PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #1  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Actos for PCOS IR?

Hi all,

I'm trying a new medication for my insulin resistance. I initially took Metformin for a few years, but dealt with awful side effects. I asked for something different about six months ago and my doctor prescribed Januvia. I have since then gained about 25 lbs, so I assume it's *really* not working, so I called and asked for yet another medication. I was given the choice of going back to metformin, or trying Actos. Of course, I went with Actos, and I should receive the prescription in a few days. Has anyone had success with Actos?
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I think I would stay far away from actos in light of the class action lawsuit. It is alleged that it caused bladder cancer, congestive heart failure and/or death in diabetes patients.

Last edited by mariposssa; 08-07-2013 at 07:24 PM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What metformin was it? Regular or extended release? Did you take it with food? Was it generic or brand? Maybe that matters.

Sometimes changing to "the other one" could help. Like go from regular to extended or the other way around.

I've done Metformin regular (ugh), Metformin XR (fine), Glumetza (fine), Fortamet XR (fine), Glucophage XR (fine).

Hang in there!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #4  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

Astrophe, that's a good suggestion. If the actos doesn't work, I'll look into it. Maripossa, those same TV commercials exist for Januvia, Metformin, Lipitor, and more. They're just ambulance chasers. Also, if I'm going off of those commercials, then Januvia is worse than Actos, so I should switch anyway.
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote