Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/

Height: 5'4

Exclamation Breath Advice

Hello,

The first week, of second or third day I noticed I had a funny taste in my mouth.
I'm now in my second week and it seems to be more consistent. Does anyone have any advice or tips on the whole breathe issue while on Phase 1 of ideal protein?

I'm brushing more often which helps a tad, but the taste lingers on. Just yesterday my husband asked "Why does your breathe smell weird?" I said:"Does it smell like garlic?" Even though I knew I had not eaten any- he said "no, it's just a weird smell." And I can taste a weird after taste in my mouth. Especially after I have a shake, bar or my dinner.

Has anyone else experienced this? Normally I would pop a gum in my mouth or a mint- but I can't do that on this program. hmmmm maybe I should buy some fresh mint...

Any tips/advice???? I have a family get together BBQ today & I would hate the thought of someone smelling my breathe! :/

Thank you!!!

Last edited by Liliypad; 07-27-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Liliypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #2  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I think that could be the ketosis. I would recommend getting some toothpaste and mouthwash for better breath. Also..get a tongue cleaner..that helps also..and gargle. Good luck.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/

Height: 5'4

I think I'm going to have to carry the mouth wash with me, because like I mentioned brushing helps (of course) as does the mouth wash, but it's a temporary fix... I hope this fades with time...

Thank you
Liliypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #4  
IP Start: 7/11/13

S/C/G: 214.6/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Lillypad, I saw somewhere that Listerine breath strips and spray are allowed. Also there are other sugar-free aspartame-free mints/gum. My coach recommended some gum/mints from Whole Foods, but I just went with the Listerine stuff as it is more readily available. Drinking more water will also help.
meinola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #5  

There have been a few discussions on how to handle this breath thing, but i think it was in a daily chat and i can't find the information, so i will re-post the things i have found helpful. Understand, this information is coming from a gum a holic even before the ketosis kicked in so finding a replacement for always fresh breath was one of my major concerns with this.

Spry Gum is said to be IP approved gum, but you can't keep a ton of it...(my coach and a few other coachs have told this ipers)

Mints: Altoids Smalls Sugar Free Cinnamon Mints (might come in other flavours too) and xylitol mints seem to be phase 1 and beyond friendly (again per my coach. and i've been using limited amounts without too many problems...theses contain sugar alcohols as the sweetener and therefore have a limit effect on the GI)

TUNG Brush - Tongue Cleaner, is about the best tongue cleaning device i have ever found (saw it on amazon when i was getting my mints)

NOW the above only masks the problem and only for a short period of time. Ketosis is stuff breaking down inside of you...so consider that the smell isn't really a problem of your mouth but more from your gut and body. As suggested in daily chat (can't find the date it was discussed either) one posted suggested Chlorofresh, or Chlorophyll Capsules to help get to the root of the problem in your gut. While you can order online, i actually didn't want to wait for it and picked it up at the local health food store....it seems to be working, and bonus s/e is it helps with the big C too ..well just helps regularity maybe. Do not be shocked if when it comes out the other end, stuff is a greeny colour lol

LASTLY...water...water water...maybe water with a lil lemon...or true lemon if you can find it locally (or on amazon if you cant)....and now for the biggest copy and paste lol

Apple cider vinegar Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar just before each meal. You may want to take it in a glass of water. This will aid your digestion.

Baking soda Brushing your teeth with baking soda (or a paste made with hydrogen peroxide) will help reduce the acidity in your mouth and make a less-friendly environment for the bacteria to grow.

Charcoal Take 5 gm. daily of activated charcoal to cleanse the stomach and intestines. Charcoal absorbs toxins and is a natural purifier.

Hydrogen peroxide The sinuses can become infected and cause bad breath. If this is your problem, the best treatment is using hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Use the drugstore variety, which is three percent, dilute it 50% with water and put five to ten drops in each nostril and sniff vigorously. It may burn a little. Do this twice daily and see if it helps. If it doesn't, your sinuses are not the problem.

Water, salt Gargling with salt water will help clean out bacteria, mucus and food particles on your tonsils or the back of your throat that may be causing your bad breath.

Herbal

Alfalfa tablets may help eliminate bad breath.

Anise Chew anise, cardamom, dill or fennel seeds to help mask odors. Anise, the licorice-flavored seed, kills the bacteria that cause odor.

Chlorophyll Try liquid or chlorophyll tablets which you can buy at your pharmacy. Chlorophyll has a deodorizing effect and is used in a number of products for that purpose.

Cloves Cloves are a powerful antiseptic. Make a tea by putting 3 whole or 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves in 2 cups of hot water, and steep for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour through a fine strainer and use as a mouthwash or gargle twice a day.

Fennel Fennel is another useful herb and can be used in several ways. Slowly chew the leaves and allow the saliva to build up in your mouth. Or, mix the contents of a fennel capsule with baking soda, make into a paste, and brush your teeth, gums and tongue with it. The fluid extract of fennel can be rubbed on your gums and tongue.

Filberts Chew some filberts (hazelnuts) slowly as they will absorb the bad breath.

Herbs Chewing mint, parsley, basil, rosemary, thyme and wintergreen will help mitigate bad breath.

Lemon Suck a lemon wedge sprinkled with salt to stop onion or garlic breath.

Myrrh Dissolving a pea-sized piece of myrrh in your mouth before bed or sucking a small piece of cinnamon bark during the day may help relieve the problem.

• It can be made into a tea. To make the tea add 2 sprigs of coarsely chopped parsley, 3 whole spice cloves, 1 teaspoon of powdered myrrh, and 1/4 teaspoon powdered goldenseal to 1 pint of boiling water. Steep. Stir occasionally while cooling, then strain and use as a mouthwash.

Parsley & mint Chewing parsley or mint leaves has been a remedy used for thousands of years. These herbs are especially good if garlic and onions are the source of your bad breath. Parsley is very high in chlorophyll. Chew a few parsley sprigs dipped in vinegar for immediate relief. If you swallow the leaves after chewing them they will be digested and continue to provide breath freshness for quite a while. These plants seem to reduce the production of intestinal gas by promoting better digestion.

• Natural gum made with spearmint or peppermint essential oils will also be helpful. These oils kill odor- causing bacteria, and the chewing action stimulates the production of saliva which helps combat bad breath.

Sage Chew sage. It contains essential oils with antibacterial properties that help neutralize one of the causes of bad breath.

Spirulina is a very good source of chlorophyll and can be purchased either in capsule or loose form. Start with 500 mg three times a day.

Tea Another tea may be made by steeping 2 sprigs of coarsely chopped parsley, 3 whole cloves, 1 teaspoon of powdered myrrh and 1/4 teaspoon powdered goldenseal in 1 pint of boiling water. Stir occasionally while cooling, strain, and use as a mouthwash. Can also be used for a sore throat. Alfalfa is rich in chlorophyll. Drink alfalfa tea several times a day to keep your breath fresh. To make the tea, put two teaspoons of dried leaves in a cup of boiling water and steep for 10-20 minutes. You may also find alfalfa tablets at an herb or health food store.

• Peppermint or fenugreek are other good herbs to use in a tea to sooth the stomach. They are exhaled through the lungs and help sweeten the breath.

Tea tree oil Tea tree oil, derived from the leaves of the native Australian Melaleuca alternifolia tree, contain antiseptic compounds that make it a powerful disinfectant. Try using a toothpaste containing tea tree oil, or put a few drops of tea tree oil on your toothbrush alone, or with your regular toothpaste. It has a strong aromatic flavor.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...or-bad-breath/

Last edited by Art3mis; 07-27-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added more text hahaha
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #6  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Bianca breath spray - near the toothpaste at the drugstore. I used it throughout phase 1.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Bianca breath spray - near the toothpaste at the drugstore. I used it throughout phase 1.
shoot right the one thing i forgot to mention lol i love that stuff
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #8  
Joined IP on 07/15/13

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

Even though I never experience any of the symptoms described during the initial interview, my coach advised me to carry some Altoids Smalls Wintergreen or Cinnamon (0 fat - 0 carbs - 0 sugars)
Frenchy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #9  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

Ditto on the Altoids Smalls. I have the cinnamon and they pack a punch! I pop one in before I head off to a meeting at work. Don't want to be known as skunk mouth.
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/246/125 (start IP @ 259)

Height: 5'4"

I bought peppermint ice chips from my coach they taste amazing and help with breath.
fitgurl is offline   Reply With Quote