General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default What are your Reading-Aug 2013 Edition

New month everyone! Please share what you are reading this month.

I am just finishing up Heart of the Matter by Emily Griffin. Next up I think I will go into her next book Where We Belong.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #2  

Ooh, love this thread! I just finished rereading In The Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. First read it when I was fourteen... I'm nearly 23 now and it's been one of my favorites for all the years in between. It's a beautifully, beautifully-told story (historical fiction) of the Mirabal sisters, who opposed the dictatorship of Trujillo in the Dominican Republic during the 1940's and 50's. Absolutely gorgeous and moving. Highly recommend!!
Eva03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/120/fit

Height: 5'2"

A week or so ago, I had a dream that I was Harry Potter, fighting Voldemort in an underground railway station. I was extremely disappointed to wake up and find that I am not, in fact, Harry Potter, so naturally I decided to reread the series. At least I can live vicariously through all of the cool characters!

I'm also reading House of Leaves, but I'm not very far along.
Nienna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/168.6/140

Height: 5'8"

I just started reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green after my sister recommended it. It is really easy to read and engaging--I'm never quite sure what is going to happen next, and I can be crying one page and laughing out loud 4 pages later. Also, it's written from the point of view of a teenage girl and it is Spot. On. I feel like most writers of young adult fiction rely on stereotypes of "oh, this is a teenager, so she is .... angsty? And likes boys?" The main character really feels like a person, and I often find myself nodding my head at her choices.

Haha, so yeah, in case you couldn't tell, I'm totally hooked.
lollerskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I don't know anyone who has made it through House of Leaves. I just didn't get it. Good luck!

My pile of books is extra tall this month. I guess all my library holds came it at once. I'm currently reading The Execution of Noa P. Singleton.

In The Time of Butterflies was really moving.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollerskates View Post
I just started reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green after my sister recommended it. It is really easy to read and engaging--I'm never quite sure what is going to happen next, and I can be crying one page and laughing out loud 4 pages later. Also, it's written from the point of view of a teenage girl and it is Spot. On. I feel like most writers of young adult fiction rely on stereotypes of "oh, this is a teenager, so she is .... angsty? And likes boys?" The main character really feels like a person, and I often find myself nodding my head at her choices.

Haha, so yeah, in case you couldn't tell, I'm totally hooked.
That one has been on my list for a while!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I'm a fan of Amish fiction, so I just finished "A hopeful heart" and I'm planning to start on Beth Wiseman's newest "Plain peace" ASAP.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

I just finished Beautiful Creatures (so much better then the movie) and started reading Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Still reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, on book 6 or 7. Just kind of reading them in succession on my Nook, so not really keeping track of the number. It's strange to see how far the show has deviated from the books, but I like both for different reasons. Hoping to get to the final book before the end of the month!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #10  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I just finished a bit of fluff - Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews, and also Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter. Both were just OK. Yesterday I started State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - it's great so far! I usually read a book on the treadmill, and not at any other time in order to entice myself to get to the gym. Not sure I'll be able to resist with this one!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

Just finished She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, I really enjoyed it so I moved on to another one of his books I Know This Much is True, but I don't like it as much. I've realized that, with the exception of Harry Potter, I'm not really into books written from the male perspective.

I'm almost done with The Short Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. It's a more modern novel but contains a lot of historical fiction from the Trujillo time period in the Dominican Republic (same time period as In the Time of Butterflies). It's one of the best books I've ever read. Very real, very funny. Another exception for male perspective I just realized.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 189.6/189.6/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna86 View Post
A week or so ago, I had a dream that I was Harry Potter, fighting Voldemort in an underground railway station. I was extremely disappointed to wake up and find that I am not, in fact, Harry Potter, so naturally I decided to reread the series. At least I can live vicariously through all of the cool characters!
I'm glad i'm not the only potterhead here I'm rereading the series too , I just can't get enought of it
MaryQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm reading Cooked by Michael Pollan which is really good and motivating me to step up my game in the kitchen.

I just finished Calculated in Death by J.D. Robb and it was a fun addition to the series.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #14  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

I am in the middle of a pretty deep non-fiction binge. I just finished Freakonomics, just started Lean In.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #15  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I just found Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn at the Goodwill for $1.99 in hardback! I'm so excited. I never find current books there. I can't wait to get started, since I've heard great reviews.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote