Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #1  

Default Phase 3 Questions

Hi, I'm relatively new to this site and think you all are wonderful! I have a Q re entering Phase 3. I've read alot of threads and reviewed worksheets, etc. and I don't see any mention of "sugars". Are we supposed to pay any attention to sugars in the foods we add to breakfast? For instance, FF Yogurt, or even Greek Yogurt that has the fruit in it is sweetened (I don't like the plain) so I wondered how you accounted for the sugar...is that in the carb count?

Another question I have is: Are we counting "net carbs" when doing our calculations? I'm not sure that question was answered definitively.

Thanks so much!
postalmarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/132.2/125

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalmarke View Post
Hi, I'm relatively new to this site and think you all are wonderful! I have a Q re entering Phase 3. I've read alot of threads and reviewed worksheets, etc. and I don't see any mention of "sugars". Are we supposed to pay any attention to sugars in the foods we add to breakfast? For instance, FF Yogurt, or even Greek Yogurt that has the fruit in it is sweetened (I don't like the plain) so I wondered how you accounted for the sugar...is that in the carb count?

Another question I have is: Are we counting "net carbs" when doing our calculations? I'm not sure that question was answered definitively.

Thanks so much!
I have only been on phase 3 for a week, but my understanding is that the Greek Yogurt or even the regular yogurts with fruit in them are not recommended. My coach advised me to add my own fruit in the plain yogurt, which I have and is pretty good. I personally am trying to cut out the " extra " sugars, and try to stick to the splenda/stevia allotments, since I have already grown accustomed to it. :-) You count the "Net Carbs" when doing your calculations..
good luck!
snickers70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

You will always be better off eating the unsweetened yogurt and adding your own sweetener and fruit to it. That being said, if you are eating yogurt, you need to have less than 15 grams of carbs and less than 120 calories for the yogurt. The carb counts are not broken down into "sugars" etc. The stuff they put into the pre-made yogurt can't be counted as fruit as it is really mostly just sugar anyway so count it as part of your dairy intake.

I usually use the net carb count for foods as long as the fiber is part of the actual food and not just thrown in to make the carb count look better. If something tells me it has "added" fiber I use the entire carb count, as the fiber isn't really bound up with the carbs like they would be in an apple. Also, by looking at the ingredients I can usually see if there has been fiber added to it. The added fiber may be good for my colon but it isn't preventing the carbs from being used by my body.

Hopefully, I'm not being too confusing about what direction I take for figuring it all out.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote