Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~August Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? 70 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #2  
Bobbi

Happy August girls!
We didn't have a summer this year, worked thru it. Our house is mostly done, a little more painting to do and a big clean-up in the basement once the garage gets finished. The foundation is laid and the cement driveway is in. We have two rented storage shed full of garage stuff, it'll be nice getting that expense out of the way. Our lawn is as big as a postage stamp, but next to a huge woods. We have so many song birds we feed. The raccoons, squirrels and crows found the nut and fruit seed we buy for the cardinals. grrrrrrrrrrrrr, they feed on it daily. Yesterday I saw a neighborhood cat eating it too. I told Bruce to buy me a BB gun. I'll post some pictures if I don't have to re-size them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1584.jpg (43.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1585.jpg (35.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1586.jpg (55.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #3  
Bobbi

Posting those picture was easy, no re-sizing. Here's some dining room shots. The antique table in the corner with the lamp on it was Bruce's grandmothers table. When MIL moved into the nursing home, I brought it home and re-finished it. Bruce's dad had used it in his basement for a work bench. There are tiny saw marks on one side of it, what was he thinking? If I look on the positive side, it adds character to the table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1571.jpg (27.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1574.jpg (27.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1579.jpg (26.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1581.jpg (36.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1580.jpg (26.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-31-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

thanks Bobbi
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #5  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Bobbi - I love your house!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 318/218/160

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm back

Been gone for a while...wasn't serious about losing and just faded away.

But I'm back. Looking forward to losing weight. Unfortunately I've gained back 10 of the pounds I lost, but I'm back on track. Would like to be under 200 by Christmas. Going to try...234 this AM...so it is possible!

Will catch up on some reading and finding out how you all are doing.
Good to be back!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Bobbi, Thanks for posting pictures of your house!! And Charley!! I love how fresh your house looks!! I know I need to work at "declutter" but don't know what I really want to remove! But your house is wonderful-- your little red car makes me miss my mustang!!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello all

Diet is still going well. Getting dh ready for a business trip. It just an overnight trip.
Now on to other news. My oldest son has informed us he is buying a house also. I guess in the next month. He's working on it now. Was I ready for both my sons to leave within 3 to 4 months of each other. NO. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this empty nest stuff. Not sure I'm going to ever like it.
The house my son is buying is in the next town. It's on rented land. It's all set up. He will live in it for awhile and we will be preparing our land so he can move it onto our property later. He's a country boy so I'm sure he will hate living in town. I'm hopefull. I can't see him paying land rent when we have a lot of acres here. Anyway it's going to be a big adjustment not seeing him everyday. Our youngest ds is on our property so he's in and out all the time. He manages to find his way to the pots of food. Lol.

Bobbi I loved you pics. I have several antique tables like yours that belonged to dh's aunt. I also stripped them and redid them. I love your lil sitting area in the woods.

Welcome back change!! I was wondering where you were. How's your little boy doing? I'm recently back on my diet too. I call it part 2. I took a break for awhile. It's very hard to get your body to start losing a second time. I'm going to stay off the scale for a time and use my pants as my guide so I don't get discouraged. Good luck to you.

Hi everybody!!!

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #9  

Hi there Cajun. Jonathan is doing ok...things are rough. The Alopecia has gone crazy sine the Type 1 Diabetes DX. The boy has lost 90% of his hair...maybe more. We shaved it (what was left of it) in June. He's sad, and he feels he looks horrible. It has taken some to get used to. Plus he's grown 5.5 inches since October...so he's not so little any more!! (from 4'10" to 5'3.5")
Holy Moley..that's a bunch of growing!

Today was his first day back to school, and I can't wait to see him. He was really anxious, mostly because of the hair thing.

He's gotten on an OmniPod now (insulin pump) and things are better. Easier to handle extra insulin dosing. so nice not to have to give him 4+ shots a day!

Thanks for asking.

Last edited by Change4Life; 07-31-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! I've been to the gym, came home, watered the plants (outside), tracked in mud so vacuumed and then went through the house doing a quick vacuum since I had the vac out and plugged in anyway. Having lunch now and thought I'd stop in for a quick hello. I changed my profile picture...this is the true Mary...no photo-shopping, not even make up...just barely awake. probably should have kept one of the other pics I've used but this is the truth of today. I'm not getting any younger. As you can see, my hair is longer. It probably won't last much longer as I'm already itching to get it cut.

Last night I fixed a dish using the frozen Spinach Parmesan Raviolis. While the Raviolis cooked, I sauteed green beans from our garden, onions and garlic, and spinach in a little olive oil. Then I put in the cooked ravioli and topped with some diced leftover tomatoes from our garden to make it pretty and also added some sliced almonds. I also used the parmesan seasoning packet that came with the ravioli to season it. Yummy!

Hello Change, glad to have you back. Feel sorry for your little guy. Hope his hair grows back. So hard at any age but esp for a kid. Is the loss of hair caused by the Diabetes dx? I didn't realize that was a symptom. I'm sorry if you've already explained this. Glad he's on the pump now...getting shots all the time sure wouldn't be fun! With all that going on, I'm not surprised about the ten pounds!

Cajun - I'm still struggling to stay on track with my eating since the kids all left and my bs is high. Once it's up there it can take a while to get it back down, so I wish I'd stop doing this!

Bobbi - Your house looks so nice. So neat and clean. Puts mine to shame.

ETA: Just realized the new picture didn't load. Just says failed no explaination, but maybe too big. I'll try again later.

Last edited by maryea; 07-31-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: to add more
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #11  

Hi Mary...thanks for asking, it is kind of you.

Jonathan has autism, was severe when he was young, but with lots of love and therapy, and I believe God's help, we've seen him make great progress.

Last October he was dx'd with Type 1 Diabetes. He already had Alopecia, which is an auto immune attack on hair follicles, but it was always just a few spots and his hair covered it. Since his type 1 diabetes DX, the Alopecia just increased...and he ended up with about a 90 - 95% hair loss. We shaved his head in June, he still had 25 - 30%...but he's lost most of the rest. Plus he has Hashimoto's. His thyroid is also under attack.

It makes me so sad for him...so much on a 13 year old. So much to deal with.

He's doing pretty well...though he hates diabetes, he has come to accept (at least some of the time) that this is the way it is now. But it is quite invasive, both with blood checks and doctors visits. I wish it was me instead. All except maybe the hair loss...but I'd take that too if it would allow him to have a head of hair!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #12  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Donna2 - glad to see you back. I hope school went okay for your little guy... what a lot he has on his plate! And kids can be so cruel, can't they?

CK - you have eagle eyes! I looked at Bobbi's pictures twice before I saw Charley peeking around the corner! I just love her house!

Hot here! Nothing exciting! Later, lovelies!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #13  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Just popping in to say hi. Hope you all have a good day.

Take care ~ Gayle
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #14  
Bobbi

Good Morning ....thanks for the thumbs up on my dining room. I really love this house! It's the perfect place for us to grow older in. Bruce purchased a BB gun for me yesterday and we bought some cheaper bird seed since the feral cats, racoons and crows won't stay out of the seed. We have a large box feeder on the ground for the cardinals, that's what they keep raiding. I don't want to kill them, just keep them away. Bruce set up a bull's eye target for me to practice on, soon you can call me Annie Oakley.

Donna... I'm so sorry for Jonathan going thru all those medical problems on top of his autism. I'm sure you've scoured the internet about autism and what you can do other than what the doctors recommend. It seems like so many children are diagnosed with that, what's that all about? I was listening to a sermon the other day about how God blesses people with disabilities and how they in turn bless and mold those around them. God bless you

Last edited by Bobbolink; 08-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #15  
Bobbi

Donna and Karen, I had to go back and see Charlie too. I hadn't noticed him on the picture.

If anyone wants the Joel Fuhrman, M.D. book, "Eat To Live"...you can have mine. I purchased it, read some of it and not interested in it. (I don't have anything to lose) You can pm me with your address and I'll ship it out free to you.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 08-01-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Closed Thread