Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Default Out of control and regaining

I'm still visiting the 3FC but not as frequently as I should. I have been eating plenty of foods that I know I should avoid. I have been satisfying my cravings and justifying it by saying that I can stay within my calories on fats and sweets, only to go over my calories by a thousand or so because I'm still hungry at the end of the night. I still weigh and count just so that I have to face the facts, but I can't seem to stop the train.

In addition to overeating, I have stopped exercising. I adopted a dog and I count his many walks as my exercise. I know the truth is that I am not getting the intense workout that I had been participating in prior to falling off the rails.

Up until last month I was on track. In July, I had to return my Nike Fuel Band because it died on me and since then I have been unable to get a real idea of my activity level. <-- Another excuse but I'm leaving it here because it shows how I'm justifying my loss of direction. I know what an intense workout feels like and I know I'm not hitting the mark.

I want to get back on track and lose the 5 pounds that I have regained. I also adjusted my goal down by another 5 pounds. I already know what to do. I just need to DO IT!
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

YOU ARE WORTH IT! You can do it!! We are human, we make mistakes. You are holding yourself accountable for your mistakes which is great because you'll be able to see them as roadblocks, and knowing that you have overcome them once already, it will make it easier if/when they pop up again.

A phrase I like to say to myself when I feel the need to eat something that I don't need, whether it's eating out of boredom or reaching for that higher calorie food instead of the lower calorie food, is "do I want to lose the weight more than I want _____?" I'll say it out loud, I'll ask my dogs, sometimes I'll ask my fiance...the answer is usually the same. That resolve helps me overcome those urges to eat when I feel myself falling.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs

You can do this, just take one day at a time!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know how you feel.....I've definitely been there. You do so much and then suddenly, you can't get it done anymore. I don't know what to say or do to help you turn things around. A lot of it depends on how you handle your eating. Do you do better if you add good habits in slowly or are you an all or nothing type of person? I"m all or nothing so I need to just quit all the bad habits cold turkey. I just need to make a decision, have a plan and follow through. I don't think ahead too much. I just focus on the task at hand.

That said, I'd like to address some of your excuses (and we all have them and they can be completely legit, but that doesn't mean they're worth indulging in because they don't lead us toward our goal). The Nike Fuel Band. You don't have to use it (although I love it). You can just use a simple pedometer from your local pharmacy, etc .

Exercise. You don't have to do it to lose weight. It's mostly about your diet. However, I know the benefits of a good kick butt workout session...to me, working out sets the tone for the day. What helps me is to lie to myself. I tell myself that I'll only do it for 10 minutes. What's 10 minutes? Then, it turns into 20 and usually more. I mix it up. Lately, I'm into Kettlebells. I bought a few of them and there are plenty of youtube videos that I can watch and follow fairly well. It doesn't require a huge financial investment and I can do it anytime, which is great.

The diet. This is the big one. Obviously, you (and I too) cannot eat junky foods without falling off track. It just doesn't work for us. Make a commitment that you will eat healthy foods that are high in volume and low in calories. You gotta find some healthy stuff you like...do you have that? My latest obsession is Japanese sweet potatoes. Oh my they're good. I bake them for a very long time and to me, they taste like cake. Ok maybe not cake, but I so enjoy them and a 5 x 2 inch potato is 113 calories and has tons of nutrition.

If you're hungry.....I get it. Here's what works for me: I start my day with protein. I don't eat unless I'm hungry...so if people say breakfast is the most important meal and I don't want to eat, I don't. People also say don't eat at night but that's when I like to eat so I can't have it all so I make the best decision I can. I try to include protein and fiber in every meal or snack. I count my calories on an app called LoseIt but many people like sparkpeople or myfitnesspal. You probably know all this as you've lost a good amount of weight, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Guilt. It's useless. Figure out what works and what doesn't and make this a learning experience but move forward. Don't dwell on the past.

A few quotes that I love (which I've seen here, but can't remember exactly, are very helpful):

If food is not the problem, then food is not the solution.

If you're climbing a mountain and you slip, you don't throw yourself off.

The two quotes are great because they touch on the subject of emotional eating and also the idea that we can pick ourselves up and get back on track.

I hope you figure it out and I'm glad you posted. I'm sure most maintainers here have been where you are today so don't let this derail you....let it ignite your fire and drive you forward.

Last edited by luckymommy; 08-13-2013 at 03:52 PM.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Hi! Come climb back up the mountain with me. I'm pulling myself out of the same hole!

Restarting is still awesome because it's not quitting! Start by easing back in. Add a workout or cut out one food. Treat it as a "new beginning", knowing that you're so much more ahead than you were.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

My sympathies, but you have only regained 5 pounds! I regained over 60 lbs and am having to start all over again!

The big thing I'd stress right now is not to get complacent like I did. "Oh, I'm still x lbs lighter than I used to be, it's no big deal". It doesn't sound like you're in that headspace so that is good.

Don't beat yourself up, remove the sweets and you will get there!
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #7  
Making it a lifestyle!

It's only 5 lbs, you absolutely can lose it again!
It's essential to get back in the right mindset, no matter what it takes you or how long. When that happens, everything else will fall into place. I believe you will do it.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #8  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

I have been where you are so many times and I am also starting over again. I am sending you big hugs and letting you know that I am cheering you on!
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #9  

Thank you all for your encouragement and understanding. I weighed in today at 156.4.

I have a plan for today which includes a decent filling breakfast at home (weighed on the food scale), a reasonable sandwich loaded with vegetables for lunch and baked fish with vegetables for dinner. I am saying goodbye to the Kuerig coffee machine at the office. No more coffee for me.

If the weather holds up I will walk my dog on the longer (2+mile) hilly path rather than the flat path around my neighborhood. If it rains, I will do the Zumba routine I have saved on my iPad.

Day 1, here I come!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #10  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Slow and steady!

At the very least, be proud of yourself for acknowledging the slippery slope of regain and be proud that you are getting it back under control.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #11  

luckymommy The Nike Fuel Band was perfect for me. I had been using it non-stop since November, then it conked out last month. I returned it and Nike is sending a replacement.

Breakfast seems to be my downfall. I work within walking distance of a Chick-Fil-A. By the time I get to work I think that I should have a chicken bagel. It is almost Pavlovian. So, now if I eat before heading out I should be able to clear that hurdle and not blow half of my calorie allowance on breakfast.

I use LoseIt every day and that is how I know that I have been consistantly going over my weekly calorie budget by thousands. Now that you mention it, I will actually use it to look back at some of my eating habits whe I was losing.

I have a Kettlebell! I walk by it every day. Why did I not remember that? Thanks for the reminder. I will be sure to check out YouTube for the workouts.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

I'm delighted to hear that you're well on your way and that you have a plan on how you will tackle every one of your obstacles. That is completely awesome! And yes, as Chronostasis mentioned, you're not up that much. Last summer, I gained back 50 lbs. of the 70 lbs. that I had lost prior. I'm working my way back too. So much of it is mental for me and then some of it is physical (sugar makes me terribly hungry so now I try to avoid it).

See you around!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #13  

Congratulations for getting back on the wagon with 5 pounds to lose instead of letting it escalate further. You know what you need to do, and we are here to encourage you on. When I avoid sweets and fast foods, I lose the cravings and then if I have them, they taste terrible and I wonder what I ever saw in them. My other piece of advice is to never get involved in an exercise program that you can't maintain for life because as soon as you stop doing it, you will gain. They are scientific facts that you can google that too much exercise is also counter productive. Weight loss is 80% what we eat and 20% exercise.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #14  

I weighed in at 153.0 this morning.

I stayed within my calories for the last week. I took a day trip to Manhattan on Saturday and I had a nice long walk. According to my fuel band (I received my replacement on Wednesday) I walked 21,719 steps or 8.9 miles.

Thank you all again for understanding and replying to my post.