Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Default Going to the Gym as a Fat Person

To start off, I know that this must have been discussed before somewhere on this forum, but I haven't been able to find where, so please do bear with me. If there is another thread that addresses this, I'd be more than happy if someone could link me to it.

I'm a 23 year old girl, and I've been overweight most of my life. I'm around 207-210 lbs right now, and I'm trying to start my weight loss journey. I'm going to begin going to the gym on Monday and frankly, I'm terrified. I'm pretty fat, and whenever I've walked past the gym, I've only seen thin, toned people working out there. In particular, people my age over here seem to have great bodies, and for them 'overweight' means a couple of pounds here and there. I've never seen a fat person in the gym, and I feel like shriveling up with embarrassment just thinking about it.

I'm determined not to use this as an excuse not to go, though. I just wanted to know what people do to get over this. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

It might be helpful to keep in mind that some of those thin, toned people are likely also formerly fat people
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I've been going to the gym regularly and also feel self conscious being a larger person there surrounded by thin people. And the gym I go to is close to a University so a large number of this gym is University students who are young and have likely never been large.

But there is also other overweight people there and I would bet money some of the thin people there used to be large.

I also remind myself that if they are sitting there judging me for being there then it says much more about them than it does about me. At least I'm there working my *** off and trying to become a healthier person. Who could judge that without being a complete jerk?!

I think the first trip to the gym is the hardest. It can feel so intimidating. But it gets easier each time you go. Soon you will start to see results and it will be so worth it. Good luck!
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

-

Last edited by sontaikle; 07-12-2020 at 07:01 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #5  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Height: 5'5"

I understand your anxiety 'cause I have been through that too.. I was 262 and terrified. I would wear a really big hoodie over my workout clothes to hide my body even if I was dying under there. Once you shrug off the insecurities and just go in and go regularly.. You'll notice how these skinny toned people are actually quite nice and will be eager to share weight loss or fitness info with you. Trust me no one who goes to a gym is a 100% happy with their bodies.. Even the fittest most toned people lifting weights are insecure. No one is going to judge you. The first time I got on a treadmill I didn't last 5 mins and I was miserable cos the guy next to me was at it non stop. Now 4 months later, I run 20 mins NEXT to the same guy sometimes. I'm sure he must be impressed even if not who cares!! I am proud of myself!

Just go and once the lbs melt away you will be fitter than a newbie who joins the gym. It only gets better each day
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Thanks, this really helps
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

Just do it! This isn't said in ignorance -I have been gym-scared and have only just started going. When you go, you'll notice there are people who are bigger, older, less able than you, and in time you'll be running more and pumping more iron than others. Even over 14 days I have seen this and felt fantastic about it!
If people go to the gym to look at others then they are there for the wrong reason. You'd be going for the right reason. Good luck!
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

It's all been said in the posts above me; I just want to add my encouragement. The way to do it is to just take a deep breath, and do it. Truly, mustering up the confidence to just walk through those doors and figure things out is the hardest part. Best of luck to you; let us know how Monday goes!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

First time I set foot in a gym, I weighed 360 lbs. you will see people of all shapes and sizes. In the current gym I go to, there are people from 100 lbs to 500 lbs or so. Some people walking with canes/walkers or in wheel chairs. You will see young and old. Don't fret
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: S/C/G 250/206/140ish

Height: 5'3"

I want to join the chorus -- just do it.

It's great you're going, and I'd also like to add that it's great that you're going at your age, because it doesn't get any easier on the weight loss front as you age.

I've been there, the fat person going to the gym. I go with my skinny co-worker who doesn't judge, but it still sometimes makes me feel self-conscious.

A couple of the gyms I've belonged to have had women-only areas. Those were sometimes a little more comfortable than the gym at large. Another trick is to use headphones and whatever music device you have to keep yourself focused on yourself.

If you're unsure on what to do, find a trainer that you're comfortable with or take advantage of the gym staff to help you learn how to do things. You want to be careful you don't overdo when you're first starting, as that can also make you associate the gym with a negative experience. Whatever you start doing now might be a challenge, but enjoy the journey. Keep track. You'll be amazed how quickly things become easier for you.
bSpring3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

I belong to Planet Fitness whose motto on the front door is: "This is a judgement free zone." I see a lot of overweight/obese people there and nobody gives dirty looks or anything. Maybe look into that gym if you have one near you but don't lose sleep over it. Lots of people there started out overweight and I witnessed them transform into thin people. It's pretty impressive.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #12  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

You know when i go to the gym and see some one who is drasticly over weight and they are sweating and discusting and working their *** off (literally) i always think that they are just where they need to be. They are making a conscious effort to improve their heath. And, besides, when im at the gym, sweating like a beast, i dont notice ANYONE, none the less want to talk to anyone.im sweating and discusting and out of breath, not an opertune time to strike up a conversation....

Last edited by BleuMaus; 07-27-2013 at 12:33 PM.
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #13  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I belong to Planet Fitness whose motto on the front door is: "This is a judgement free zone." I see a lot of overweight/obese people there and nobody gives dirty looks or anything. Maybe look into that gym if you have one near you but don't lose sleep over it. Lots of people there started out overweight and I witnessed them transform into thin people. It's pretty impressive.
yay for planet fitness!!! I wish they had stability balls tho...
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

I think this is a very exciting step for you to be taking!!

When I first started going to the gym I was terrified of the free weight area. I knew I wanted to work more with free weights vs. machines, but I was so unfamiliar with how that whole area worked. Plus, that's usually where you'll find the muscle guys, and not too many women hung out there (in the gym I started in). So I was intimidated by the guys, by the equipment, and I was sure everyone would be staring at me thinking "that girl clearly has no idea what she's doing". It was stressful enough that I dreaded stepping foot in that area.

But, little by little I got over that. It really was all in my head. Yes, I was a bit of a novelty being one of the only girls there, but honestly most of those guys really are VERY into what they themselves are doing. They are watching their biceps as they do that curl, they are trying to psych themselves up to lift a higher weight, heck THEY might be worried the other guys are judging THEM because they don't have as much weight on their bar, etc... Chances are, no one is looking at or thinking about you.

Now a days there are more women in the free weight area of the gym I go to currently. And on days there aren't, I feel like a kick *** girl strolling into that group of men and picking up some iron!

There definitely are the "regulars" at my gym, and you start to get to "know" the people that share your gym schedule. Maybe you don't chat it up, but you do the nod and smile when you see each other. I'd say that if you're anyone (fat, skinny, whatever) and you're at that gym with consistency, you get respect from the group of regulars. Gym folks respect commitment.

The only group of people I've seen gym folks as a whole be judgemental of is New Years resolutioners. Every January most gyms get packed with people who have sworn to themselves they're going to start working out. Suddenly there are lines for equipment, everything's crowded, there's no parking, etc. But most of those people don't stick around, and by the middle of Feb things are back to normal.

Just go and try to stay in your head about what you're doing. Focus on you! Let us know how it goes
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 276/182/160

Height: 5'8

Maybe some of those really thin, toned people weren't always that way. I myself started out at over 250 lbs when I went to the gym. I'm around 20 lbs away from my goal now..still a gym rat!

Most people are just there to work out, they don't look around for people bigger than them or even pay attention to anyone else. Just bring some music and enjoy one of the best things you can do for yourself!

And have fun!
StrangeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote