Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Default Feeling Sleepy After Eating

I always feel sleepy after I eat, No matter what I eat and I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem? and if you do how do you stop your self from crawling into bed and going to sleep.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

After you eat anything or just heavy carbs? Some people have that problem. I have a problem if/when I eat too early in the daytime but I normally don't eat a first meal until late in the afternoon. If I eat breakfast I want to crawl back into bed. I stick with coffee.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #3  

I've dealt with this for years. It seems that is happens after I've had something very sugary and in the after noon. Like if I have an ice cream sundae at like 2pm, I will get a burst of energy then within an hour or so I'm falling asleep. It seems to be related to the huge amount of insulin tha would be released to take care of the giant sugar load I just ingested! Anyway, for me I notice its the worst in the afternoon. It doesnt happen every time, but enough that I *try* not to have a huge carb meal plus lots of sugar together. If I have a meal with a good source of protein, then something sweet afterwards, I noticed its not as bad.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #4  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I'm also curious what you're eating - is it anything in general??? Are you eating a large portion? When I eat a lot of carbs and have a very carb heavy day I'm a total pile - especially when I eat high amounts. I'd cut back your carbs (specifically sugars and white breads) and see how that helps for a few days. I don't have a magic solution, do you exercise? I've always found on days when I exercise I'm more awake and alert than days I don't.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #5  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

Sleepiness was one of the symptoms of my wheat allergy/gluten intolerance. 15-30 minutes after eating even a light meal containing wheat of any kind (it took me a while to piece it together because wheat seems like it's in everything) I would, among other side effects, feel incredibly tired and sleepy, wanting only to go lie down and nap. I can't say what will or will not work for you but I'd ask that you consider the possibility of having a food intolerance of some kind.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I get this after ive eaten a moderate to large meal....and if ive eaten that meal earlier in the day...I too cant eat breakfast without wanting to fall back asleep...I think it's just the amount of food in my system that does it
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #7  
Turning Into A New Woman

Well like today for dinner we went to Sonic and I had 2 jr. cheese burgers (I thought Jr. meant smaller then their normal size cheese burgers so thats why I got 2) I got a small order of cheddar bites and I had a hot fudge sunde for dessert and a low cal diet cherry limeade for a drink and I will also ask my doctor if I have a food intolerance and Yes I do work out, I normally work out every day for an hour but I did take 2 days off yesterday and the day before but I walked for an hour tonight. Yes it is after I eat anything I get sleepy

Last edited by Terra1984; 07-28-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

i get really tired after eating sometimes, too, and i think it has to do with carbs - and the type of carbs. i eat very little bread - just because i'd rather eat other carbs, so i don't know if it has anything to do with gluten, but i do get really tired after eating potatoes.

i just finished an omelet made wiht mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese [no toast or potatoes or anything carb-y] and so far i'm doing well - so maybe higher protein would help?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra1984 View Post
Well like today for dinner we went to Sonic and I had 2 jr. cheese burgers (I thought Jr. meant smaller then their normal size cheese burgers so thats why I got 2) I got a small order of cheddar bites and I had a hot fudge sunde for dessert and a low cal diet cherry limeade for a drink and I will also ask my doctor if I have a food intolerance and Yes I do work out, I normally work out every day for an hour but I did take 2 days off yesterday and the day before but I walked for an hour tonight. Yes it is after I eat anything I get sleepy
You felt sleepy because this meal consisted of nothing nutritious for your body to process. Processed, fried, fatty food that's loaded in carbs and sugar. If this is what you eat normally then then feeling sleepy afterwards should be par for the course. I say this with no judgement, I have been the fast-food queen for the majority of my adult life so I know how hard it is to break this habit. If you simply look at your body like it's a car, you've simply put the wrong fuel in, that's why it's sluggish.

I know it's a no brainer but fresh fruits and vegetables really will perk you up. I made a general rule a while ago to just something raw every day. A piece of fruit, a salad, and some veggies with hummus. After just a couple of days I felt infinitely better, infinitely!!! Try it. Get a burger, why not? But pile on the tomatoes and the lettuce, same with any sandwich. I'm not going to suggest that you have a wheat allergy, but I will say that most of us are eating entirely too many grains, more than our body really needs. Cut down a bit on the grains and find the level that your body performs better.

Exercise is fantastic. But remember, abs are made in the kitchen.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It is generally a normal response to a spike in insulin due to a carby meal. Your meal sounds like it had some high carbs (burger buns, sundae). That also seems like a pretty heavy meal and your body was trying to digest it.

Also based on calorie counts on sonics website, you ate at least 1790 calories which is more than you should eat all day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I only feel sleepy if I overeat quite massively.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #12  
Turning Into A New Woman

Well thanks to everyone who replied and to answer someone question about if I eat that kind of meal regularly or if its a normal meal or how ever they said it the answer is no I only eat fast food once a week
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra1984 View Post
Well thanks to everyone who replied and to answer someone question about if I eat that kind of meal regularly or if its a normal meal or how ever they said it the answer is no I only eat fast food once a week
It was me who asked that. Fast food or not, the ratio of carbs to sugars can be the same even if it's not fast food. As everyone else here said, this amount of carbs makes everyone sleepy and sluggish.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/205/175

Height: 5'11

I feel sleepy after a heavy meal also. I think the only way to avoid it is to eat less or eat something fresh like like a salad with mostly veggies.
Berlinloser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #15  
Turning Into A New Woman

Well thanks everyone for your answers