP March 2013

Check
Old 08-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #7  

Quote:
Firstly, good work on the 55lbs gone.

I used to do this, self sabotage ...in the past...but now...its not worth it. My reward for losing weight is being healthy, increased self confidence. the whole thought of "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" has never been truer in my life ....Maybe you are holding on to something from your past that is preventing from not sabotaging?
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #8  
~Tori~

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

I do it when im getting close to goal,i start to be happy with my looks and climbing and flat out quit. I cannot do that this time.
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I find it very difficult to stay perfectly on plan. I've literally fantasized about a set of home vending machines (freezer, fridge and pantry) that could be programmed to dispense portions of specific foods at programmed intervals. Once you remove your allotment for one meal, you can't get more until the next sheduled meal.

Spices and low-cal, high fiber veggies might not need to be locked up, but I'd lock up everything else.

The only vulnerable time would be once a week when loading the vending machine. I could kick temptation's butt if I only had to deal with it once a week. At least in fantasy land.

I do find it helpful to change the label from sabotage to slip ups or poor choices or some other term that doesn't imply that I am trying to fail. I don't think we "sabotage" ourselves so much as we lower our guard against all the "land mines and booby traps" that are in our environment.

I think the difference is important, because there's no defense against self-sabotage because "I must secretly want to fail."

However, there are all sorts of strategies that can be used against poor judgement, moments of weakness, mistakes, temptations...

I still make almost as many mistakes, but when I call it sabotage, I tend to fall further and I take longer to pick myself up from the fall.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #10  
Started IP March 2013

Default Common core

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriloos View Post
I do it when im getting close to goal,i start to be happy with my looks and climbing and flat out quit. I cannot do that this time.
so-this is exactly how it goes. Really happy with the progress, and then it happens. I don't see this in any other part of my life, family, work, friends, just weight.

I have thought about if there is something there from the past. We all have stuff but truly nothing comes to mind. Who knows, it could be the unknown of what life will be like when the weight has come off, maybe it is the pressure of having to keep it up, beats me. I just know it isn't unique to me and I appreciate the honest replies.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #11  
Started IP March 2013

Kaplods,
I agree that sabotage has a negative connotation but truly that is what it seems like. A slip up is if I forgot I ate a packet or forgot to eat a packet. This is just, I know I shouldn't and it isn't worth it, and somehow do.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

ok. I had a diet, caffeine free pepsi... I just thought it better while they were passing the garlic knots under my nose & eating, chicken parm, hot sausage sandwich & lasagna. I had my salad without complaint, but did break down and had the diet pepsi. oh well
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #13  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Kaplods,
I agree that sabotage has a negative connotation but truly that is what it seems like. A slip up is if I forgot I ate a packet or forgot to eat a packet. This is just, I know I shouldn't and it isn't worth it, and somehow do.
Good for you for owning it and for taking responsibility! I don't know what the answer is (I suspect it's different for everybody) but I do believe that the first step to finding it is when you own the problem. Again, good for you!
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #14  
~Tori~

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

A diet soda cant be that bad, for sure it's way way better than garlic knots, those delicious refined carbs, Laden with fattening delicious salty butter that made me this way, but I still love them. Gosh!! Okokok, what I'm really trying to say is, it sounds like we have the same all or nothing personality. We must not do this to ourself. If we didn't follow plan 100% we have failed mentality. I have that too! But, don't feel bad, we all would consider that a victory! You strengthened your will power and didn't have the knots!

I am proud of you, really good work !
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #15  
Started IP March 2013

So-1) find non food ways to celebrate feeling and looking good.
2) Recognize that it is ok to stumble when you are learning a new dance.
3) remember lots of people seem to do this same thing
4) make a choice, live with it, and move on.

I think that is what the summary for the day it.