General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/288/175

Height: 5'11"

Default Does water actually help you lose weight?

This may seem like a silly question. I know that drinking water helps is good for your body and helps it work well. However, I don't understand the connection between how it helps a person lose weight more weight than if you don't drink it. Is it just because it helps you feel full or is there something biological/chemical that happens to actually make you lose more weight when you drink water?
Penguin483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

My understanding is that water obviously helps your body flush itself out. Also, if you hydrate properly, your body will not retain the water for future use.

There are probably more reasons, and my understanding is simple at best...but hey it seems to work. I know that days I do not drink as much, I lose less. If I go back when I have hit a plateau, or even gained....100% of the time, I have not had enough water. There are other things going on as well, water consumption is not the only factor when I stall or gain..but it is consistent.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/120

Yeah I think generally if you are well-hydrated you'll retain less water, which seems counter intuitive but its true. And since our brains can mistake thirst for hunger, it can prevent you from eating calories that you wouldn't otherwise be consuming.
DistrictDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #4  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100...in-weight-loss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_...fects_of_water

There are a couple of interesting reads on the water/weight loss correlation.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #5  
BELIEVE

S/C/G: 215/---/145

Height: 5'8

Pretty much what those have said before, water helps with a multitude of things that can contribute greatly to weight loss. It helps you retain less water, which of course translates to less weight being carried. Not only that, but water flushes out your system so it can burn at its optimal level. Water will keep your body hydrated for exercise. And the final thing it can do would be to help keep you full. Drinking water before eating and when you get hunger cravings will help you keep full so you don't overindulge at any point. So water is a great tool and it will definitely help you lose some weight.
KillerBee is offline   Reply With Quote