Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1  

Default salty unrestricted snack?

Are there any crunchy, salty, chippy type snacks that are unrestricted- either IP or alternatives?

I would rather use my unrestricted for a "sweet" but have been getting a craving for something salty and snacky!
juicey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #2  

There is a great recipe to make crackers from the potato purée
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I have zucchini chips with salt and garlic powder in the oven right now. Will let you know how they come out - I'm hoping for a salty (slightly?) crunchy snack later tonight!!!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I have zucchini chips with salt and garlic powder in the oven right now. Will let you know how they come out - I'm hoping for a salty (slightly?) crunchy snack later tonight!!!!
Ooooo! Great idea! Yes please do let me know how they turned out!

Did you slice them with a knife or use a mandolin?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicey View Post
Ooooo! Great idea! Yes please do let me know how they turned out!

Did you slice them with a knife or use a mandolin?
Super simple... Sliced with a mandolin but you could slice with a knife. If not super thin will probably take longer to crisp.

Place parchment paper (or silicon sheet) on cookie sheet and spray paper with spray oil (you do need it even w/parchment. Then lay slices out (ok if they are pretty close as they will shrink.) Lightly salt (and spice as you wish). Go light because it will concentrate as they shrink! Bake at 175 for 2 hrs... May need more. I checked at 1.5 hrs and will check at 2 but am pretty sure will need longer.

As you can see it is a plan ahead snack! They are BEST eaten right away. If you save some they will get a little chewy, more like dried fruit.

This is my first time but was the easiest recipe I found. Will post results. If as good as the recipe says I will post in the recipe thread later.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #6  

Oh I'm excited! I just bought a mandolin yet but haven't found a "need" to use it yet. Zucchini chips for all!!!
Woohoo!!

Ok- will wait to hear the results. :-)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #7  

Quote:
Oh I'm excited! I just bought a mandolin yet but haven't found a "need" to use it yet. Zucchini chips for all!!!
Woohoo!!

A bunch of us were making zucchini chips last Fall. They are good but they really dehydrate so there isn't much left.
I've become quite fond of homemade kale chips. I'm making some tonite!

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Make your veggies into crunchy yummies!

* Check out kale chips, which is the #1 crunchy salty food (double plus it's your 2 cups of veggies!)
* Or rutabaga fries
* even a boiled egg white sprinkled with salt (totally free) is a yummy snack (obviously not crunchy!)
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

uh, duh! I've been making zucchini chips non-stop! slice thinly on mandolin or just cut them thin and bake slowly. I ended up doing 30 minutes at 350 and I don't turn them...the center is the only part I've been able to get crunchy. THEY ARE SO GOOD!!! I douse them in salt!!!

I've also made yellow squash chips...they cook super low and slow...and come out good too!!! I prefer the zucchini chips!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #10  

Quote:
Woohoo!!

So... They came out tasty - enjoyed the saltiness and a bit o' crunch. However, as Lisa pointed out, they shrink to a pretty tiny amount. But it was just enough for me to get that salty fix.

I think I was a little too liberal spraying the parchment so they took a little longer to crisp up.

Juicy - I have used my mandolin for years to make zucchini lasagne noodles (lay zucchini on its side and slice into wide "noodles.") Great low carb lasagne! I would make a fairly traditional recipe and sub these for noodles. I have also done it the same way but completely veggie. Of course not since starting IP. But will again!!

Last edited by JLUS; 08-11-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #11  
Started IP 07/29/2013

S/C/G: 206.8/186/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
So... They came out tasty - enjoyed the saltiness and a bit o' crunch. However, as Lisa pointed out, they shrink to a pretty tiny amount. But it was just enough for me to get that salty fix.

I think I was a little too liberal spraying the parchment so they took a little longer to crisp up.

Juicy - I have used my mandolin for years to make zucchini lasagne noodles (lay zucchini on its side and slice into wide "noodles.") Great low carb lasagne! I would make a fairly traditional recipe and sub these for noodles. I have also done it the same way but completely veggie. Of course not since starting IP. But will again!!

Ooohhh... first it was zucchini spaghetti, then lasgana.... and I think you have inspired me to make fettuccini... love , love , love any play on noodles!

maybe with a WF sauce... and some sliced chicken breast! (I already ate, but that sounds good!!)
FrostyBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBobber View Post
Ooohhh... first it was zucchini spaghetti, then lasgana.... and I think you have inspired me to make fettuccini... love , love , love any play on noodles!

maybe with a WF sauce... and some sliced chicken breast! (I already ate, but that sounds good!!)

WF makes an Alfredo sauce... As with any WF. Mixed reviews. Mostly people doctor it up. I have not tried it as my store doesn't carry it (probably most of a would have to order it on line.)