Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Default August Chat

Decided to start the August Chat although it doesn't seem like we are doing much here on this thread. However, I hope we can keep this diabetic thread going to support each other.

A new month started with only a small loss this month from last month. Bouncing up and down with 5 lbs, but determined that now that I've lost the 5 lbs to keep the scale going down.

Hope everyone will have a good day and hope to see y'all back here soon.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for starting us up, Patty. I have not been checking in much. When that happens, it's almost always because I'm off program. at myself.

July was a stressful month and I kind of lost track of my health priorities. No, I've still not gone for bloodwork. Had a friend visit last week and managed to see 198.8 on the scale by last Monday - 20 pounds more than two years ago and as much as before I started Victoza! Luckily cutting carbs and being careful this week brought me down to 189 this morning. I'm sure a lot of it was water weight but not all!

I am determined to get back down to where I was two years ago. My incentive is a family wedding mid-September and I want to wear the dress I wore to a wedding two years ago when I was in the mid-170s!

Thought of doing Atkins Induction but decided to stay with South Beach and cut the carbs. Peach and corn season is not the time to cut carbs!

Now to start checking FBGL regularly.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #3  

Ruthie So glad to see you here and to hear the scale is moving back down. SB is good for you as you always do so well on it. I understand about the peach season. That is one reason that I decided not to do low carb like Atkins. There are just some foods that I don't want to give up so I'm trying to learn portion control and more of a balance.

I'm learning to cook again because I want to start cooking a lot of the foods at home that we enjoy when eating out to eat like pizza and Chinese food. I still have to use some bought processed foods, but I can regulate the portions better. DH is diabetic 2 now and his has really been high so I seem to have more incentive to do it. You know how us women are about taking care of others when we won't do it so much for us.

Carol Sue How are you doing?

Bonnie, Fatmad and others Come out come out wherever you are. You are missed. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

Checking in. Up a pound this morning and FBGL a tad higher than usual. I went waaaaaay off program last night with about 800 calories of pizza. Bad timing as I am scheduled for a birthday party dinner tonight. Oh well, I'll do my best.

Next week I will definitely go for bloodwork. I have a mammogram too and may be able to work it so I have just one trip to town. (I'm doing my best to make my life less stressful.)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #5  

Had a really good eating day good eating day today and even did some walking. Got to beauty shop and beautician needed 15 more minutes with someone else so I walked over to the grocery store and back while she was busy. Then went over to Walmart and walked around shopping. So I'm pleased with my OP day.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #6  

WI this morning was a 1 lb loss for this week. Blood work this morning. Hoping to see some improvements on some things when I get the results at next docs visit in 2 weeks.

Have a good day.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hello. I have not been on here because I am totally out of control. I am going to have to make up my mind to post here every day whether I do well or not. My eating is out of control, my blood sugar is out of control, my blood pressure is out of control..... Yesterday I weighed in at 201, but refuse to change my ticker. I need to get down below 200 again. I have a doctor's appointment on the 14th and I think I am going to cancel and reschedule in September. That will give me a little more time to get myself straightened out. I get so mad at myself when I do this. I was down to 182, so I've put back almost 20 lbs.

To make things even worse, I went to my Grandson's birthday party on Friday and there was a couple there I haven't seen for a year. The husband has lost 80 lbs and the wife lost 40 since last year. They both look so wonderful. I wanted to cry. There is absolutely no reason why I couldn't have done that, too.

I did start exercising again. Not every day, but at least twice a week. I was all keyed up to go down to my exercise room and then my BIL called and said he was coming over. He and my husband do things in the garage. He has a habit of coming in to "watch me exercise." If I wanted people watching me I'd join a gym. He will make comments that I'm not exercising hard enough, why aren't I sweating, etc. He's a jerk. He has no room to talk. He drives to his mailbox! LOL So now I didn't exercise. Tomorrow is another day. At 6 PM I totally poop out and I never exercise in the evening. I'm a morning person.

Trish, I have not tried toe jerky recipe yet. I think I will get some teryaki sauce and use that instead of worcestershire. I really don't like it. I have been looking at some of the jerky packages in the store to see what they have in them. My husband doesn't like it too hot and spicy either.

Ruth and Trish, reading about your successes should help me try to do better.

We do need to get the rest of the crowd back here.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #8  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Thanks Wannabehealthy. I am glad they finally they got this site fixed the last time I came on I got a virus warning.
Well I had a lot going on here lately . Had to go to the Dr the 2000 metformin he had me on was keeping in the bathroom so he knocked me back to 500 am and then one pm and then added glipi zide. Doing ok but I am having problems with the Torn Mencius going to get a mri on it on the 19 cant believe I have to wait that long but insurance requires a pre authorization. Other then that I am cool.
My Aunt had her surgery she went in on the 13 and had a whipple done where they take a portion of her pancreas and her Lymp noids and her dule ademion . She spent 12 days in the hospital I ended up staying about a week cause she would freak out if some one wasn't their. Now she has started her on a chemo where she does it once a week for 3 weeks then off one week for 6 months. She has to go get a port put in on Monday so I will be their too. She was positive for cancer even though all the test said no signs of cancer.

Other then that I have been putting together some scrap booking for my kids for Christmas. they don't have pics of them self or their spouses so I thought this was a good idea got lots of pics from their family.

Well better be going hopefully I can jump back in here later as long as all goes well.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

We should just come in and post whether or not things are going fine. a or a would do.

My scale is stuck at 190.2 for two days now. (I saw 188 the day before.) I have been sticking to plan - limiting bread and absolutely no sugar. I guess it'll leave when it's ready.

My friends who were at the cottage are back to the city now - sort of a relief not to have to join them for dinner so often. they wanted em there every night as a thank-you for dog sitting their two - starch/starch/starch made it hard.

Went with a friend today to have her dog put to sleep - made a beef stew for her and her kids which was appreciated. I did save some for myself and will have it with spinach salad.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #10  

Bonnie and Carol Sue So glad to see y'all.

Bonnie You have a lot on your plate, but you are handling things very well. So good that you are there for your aunt. Looking at your ticker, it appears you are doing very well losing weight. Making the scrapbooks for your kids sounds like a really nice Christmas present. My Mama was always going to do that for us, but died before she could do it. All the pictures got lost after and now I have none. Your children will love and appreciate what your doing for years to come.

Carol Sue I know exactly how you feel about not coming here when things aren't going good, I've done that at times myself. I'm doing good right now, but like a recovering alcoholic, I know each day has to stand on its own. I've done really great before and then blown the whole thing especially in the last 3 yrs or so. I just pray that this time that I'm going to succeed and then maintain when I do. I know this is going to be slow losing the weight and I know that is better because it stays off better when it is slow, but at the same time I know I have to try not to look at how long it is going to take as that has always been what throws me off plan.

Ruthie It is so frustrating how my body reacts to weight loss at this age. I can lose a few lbs and have it bounce back for a few days and then it goes away. I've kind of learned that I'm having to just go with the flow as they say otherwise it drives me crazy. I think if we can just keep on keeping on doing what we know to do that it will finally pay off.

I agree that we need to check in here as often as possible for the support we give each other. Diabetes is a "B" and I've learned that I need to know that I'm not the only one fighting this thing. I'm hoping we can keep this thread going. Sure do miss Fatmad. The things she shared with us about this disease has really helped me to keep fighting. I sure do hope she makes it back here too. Sure hope she is okay.

I did 20 min on the bike today. I really had to make myself do it, but if I don't do it, my joints especially my hip joints hurt when I don't. I have 2 days on plan. Taking this one day at a time.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #11  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI friends: I will come back and try again.
I have been away, quite disgusted with my lack of control. In June, when my job share partner was on holiday, I really went off the rails. Didn't get back to normal in July. I am on holidays myself this month, and hope to do better.
I don't have a scale here on Manitoulin, but can eat right. I plan to walk 30 minutes a day (might be 2 x 15 min) and do some yoga. It is cool here, so swimming may not happen much.
I leant my glucose monitor to a client, but could get one if needed, but a1c's have stayed normal, so may not bother for now.

I am disappointed in myself, and want to get back on track.
Bonnie, sorry to hear about your auntie, I hope things will go ok, even if that means good palliative care for her.

Ruth, I am totally understanding your struggles. I have no off switch when it comes to food I like.

Thanks for the kick in the butt Carol Sue.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

I LOVE Manitoulin Island, Mad, and am also glad to see you back here.

Scale down .2 this morning - a pittance but I'll take it. The Big C has come to visit so today will be a fiber and water sort of day. I do have my regular mammogram this morning to start off my day. While in town, I plan to get some bran to make a high fiber, no sugar batch of breakfast muffins. Been baking for everyone else and should do so for me.

Hang in there, chickies. (No, I've still not gone for bloodwork!)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi all: middle of yesterday did not stay on plan, too many carbs, but did alright. Started of on plan for breakfast at least. I crave carbs at this time of day, but if I have a carby breakfast, I crave them all day and lose any control over my eating I might have had.
Its raining and blustery here today. Will try to walk between rains, and read a lot today.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #14  

Good Morning Chickies,

So glad to see you Mad. I really have missed you. I think we are all struggling but have to just keep at it and for me it helps to have y'all here for us to support each other. It is so hard especially when trying to do it on my own.

I'm up 2.6 lbs this morning and I'm like you were yesterday Ruthie I'm wondering why? I'm doing everything right so what the heck. I think it might be because I didn't take my fluid pill last night. I know the doc said it is a mild one and that I can take it every day, but DH Mother took Lasix and it got to where it had the opposite effect on her and her doc told Tony that it was because she had taken it for so many years and too often. I don't know if that is true about all fluid pills or just the Lasix. Maybe Mad knows. Any way, I'm going to keep doing what I know to do and hope for it to all pan out. I did 20 min on the recumbent stationary bike. Strange to me how that has become my medicine for my joints. They seem to be getting better now that I'm riding it almost everyday. Was going to do 30 min 3 times a week 20 min 3, but may just go ahead and do 20 min a day 6 days a week. Main thing is consistency. I'll have to hit the water more today and maybe take a fluid pill later today. These bodies are so crazy and we just have to learn to do what we have to do to take care of them. I do know that I need more fiber. Got me some Metamucil but I can't tell that it is doing anything. I think it causes my fbs to go up instead of down like it does for other people.

Oh well, I've bored y'all enough. Y'all have a great day.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Bonnie - Glad you came back. I had trouble with the virus warning for a while but it has been fine lately. Just a glitch, I guess.

You are doing very well taking care of your aunt. If I ever get sick, I would want you around. {{{Bonnie}}}. My children are actually step children. Their mother passed away. There was a photo album here with all their childhood pictures which included their mother. On year for Christmas I sorted out the pictures and made an album for each of them. That was their favorite gift that year and they carried it with them everywhere, showing everyone. It's a wonderful gift. Most people have all their photos online these days.

Hi Mad - Glad you came back, too. I sent PM to a couple others so maybe they will come back too. All of us with diabetes need to stick together because our diet needs are about more than just losing weight. You will do ok even without a scale. Sometimes it just gets you in more trouble when you stress over the scale. Just go by how you feel and how your clothes fit.

Trish - I never had Shepherds Pie but decided to try a recipe I saw for dinner last night. It called for 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce but since I don't like it I left it out. Before putting it together I tasted the filling and it seemed a little bland, so I put in a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce...1 tsp or less, and it did the trick. It wasn't overpowering, but added something to the taste. So I guess I like it, but in limited quantities. I will put a dash or 2 in the marinate for the beef jerky.

Ruth - I so want to see the 180s. Instead, I'm going the wrong way. But I will get back to it. I already screwed up today because we went out for breakfast, but I will have a big salad for supper and try to do damage control.
Closed Thread