Old 07-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Ready For Induction

Well, I have finished the Atkins New Diet Revolution and am ready to start induction. The book explained so many things to me that I didn't understand about my diabetes. It was amazing, but I am not real confident in my ability to follow the induction diet for 14 days without wavering. If I was alone I could do it, but I'm afraid my husband is going to interfere. I am not going to tell him I'm doing it...I'm hoping he won't notice that I'm totally omitting carbs and will be too pleased with the weight loss to care.

When we were at the grocery store I bought some pork rinds. I like them...DH mentioned previously that he doesn't like them, but will eat them when there's nothing else around. I would be happy if he didn't eat them....leave them for me. He was eating them last night and said "You know, these are not really pork rinds." LOL He would probably freak out if he knew they really are!

He does not like change. I will never try to force him to eat this way, but I wish he would just accept that it's what I want to do, for me.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #2  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Wannabehealthy - You have support here!!!! My husband can't do Atkins either and that's ok!! I cook for my entire family and eat the Atkins way so I don't eat the carbs and it's not a big deal. I still make my kids dessert and just don't touch it. Be careful about thinking he will like the loss - my husband has been vocal about liking me with more weight on!! But I don't like me with more weight on....so I continue on Atkins. Also don't worry about being perfect on induction - the first time around it took me a month to really embrace the routine. This time around was much easier and I feel like I can really stick with it!! Best Wishes!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
He does not like change. I will never try to force him to eat this way, but I wish he would just accept that it's what I want to do, for me.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and attempt to politely put in my 2 cents
From the quote above, this is obviously very important to YOU....him, not so much. From your post I am getting the feeling you want to do this because you realize it will improve your health (diabetes). Keep in mind, what I am about to suggest is just that, a suggestion Rather than hope he won't notice your new eating habits from day to day, would it be possible to sit down with him and explain that while you completely understand that he isn't going to change his eating, nor do you expect him to or want him to....BUT....explain to him that diabetes can cause serious health complications you are trying to prevent and that his support is all you are asking for. I would like to believe if you lay things on the line with him from the beginning, and you make him realize its for your health...he will be supportive.
If you're going to be serious about this, you need a solid support system. Doubting your ability to do this is not a positive way to start. Express your feelings to your husband, he isn't a mind reader nor are you and if you can't communicate with each other & support each other's efforts, that only creates deep seeded resentment.
If he loves you, he will support what you want to do. If he gets upset about the weight loss, its insecurity on his part. But, I think if you are honest with him, he'll be very proud of you! Don't allow anyone or anything to get in your way!
You CAN do this!!!
All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

Good luck! You have lots of support here.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #5  

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the comments. Jersey Gyrl, you can always put in your 2 cents!!! You have done this and done it well, and I know that you have my best interest at heart.

I was looking through my books and I found another Atkins book. I buy a lot of books at flea markets and book sales. This book is called "The New Atkins for a New You." Weird, but it was not written by DR Atkins. It was written by Dr ERic Westman, Dr Stephen Phinney, and Dr Jeff Volek, Ph.D. I have a bookmark in it so I apparently read it or part of it at one time. I'm curious to see how it compares to the actual Dr Atkins books. I also found 2 very nice low carb cookbooks. I find that having books to refer to explains the why and how of it all, and strengthens my resolve to keep at it.

I had some issues to straighten out and now I feel psychologically ready to start this.

I will be here from time to time, keeping you all posted on my success!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

"The New Atkins For A New You" is good for comparison....but....doing Atkins, and doing it correctly calls for books written by Dr. Atkins himself. The title "The NEW Atkins"....is a red flag, if it were "new" and written by Dr. Atkins, I'd read it and listen.....but.....when someone else is trying to make Atkins "new".....sorry, I have no interest.
Glad to hear you've worked through everything and you're ready to get started
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!!!
Keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #7  

I agree that the actual Atkins book is better for dong Atkins correctly. While the New Atkins for a New You book describes induction, OWL and maintenance the same way the Atkins book does, it does not go into the detail about how the body works and how Atkins works that I think is so essential. How can you be dedicated to this way of eating if you don't understand why you're doing what you're doing and how it's helping you? My recommendation would be to get the actual Atkins book. This other book is legit as far as the plan goes, but I admit it is someone else trying to make a buck riding on the coattails of Dr Atkins after his death.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/281/179

Height: 5'9

Hi everyone;

I am attempting to start Induction again tomorrow morning. I have tried several times in the past but fall off after a couple of days. I need to stick with it this time and am hoping this forum will help. I need to lose about 100 pounds and am really going to try this time. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope that together we can all reach our goals. Thanks so much for this forum and I look forward to getting to know you all.
harley2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #9  

The authors of The New Atkins work for the Atkins Foundation. It is based on Dr. Atkins principles. How do you know he wouldn't have made changes to his plan by now?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #10  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Well I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to pop in and wish you luck and to let you know this is a really great place for support and motivation. I remember what it was like to do Atkins in a busy household full of kids and a husband. It was difficult. I think the key is to be really resolute and focus on small goals. Also, for me, planning ahead and not letting myself get too hungry was key for me.
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The authors of The New Atkins work for the Atkins Foundation. It is based on Dr. Atkins principles. How do you know he wouldn't have made changes to his plan by now?
Its just sad to see the Atkins bars & shakes being marketed as "appropriate for Induction" when they clearly are not. The acceptable foods list for Induction does not include soy, milk & peanuts but, Atkins bars do.
Anyone doing Atkins or thinking about doing Atkins needs to do their research. This is a good place to start:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-30-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2012 View Post
Hi everyone;

I am attempting to start Induction again tomorrow morning. I have tried several times in the past but fall off after a couple of days. I need to stick with it this time and am hoping this forum will help. I need to lose about 100 pounds and am really going to try this time. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope that together we can all reach our goals. Thanks so much for this forum and I look forward to getting to know you all.

The best advice I can give you is to read the book ( Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior editions ) before attempting to do the plan so you understand exactly how & why this plan works when done correctly.
Always be prepared with low carb foods because failing to plan is definitely planning to fail.
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
Also, for me, planning ahead and not letting myself get too hungry was key for me.
This was definitely the key for me and still is. Especially with my family and all their pizza and junk food all over the place, I have to make sure I keep my on-plan food on hand so that I don't grab any of their junk food. The first time I tried to do Atkins I did not read the book and I wasn't well prepared and I failed miserably and it was years before I did it again and did it the right way.
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #14  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandydawn77 View Post
This was definitely the key for me and still is. Especially with my family and all their pizza and junk food all over the place, I have to make sure I keep my on-plan food on hand so that I don't grab any of their junk food. The first time I tried to do Atkins I did not read the book and I wasn't well prepared and I failed miserably and it was years before I did it again and did it the right way.
The beauty of Atkins is, if you do a little research, you can find recipes for low carb pizza and all kinds of treats that would be off limits with other plans
So happy to hear things are working better for you with Atkins this time I don't mean to sound like a broken record but, there is no substitution for reading the book. Its the bible of doing Atkins and doing it correctly!
All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/281/179

Height: 5'9

Thanks JerseyGyrl! I have the read the book. Knowing what to do and actually doing it are two very different things! lol. I love my carbs and after the first couple of days I always feel so horrible so I cheat and never go back. I know I need to plan ahead and have food prepared for when I am hungry (I am horrible for not eating all day and then I binge on anything I can get my hands on). Did really good today. Hoping I can keep it up. I have been researching recipes and look forward to doing some cooking What types of excersise is everyone doing?
harley2012 is offline   Reply With Quote