Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Help! I (temporarily) can't cook!

So I'm just getting started (yet again) on my new healthy lifestyle. It's been a week. Yesterday I bought a bunch of nice, healthy groceries so I could make a bunch of lunches for the week and make it easy to stay on track. Then, while slicing an avocado, I cut the *%#* out of my finger. So now I have stitches, a splint, and orders not to use my finger or get it wet for more than a minute or two for a week.

As in no hand-washing dishes (and yes, I asked about this specifically). Which is a problem for a single woman with no dishwasher. Another problem is that it really hurts doing anything with my left hand even if it's just the uninsured fingers. So I'm thinking I'll have to try not to generate dirty dishes this week. I bought paper plates and plastic forks, etc., but I obviously did not buy paper pots and pans.

Any suggestions for one-handed, no-cooking meals? Should I just go buy a week's worth of lean cuisines? Cost-effective suggestions in particular are very welcome.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #2  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Ouch, sorry about your finger! Why must avocados be so dangerously delicious?

If I had to go w/o cooking, I'd subsist on rotisseries chicken, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit & veg, frozen veg that can be steamed in the bag, sandwiches, yogurt, cottage cheese, and nuts. And chocolate.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Ouch!

Frozen dinners really aren't such a terrible idea. There are tastier and more healthful options than ever before. Often a quick google search can yield decent coupons for most brands even for brands like Evol, Amy's Kitchen, Kashi, Atkins, and Marie Callender (watch the Marie Callender brand, some are very high calorie).

Even many of the dinners that aren't "diet" focused are usually reasonably portion/calorie controlled, so label reading is key.

The sodium levels can be really high, but if youdon't have health issues affected by sodium, drinking extra water is usually sufficient. Even though I have high blood pressure, I'm not sodium sensitive. In fact, my body doesn't hold on to sodium well for some reason, and I've even had to take sodium pills before surgery. My blood sodium levels are sometimes so low, my doctor will suggest a few days of high salt eating. It may be the amount of water I drink, or just a personal quirk.

At any rate, not everyone, even not everyone with high blood pressure needs to watch or restrict sodium.

I usually like cooking, but due to health and time issues, I've been doing "The Simple Diet" (meal replacements like shakes, frozen dinners, soups, bars supplemented with fruits and veggies).

I'm gaining a new appreciation for frozen dinners.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

You can try baking on some meals aluminum foil and using paper plates/plastic utensils. Not super eco-friendly, but at least it's short term.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm going with frozen meals and snacking on apples and carrot sticks. I guess this'll be good practice in making healthy choices even when life gets nuts, right?

P.S. The official story is that I was juggling knives.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I would suggest prepackaged goods like salads, lean cuisines, etc.

I hope you heal quickly!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

LOL @ your "official" story, Caro!

Everyone else has given you great advice already.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Caro, Bless your heart! I have to admit LMBO at the way you told about your dilemma. Too funny!

I also think you have gotten great advice. I would definitely go with the prepackaged meals or whatever makes life easier until you're able to use both hands fully again.
Liz45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #9  

It turns out that my office just made a video on how best to slice an avocado. Obviously enough I was not a part of the project, but my boss questioned me very closely as to my methods, then went and re-watched the video to make sure they didn't do it my way. LOL.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/200/140

ROFL! Now, THAT'S Hilarious! I hope your hand is in a good bit better shape now.

Last edited by Liz45; 08-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Liz45 is offline   Reply With Quote