Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #1  
Nothing is impossible

S/C/G: 296/Ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Smile Couch to 5 K

Hey all! Hope everyone is doing great. I am looking to add exercise to my weekly routine of absolutely no exercise I have a few friends that have done the C25K its an 8 week program with an app that gets you from the couch to running a 5K in well.. 8 weeks Those friends however out of shape they may be are not 100+lbs overweight like I am. My question is...has anyone of you bigger girls done this and if so how did you feel. (did you die?) Cause I think I might Thanks in advance!
SouthernBell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

This is better suited for the Exercise thread. You can certainly do a c25k. You may have to take it a bit slower, and repeat each week which will make the program longer, that's how I've done it. The key is to build up your endurance as you train and listen to your body not to overdo it. It can be done and it's done all the time by gals on this forum.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I am doing a version of it. Zombies run! 5k training. I sometimes have to repeat weeks a couple times. I have problems with breathing. Never diagnosed with asthma but likely have it. my knees feel a little achey some days but thats it.

Just listen to your body. you want to push it but not overdo it. Just build up slowly. Good luck!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

I started in this three weeks ago, on the treadmill at the gym. I was doing well, never having run before. Then I rushed things and tried running outside on asphalt, and my knee protested so I have had to rest it for a week. I cannot wait to get back to it though, and am really wanting to achieve this goal. I'm using a smartphone app to help me through it.
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #5  
Nothing is impossible

S/C/G: 296/Ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for putting this where it belongs I think I'm gonna give it a go. Kids go back to school tomorrow so I should have more time. Wish me luck!
SouthernBell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Hi SouthernBelle! I just signed up for my first 5K, it's on Oct. 20th and I'm doing C25K to prepare (finishing week 1). I'm nervous as heck but figured a deadline would keep me focused. If I live to tell the tale, I'll let you know.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #7  

You need good shoes (if possible go to a store with this), but other than that it is perfectly doable. It may take longer than eight weeks, but that happens to a lot of people.
broccolikatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I started a program like C25K in November 2010 on the treadmill at 289 pounds and I ABSOLUTELY thought I would die. I remember thinking that I never thought 2 minutes could last SO FREAKING LONG LOL!!

Just ran my second 1/2 marathon last weekend.

You go for it!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
I started a program like C25K in November 2010 on the treadmill at 289 pounds and I ABSOLUTELY thought I would die. I remember thinking that I never thought 2 minutes could last SO FREAKING LONG LOL!!

Just ran my second 1/2 marathon last weekend.

You go for it!

Jen
OMG you are such an inspiration!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I did it. Still am.

I started roughly at 260 back in February. I have severe lung issues and when I started, I couldn't even complete the first week until I had been on it for two months. I mean, walking DOWN my stairs was a challenge, much less up! And I wanted to do C25K?!?!?

But, here I am, 30 pounds lighter, 7 months later, EASILY running 3 miles the entire time and can often times get my numbers to 7 minutes a mile, although I will admit I tend to only go that fast on days I am pissed. I usually average 12 minutes a mile....my start was 22 minutes a mile though.

The key is to start slow. If you can't move to the next level quite yet, don't. Get running shoes from a running store that fit properly (I get mine from Fleet Feet.) And have fun. It is surprisingly enpowering to do something you never before thought possible.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

I started c25k when I was 256lbs. I could BARELY get through the first run, which alternated between 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, for about 20 minutes or so. Shortly after I started, I thought "Oh boy - I'm way too heavy for this, and I'm going to hurt myself". I followed a lot of the advice you see here - go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes, go slow (especially at first), and listen to your body. Follow the program - if you feel good during one run or week, don't think you can skip over things. Don't feel bad about repeating runs or weeks if you think you are pushing your body too far too fast. Running is more than just getting your body "cardio fit", a big part of it is building up the tissue/bone strength to combat the stress that your body isn't used to.

I agree with the above poster that it is such an empowering feeling of accomplishment. I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I have - running was something I always swore I would NEVER do.

I ran my first 5k (the Color Run) at the beginning of the summer, after I had just finished the c25k program, and have since run 2 more 5k's. I also moved on to the c210k program, and finished that a couple of weeks ago. I'm now doing 3-4 5 mile runs a week, and am putting a training plan and race schedule in place that has me running a half marathon by the end of next summer.

Be careful - c25k is definitely the "gateway drug" to running!!

Last edited by Fit dad 2b; 09-06-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit dad 2b View Post
Be careful - c25k is definitely the "gateway drug" to running!!
Yes. Yes it is.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

Shall we treat this as the new C25K thread as the old ones too big?

I've just finished week 6 day 2... the last interval training! I'm so relieved the walking intervals are over! After finding week 5 day 3 (20 mins running no breaks) easier than expected I have realised that having breaks just drags the whole process out and makes it more difficult! So day 3 is just 22 minutes running straight and I'm really looking forward to it! I've dropped my speed to 8kmph... although I would like to increase that at some point I'm not too bothered at the moment. I would just like to be able to do 30 minutes running!
Can't believe I made it this far!!
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote