General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Wedding question

So, I am getting married next June and am confused about what to do for the dance. I know tradition it is just the normal father-daughter dance. That being said, I am marrying into a wonderful family and absolutely love my new father-in-law and my mother-in-laws hubby.

Is it weird to split the dance up into 3?? A few minutes with my dad, a few with his dad, and a few with the step-dad or save it for just my dad and his dad??

Just looking for some input on the subject, and see what others think about it. Thanks!
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Do what you want, it's your wedding. I think it's sweet that you want to include the other Dads. Maybe have the DJ explain what you're doing, so there's no confusion, and pick a song that suits each man.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I know I will be running into the same problem when I get married (I have my dad, my fiance's dad, and my fiance's mother's husband), and I've decided that my father-daughter dance is with my dad alone. I love my other two dads-in-law, but my dad is the one giving me away, and he is the one who deserves that special dance.

What I will do is make sure I dance with both my new in-laws at some point in the night, as they are deserving of that one-on-one time also. I'm not sure if I'll pick songs to dance with them specifically, but they will get a dance, even if it's not part of the "traditional" dances.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #4  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

In all the weddings I've been to, the bride dances with her father. I do remember one wedding where (after the Father/Daughter dance) the DJ announced that she would now dance with her new father-in-law, and the groom danced with his new mother-in-law. At some point, their significant others cut in, and the bride and groom then danced together again.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the replies! Think I will let them all know before the wedding and arrange a dance lesson before the wedding (my dad is flying out from WV).
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I didn't do any of those, I danced with everyone without spotlighting it. I feel it's contrived "here comes the father/daughter dance!" and it doesn't feel or look authentic to me. Why does it have to be a singled out event? Why can't you just dance with everyone and not make it a big deal? I don't know, that's just me I guess.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Honestly it is your wedding so do whatever feels right to you and your DH-to-be. We cut out the father daughter dance and the Mother son dance because my father isn't in my life and his mother has passed, if his mother hadn't passed I likely would have danced with my grandfather and kept both as my grandfather is the closest thing to a father I have had.

I did end up dancing with both my grandfather and my uncle who has also been a sorta father substitute over the years, we just did not spotlight it in the same way as we would have if it was orchestrated.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:10 AM   #8  

It sounds like you have a lovely dilemma because of the great relationships you have with your dad, your father-in-law, and your step-dad. Splitting the dance into three parts to honor each of them seems like a heartfelt and inclusive idea. Each dance could symbolize the unique bond you share with them. Plus, it adds a personal touch to your wedding that guests will remember. Just like when looking for the perfect wedding attire, where JJsHouse reviews can guide you to the best choices, listening to what feels right for you will make your day special. It's your wedding, so customizing it to reflect your family dynamics makes it all the more meaningful.
jassieterlington is online now   Reply With Quote