Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

Default Salad Dressings. What do you think of this brand?

Sitting and eating my dinner pondering salad dressing options. WFs isn't my favorite...so I recently discovered a brand called Bolthouse Farms in the refridgerated produce section at Walmart. Now I know it isn't 0/0/0 but really in the big picture will these affect ketosis and losses? Here is the nutrition info for Caesar Parmingiano:

Per 15ml:

Calories 25
Fat 1.5
Carb 1g
Fiber 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 1g

I am having this one on my romaine today and it is yummy! I figure if this dressing is going to let me enjoy my lettuce ad veggies more- so be it! Anyone else's opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you! Oh, and I am talking 1 serving on my greens not 1/2 a bottle

Last edited by jmanovich; 08-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
jmanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/119.8/125 r/b 136/136/125

Height: 5'2"

The dressing recipe my coach gave me is tastier than the WF. 2/3c apple cider vinegar; 1/3c olive oil; spicy mustard; salt; pepper.
kkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

it has yogurt, pineapple juice, buttermilk, soyabean oil, sour cream milk, cream, asagio cheese - none of which are on the approved list - it is not always just the nutiritional information - you have to be careful of ingredients that will keep you out of ketosis
you seem very intent on having things that aren't on the program - you have to trust it at some point for it to work
There are a lot of approved recipies for different dressings
personally the no calorie dressings are gross so I make my own from the recipied and count it towards my oil for the day as most of them contain olive oil
saskgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #4  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

There are a lot of options for staying on program in phase 1. If you don't like the WF dressings, try the WF BBQ sauce as a salad dressing. I also use plain stone ground mustard as a salad dressing.

You are an adult and can make your own choices as far as whether you want to be 100% OP or not. But if you do not follow the plan and have cheats here and there (and that is what that dressing is), then the results are not guaranteed.
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Just for another idea I use WF dressing and add OP items to it or a better dressing. Ip is a hard diet but great results good luck
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248.2/ticker/150

Height: 5'5""

I have tried the WF ceasar dressing. I can get that down and I dont mind it at this point. But the raspberry, DON'T GO THERE! It is really, really bad.
shayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

I ordered a whole bunch of WF products and threw everyone out after tasting. TAKE NOTE NEWBIES: TRY one or two before purchasing WF, they taste like chemicals, yuck.

I don't think your Bolthouse Dressing will make a bit of difference in your weight loss. I use EVOO & vinegar.

Last edited by Bellamack; 08-11-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanovich View Post
Sorry I do take some offense to your post. I am not trying to go off protocol just for fun- I am trying to find a dressing I enjoy on my salad. And in my opinion, yes it does all come down to the nutritional information. All foods contain the same basic ingredients- sugar, carbs, protein, fats...the reason certain foods are not on the IP protocol all comes down to nutrition information and how much of each basic food ingredient it contains. If asiao cheese, pineapple juice, buttermilk etc had no carbs, sugar, etc like lettuce it would be on the plan. Just because it is pineapple juice (just for example) doesn't automatically make it off plan. The amounts of the carbs and sugars in 15ml of dressing is so low, how could it possibly through one of of ketosis? If that was the case- ALOT of the IP foods would throw you out of ketosis as well...as numerous IP foods have small amounts of carbs and sugar.

I know there is a sticky about healthcare professionals on this forum posting advice- but I do have a university degree in healthcare and have taken classes in biochemistry and anatomy and physiology. Ketosis is all about depleting the glycogen store. From what I have researched, 20g of carbs per day or less is what is required to maintain ketosis. So I guess- I have really answered my own question regarding this dressing. There just simply isn't enough carbs or sugar in 15ml of this dressing to make a signifcant impact...once again in my opinion. Anyway- I am going to continue to use up my bottle of it and we will see how my WIs go! That will be the ultimate deciding factor!
Whatevs - I am not going to apologize for calling it as I see it - I am not a coddler
Not sure what being a healthcare professional has to do with anything as there are lots on this board and we are all here for the same reason - we have eaten too much of the wrong thing and made excuses all our lives
anyhoo it's your $80 a week - I will spend mine being true to myself.
saskgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #9  

Justifying using off-plan items due to knowledge may not be a good idea.

I know A LOT about ketogenic diets. I've been studying about them for over 10 years. It didn't cure me nor keep me thin. When I finally "gave in" and became willing to do whatever the plan said, whether I agreed with it or not, I started to get my health back. I speak from experience and a 95 lb weight loss, of which I am willing to display "proof in the pics".

If my knowledge coulda fixed me, it would have. It didn't. When I chose IP, I had to surrender to the rules of the plan. 100%. No excuses. I had a "failure is not an option" mindset. I was falling apart on the outside and dying on the inside.

If I can't have cheese, I won't have it (although it is fine for ketogenic diets). If the type of salad greens matter, fine. If some greens aren't on the list, I can live without them temporarily. If butter matters, I won't have it (again, fine for ketogenic diets).

When someone asks for input about a product then doesn't like the input, to the point of defensiveness, I have to wonder why they bothered to ask?

We are either ON the IP plan, or we are doing something else. I'm in it to win it (and lose it).

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-12-2013 at 06:26 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

I know A LOT about ketogenic diets. I've been studying about them for over 10 years. It didn't cure me nor keep me thin. When I finally "gave in" and became willing to do whatever the plan said, whether I agreed with it or not, I started to get my health back. I speak from experience and a 95 lb weight loss, of which I am willing to display "proof in the pics".

If my knowledge coulda fixed me, it would have. It didn't. When I chose IP, I had to surrender to the rules of the plan. 100%. No excuses. I had a "failure is not an option" mindset. I was falling apart on the outside and dying on the inside.

If I can't have cheese, I won't have it (although it is fine for ketogenic diets). If the type of salad greens matter, fine. If some greens aren't on the list, I can live without them temporarily. If butter matters, I won't have it (again, fine for ketogenic diets).

When someone asks for input about a product then doesn't like the input, to the point of defensiveness, I have to wonder why they bothered to ask?

We are either ON the IP plan, or we are doing something else. I'm in it to win it (and lose it).
Totally agree!!!
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #11  
Joined IP on 07/15/13

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

Quote:

Lisa, I totally agree with you - You have to really set your mind to the plan and even though it is quite difficult to sacrifice some of the foods we used to eat, the results are not lying... You are the living proof and look amazing !

On another note, I always "tweak" my WF products
* Caesar dressing, Honey Dijon & Blue cheese - I always add some vinegar to it, lemon and spices.. sometimes even with a dab of WF ketchup
* I also mix together mayo and ketchup, or mayo and bbq...I never eat them alone because they do not taste too well by themselves

The kitchen has been my lab since I was 10 years old... always have been and always will be ! I just had to re-adapt my kitchen to my new way of cooking even though I still make a lot of things homemade for my family (pasta, bread....) without actually falling into the arms of temptations !! No cheating allowed !! 100 % committed to the plan !

I actually came up with the following dressing - I make it every time (almost) that I have a salad and prepare it directly in the bowl for my salad

olive oil (1tsp only per dressing) - mustard - water - lemon - garlic - salt & pepper and some herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chives...)

Have a great IP day everyone

Frenchy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #12  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy71 View Post
Lisa, I totally agree with you - You have to really set your mind to the plan and even though it is quite difficult to sacrifice some of the foods we used to eat, the results are not lying... You are the living proof and look amazing !

On another note, I always "tweak" my WF products
* Caesar dressing, Honey Dijon & Blue cheese - I always add some vinegar to it, lemon and spices.. sometimes even with a dab of WF ketchup
* I also mix together mayo and ketchup, or mayo and bbq...I never eat them alone because they do not taste too well by themselves

The kitchen has been my lab since I was 10 years old... always have been and always will be ! I just had to re-adapt my kitchen to my new way of cooking even though I still make a lot of things homemade for my family (pasta, bread....) without actually falling into the arms of temptations !! No cheating allowed !! 100 % committed to the plan ! 5

I actually came up with the following dressing - I make it every time (almost) that I have a salad and prepare it directly in the bowl for my salad

olive oil (1tsp only per dressing) - mustard - water - lemon - garlic - salt & pepper and some herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chives...)

Have a great IP day everyone

I want to try this recipe. I don't like the WF dressings, as a rule. However, the chipotle ranch is pretty good, and the thousand island is good on big mac in a bowl. I stick with grapeseed oil and apple cider vinegar. I wasn't used to tasting my salad in the past. I put so much fatty salad dressings and cheese on it that it was more like soup salad! Give it some time and your taste buds will adjust and you will find that you like the flavors of the greens and veggies lightly dressed.

Keep in mind that it may feel as though others are reprimanding you, but everyone is trying to provide you with insights that have come from a variety of experiences. This is meant to be supportive and can sound like "tough love" but is very well intended.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default The support we offer each other...

.. For what I've learned, seen and tried to do since reading and joining in January....
We are here to offer support to each other in staying OP.

Not to experiment, reinvent the guidelines or hijack rules most of us are trying to follow by looking for ways to relax the parameters.

I want to be talked of any ledges I get myself on...and hope my 2 cents can be helpful to someone else when they are ready to jump off plan..or extend a hand when they are trying to get a leg back up here to climb back on!!!

Last edited by 65X65; 08-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #14  

Quote:

Amen sister!

I also don't like the WF dressings on salads. I have been using them as marinades, or the 1000 island on Big Mac in a Bowl. I do not reccomend spending your money on that dressing since it is so creamy. Maybe try making your own instead?
coloradogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #15  
Joined IP on 07/15/13

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
I want to try this recipe. I don't like the WF dressings, as a rule. However, the chipotle ranch is pretty good, and the thousand island is good on big mac in a bowl. I stick with grapeseed oil and apple cider vinegar. I wasn't used to tasting my salad in the past. I put so much fatty salad dressings and cheese on it that it was more like soup salad! Give it some time and your taste buds will adjust and you will find that you like the flavors of the greens and veggies lightly dressed.

Keep in mind that it may feel as though others are reprimanding you, but everyone is trying to provide you with insights that have come from a variety of experiences. This is meant to be supportive and can sound like "tough love" but is very well intended.
Forgot to add vinegar in that dressing I am making... LOL so here we go again :

1tsp olive oil - mustard - water - lemon - vinegar - garlic - salt & pepper + herbs (rosemary, thyme, chive, basil.... anything you like)

One for every 5ib loss
Frenchy71 is offline   Reply With Quote