Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Protein shakes....yay or nay?

OK. So here's the deal. I'm looking to lose 22 pounds (erm, since that's the amount I seem to have *somehow* put back on since last May...d'oh! Bad me!)

Anyway. I'm aiming to do an hour of cardio five days a week, with weight training three days a week. My cardio usually consists of some combination of treadmill, elliptical, and stairmaster, and my weight routine isn't exactly Miss Universe-calibre, but I am looking to tone up quite a bit.

What I'm finding, though, is that on my cardio days I'm usually quite a bit hungrier than I am on non-cardio days, and sometimes I end up overdoing it with the points (I'm doing Weight Watchers.) So I've been thinking about protein shakes. But then...I don't know why, but I always associate protein drinks/shakes/bars with, like, bodybuilder types (I work at a gym so this is most likely where I got this mental connection.)

Anyone out there who drinks protein shakes after a cardio workout? If so, do you buy the pre-mixed ones, or just buy the protein powder and mix it into your own homemade protein drinks? And on that score: any recipes for homemade ones (since I live in a tiny town and there's not much in the way of places where I can buy protein powder, except Wal-Mart and Sobeys)?
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I use one to help me get through to lunch after a big workout. I also eat a lot of salads so am aware that I do need a protein boost with the amount of exercise I do (typically I do weight training 5 days a week and run 5 miles 6-7 days a week).

The thing to watch for with the protein mixes and shakes are the calories. Some are quite high in the calorie range. There are some low-calorie pre-mixed ones but I have now moved on to Isoflex which I mix with water. I get 30g of protein for about 110 calories with that. Not bad at all.

By the way, working out will make your weight more volatile than simply dieting alone as you will have muscle gain and water weight that messes with your scale numbers. Just be ready for that.

Last edited by IanG; 08-01-2013 at 10:35 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm currently on "The Simple Diet" (from the book by Anderson and Gustafson) which relies on shakes and frozen entrees.

I make my own shakes using plain, unflavored whey protein. The unflavored protein powder is harder to find, especially the one I prefer (an easy-dissolve aka cold-process or microfiltered whey protein isolate such as Syntrax Medical).

Today I added a new shake (and variation) recipe to my blog. I was craving an orange sherbet with dark chocolate flecks that I used to buy (Edy's brand). So I made a "Dreamsicle shake" and added 1/2 a Dove promises square, shaved into the blender cup. A few chocolate chips would work too.

I also make a similar "chocolate cherry" shake using frozen cherries in place of the strawberries and cherry or pomegranate Cherry Crystal Light packets instead of orange (using water or Diet Sprite for the liquid).

You could use vanilla protein powder instead of unflavored, and cut back on the other sweet ingredients, such as using plain yogurt instead of frozen yogurt. You might want to add an ice cube or more frozen fruit to make the shake thicker and ice creamier.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #4  

i drink a whey protein chocolate shake almost daily (Optimum Nutrition) and i add only water for the liquid and i blend in a large handful of frozen (or fresh) blueberries, 2 T. dark cocoa, stevia to sweeten, handful each of kale and spinach (CANT taste them) and lately a Tablespoon of almond butter (yummmmyyy) as i think i need more fats and a handful of ice. LOVE it and nutritious, too.
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #5  

I do--one banana--sometimes along with low fat flavored yogurt--vanilla protein powder--ice and a little low fat milk-in the blender--and that's my typical breakfast after a cardio workout. And when I have them a tablespoon of Chia seeds for energy. I love them anyway.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I will often do one for breakfast, I like the syntrax nectar chocolate or vanilla about 25 grams of protien 0 carbs for 100 calories, I mix it in to unsweetened almond milk, usually 2 cups, with instant coffee.

I will often mix up 3 cups of almond milk with 1 scoop of mix and use it in my coffee in place of milk for a couple of days.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote