Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'8"

Default I hate this. Please help.

I'm sure a lot of you on here are the same way.
I've been fat my whole life. There were no "skinny high school days". Every spare calorie i eat, goes directly to fat. I can't escape it. I've never been able to just eat what i wanted and not worry about how it would make me look.
I got married in october, and over the 9 months i've been married, i've gained back
EVERY SINGLE POUND i had taken TWO ****ING YEARS to lose.
I put it back on SO EASILY.
I'm tired of it.
Is there some supplement (natural) on TOP of excersise, that can help keep weight down? Something that maybe tells my body to say "hey let's just POOP out the extra food instead of cramming it into her ***."
I can't even be a happy newlywed without ruining my life!!! I can't say "hey babe let's go out to eat because we're married and i love you! let's have dessert! No! for the rest of my damn life i'll have to eat like a ****ing rabbit! And worry about how something will make me balloon up!! I've gotten so out of shape and i'm back to the weight i HATE.
HELP.
Calorie counting works for me. but if i **** up on ONE DAY, it will make me gain 5LBS of water weight and make me feel so bloated and my confidence goes in the TOILET.
RookaWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #2  

nope, no magic pill, but... I was running before this pregnancy, and it was like a magic pill. Aside from being awesome and addicting, the weight melted off. I know a lot of people say weightloss is 90% what you eat, and 10% of exercise, and whilie that might be true if you are doing the ellipticle for 30 minutes, it is not true if you are getting out there and running 5-6 miles a day. The calorie burn on a long run is uncomparable. My longest was only a little over 7 miles, I was still increasing my weekly miles and long run when I got pregnant. But I'm telling you, I was able to eat a little more relaxed. I couldn't eat a whole pizza, but I spent most of that summer NOT counting cals, and the weight still came off. I got down to 145 lbs. But if you stop running and keep eating like you are, the weight will FLY back on!

Good Luck!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 07-22-2013 at 11:17 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
nope, no magic pill, but... I was running before this pregnancy, and it was like a magic pill. Aside from being awesome and addicting, the weight melted off. I know a lot of people say weightloss is 90% what you eat, and 10% of exercise, and whilie that might be true if you are doing the ellipticle for 30 minutes, it is not true if you are getting out there and running 5-6 miles a day. The calorie burn on a long run is uncomparable. My longest was only a little over 7 miles, I was still increasing my weekly miles and long run when I got pregnant. But I'm telling you, I was able to eat a little more relaxed. I couldn't eat a whole pizza, but I spent most of that summer NOT counting cals, and the weight still came off. I got down to 145 lbs. But if you stop running and keep eating like you are, the weight will FLY back on!

Good Luck!
oh wow you're about to have a baby! congrats! lol
I have tried running, and at my weight, it honestly starts to hurt my shins and my feet way too much. i get so sore, and i stay off my feet for the next 4 days, it really doesn't help :c i'm not sure if it's the shoes or what. But running sucks. I can do the elliptical, though, and i feel perfectly fine afterwards. (aside from being sweaty).
But how intense do i have to do the elliptical, to get the same workout as a treadmill?
When i get thinner and my shins don't hurt so much i would love to be a runner :c
Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookaWins View Post
oh wow you're about to have a baby! congrats! lol
I have tried running, and at my weight, it honestly starts to hurt my shins and my feet way too much. i get so sore, and i stay off my feet for the next 4 days, it really doesn't help :c i'm not sure if it's the shoes or what. But running sucks. I can do the elliptical, though, and i feel perfectly fine afterwards. (aside from being sweaty).
But how intense do i have to do the elliptical, to get the same workout as a treadmill?
When i get thinner and my shins don't hurt so much i would love to be a runner :c
Oh I was not talking about the treadmill. I mean outside, on the road or trails. I did hte gym machine shuffle for almost a decade, and did not get teh results I got when I actually got outside and ran. I actually did the treadmill when I started running after baby #2 because I still had quite a bit of weight to lose so I was embarrassed to run outside. I was at the point that I was "running" non stop on the treadmill. THe first time I went outside I ran for about a minute! It was like starting all over again. In my opinion the treadmill was way easier than outside because outside you are pushing your weight forward while on the treadmill the ground is moving for you. My calfs hurt at first too, and my lungs! But I stuck with it and it got a lot easier and fun.

I was probably about your weight maybe 10 lbs lighter when I started outside running, but there are a lot of people that are running at closer to 200 lbs or more. ANd I was over 200 lbs when I started treadmill running. I don't think you would be too heavy to start running. BUt if you really want to burn serious cals, get out of the gym and onto the trails. You need to really feel the workout kicking your @ss. Some may disagree, but that's been my experience. Hope this helps.

I will be calorie counting this time but I fully plan on running again to aid with the weight loss after this baby!

excuse all the typos!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 07-22-2013 at 11:45 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

No magic pill. No end date. Find a diet you can live with, with foods you enjoy and parameters that are not a daily struggle for you to work with, then rinse and repeat until you depart this earth.

Your daily eating and activity needs to become as automatic as brushing your teeth, or wiping your shoes at the door. Do you grumble every time you grab the toothpaste? Do you track mud in because you can't be bothered to wipe your shoes off (and make even more work for yourself with the mess)? That's diet - a necessary thing in our daily lives. You can rail against the unfairness of it all, but that won't shed a single pound off your rear and is very self defeating.

Embrace this for YOU and your husband. Get mad - we all do on occasion - but don't stay there. Make it work, tweak and never give up. Your self talk regarding weight is hugely important, given that maintenance is far more a mind game than a numbers game. You're slashing your own life raft by fighting against yourself over your eating. If it isn't livable keep searching until you find a diet that is suitable for your preferences and needs - but don't set yourself up for failure.

I can't eat everything and be healthy, but I can choose to love what I DO consume and value my energy, vitality, and yes - waist circumference - more than the comfort of junk food. Fighting with that reality does nothing but defeat me, and I have enough working against me, without my own will adding to the dogpile
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

From the sounds of it - you know how to lose weight. Now you just need to learn how to maintain that loss. You're at least 50% of the way there! To answer your question ... there are only two "magic pills" I know of.

#1) Weight lifting. A mid volume high intensity weight lifting session does wonders for the number of calories one can consume. You'll have to build up your work capacity but in addition to burning calories before and after the workout weight lifting improves whole body insulin sensativity.

#2) Intermittent fasting. While not for everyone*** intermittent fasting works like magic for many people by acting as a calorie limiting mechanism that is effortless. Like working out - you'll need to build up your fasting muscles. Hunger comes in waves and temporarily can be ignored.

*** I don't think anyone who does not already have reasonably good dietary habits should try to tackle intermittent fasting.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

I am not part of the ones who have it figured out but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading this thread tremendously.

I feel like exercise and muscle is the key. It's inactivity that brought up our fat percentage. Each day, we have to fight to be more active, build muscle and bring our metabolism up.

I remember what I used to tackle in a day, the chores I could accomplish, the 100 km bike rides. I want to be that person again.

Rooka - If you do not feel comfortable running yet, is there another high intensity activity you can do? Spinning? An aerobic class of some sorts?
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/184/158

Height: 5'7

I second running and weights. You do need good shoes though, I ran with bad shoes and my shins hurt all the time. I started running this time with good shoes and the difference is amazing!! I also have a set of 10 lb dumbbells and an exercise ball, I looked at some youtube videos and found exercises that I felt comfortable doing without hurting myself but still getting a good workout.

I feel your pain though. My husband was deployed for 6 mos in 2011 and I dropped 27 lbs by mowing the yard, walking every day, then working my way into running. ...And then I gained it all back in 12 mos .Now he's deployed again, I started running again (trying to escape my 4 kids hehe...mama needs some quiet time!) and my times SUCKED. But after 2.5 mos of running 4 days/wk I've increased my pace and mileage to even better than before. It's great because not only is it excellent cardio it also tones and flattens your tummy/hips/thighs/calves. Believe me, I've had 4 big babies and my tummy needs all the help it can get! In high school (16 yrs ago...) we were both skinny and fit, ate so much junk it was ridiculous. When we got married we both gained 15 lbs within the first 6 months. I've discovered for myself that it doesn't matter how much I diet, if I don't stay active the weight comes on quickly. When we moved and I was no longer walking 4 miles/day to and from their school I gained 20 lbs in a short amount of time. When my husband came home I stopped running and gained back the 27 I had run off. It was frustrating and depressing, but now that I know I have to stay active to lose/maintain it's become a part of my normal routine, something I absolutely have to do.
Arrwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse View Post
I am not part of the ones who have it figured out but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading this thread tremendously.

I feel like exercise and muscle is the key. It's inactivity that brought up our fat percentage. Each day, we have to fight to be more active, build muscle and bring our metabolism up.

I remember what I used to tackle in a day, the chores I could accomplish, the 100 km bike rides. I want to be that person again.

Rooka - If you do not feel comfortable running yet, is there another high intensity activity you can do? Spinning? An aerobic class of some sorts?
i would love to ride a bike. i don't currently have one, and i rode EVERY day as a kid. i'm just not sure how to make that a good workout.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #10  

i'm really glad to hear that if i lose the weight, just keeping up exercise every day can help keep it off. (WHO KNEW? >.> )
lol
but really. Now that i have a job, and a gym membership, and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna buy a bike tomorrow, i'm gonna like exercising more. I would love to lose the weight, and be the skinny chick at the gym, and riding around on my bike being awesome.
this has helped.
And to cope with my blown diet today, tomorrow i'm gonna hit the gym and really stick to my calorie limit, and hopefully it will even out. lol
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookaWins View Post
i would love to ride a bike. i don't currently have one, and i rode EVERY day as a kid. i'm just not sure how to make that a good workout.
I bought a 10-speed bicycle off Craigslist, fixed it up some, and ride it regularly for exercise in addition to working out. I used Google Maps to map out a course where I live that takes me about 30 minutes to complete - biking hard. I do have an exercise bike in my bedroom that I can use for when it's raining or very cold, but I'd much rather get outside and be on the road with the wind in my hair. I personally can't run - I don't have the body or stamina for it; never have. But I love bike riding. When I'm done with my ride, I'm a sweaty mess, so I know I've had a nice workout.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #12  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Everyone has given some great advice. I've maintained weight loss for the past two years for longer lengths of time than I've been in losing mode, so I feel pretty practiced at it. So, my first piece of advice is to go slow. Don't burn yourself out, which it sounds like you may be. Half of this, for me, was changing mindset and habits, which can take a WHILE and come on SLOW. When I was trying to marathon lose, I didn't learn very many good lessons. While I get frustrated with my mental plateaus in weight loss, I realize that each plateau is really just me taking the time to entrench even better habits, because as I get smaller, it gets harder. There is no magic cure that can replace this process.

I second the weight lifting and running. I recommend to everyone that they buy The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I love it, love it, love it. I got off track with it at the beginning of this summer for stupid excuse reasons (lots of summer travelling and whatnot), but if you already have a gym membership, it is an AWESOME book to teach you how to really use all those weights at your disposal. Be wary, however, in that lifting can make you more hungry. I don't count calories and usually just try to read my body and stick to routine, "safe foods." When I started lifting, however, I stopped losing weight. I figured out that I couldn't always trust my hungry feeling when weight lifting, as it was making me consume too many calories. Instead, I had to start eating smarter (more filling protein and whatnot). So, lifting can be a bit of a double-edged sword.

Also, I started running at 230 pounds, but it started on a treadmill. I now run outside, but like GlamourGirl said, it's like starting all over. Good shoes are an absolute MUST, and while everyone's form is a bit individual, reading up on good form is also a must. Some people just hate to run, however, and I often need some other kind of cardio, because I get burnt out. Check out your gym's classes for something fun. I find that when I go to a class every week and people are expecting me there, that one day of structured exercise keeps me structured the rest of the week.

Also, this: "can't say "hey babe let's go out to eat because we're married and i love you! let's have dessert!" Some people would say you have to retrain your brain not to associate celebration with food, and as a whole, you do have to a bit, in that you don't need to be celebrating every small success and bemoaning every disappointment with a pint of ice cream. I am going to tell you, however, that there is nothing wrong with celebrating with dessert. Just PLAN for the dessert. If you know you are going somewhere where you will really, really want that dessert, then lighten up on your food consumption for that day. Give yourself some wiggle room. There's been times where, naturally, after deciding I was just going to do it and have a blowout meal of really good food, the next few days I just didn't want to eat as much food. That was not always habit, however, and it took a while to get here. There's just some things in this life I decided I can't do without, and I was going to work around how to enjoy them. Pizza and a thick slice of rich, homemade keylime pie are two of them.

Also, on the food front, finding healthier versions of some of my guilty pleasure food has been great. You do not have to feel like a rabbit. I just had lasagna last night with zucchini as the noodles... Still a little too much fat probably, even though I did small portions of low fat cheeses and lean hamburger, but it almost tastes better to me than the real deal, and it's even one of my boyfriend's favorite recipes. Finding awesome, healthy recipes for home has been a big deal for me.

Last edited by Song of Surly; 07-23-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 310/169/155

Height: 5'5"

I'm with Glamourgirl. Running is my major weight loss secret. I started out running a minute, and now I'm up to about 3 miles in 30 minutes. No other exercise works for me like running does. I HATED it when I started. H.A.T.E.D. I avoided running at all costs for years. But now I kinda look forward to it and seeing how much more I can push myself. I ran 7mph on the treadmill for 1/2 hour the other day and was thrilled. (I know that is slow for some people, but it is fast for me, lol).

Something about running has finally kicked my metabolism into gear when nothing else would. I do run on my treadmill as I just had a baby, so running time is limited and often I have to get off and do mommy duty. She doesn't really like the stroller. Also, the treadmill helped with my bad knee until I lost enough weight as it has shock absorbers. Now I do run occasionally outside as well when I can. Hoping the stroller will grow on her!
jessicado22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/136/133

Height: 5'-5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post

Good Luck!
I disagree. I can easily out-eat a 20 mile run. I actually gained weight while running 50-60 miles per week. Not to mention for someone that doesn't run, working up to 5-6 miles a day is going to take time if you want to do it safely. Running is not a magic cure. Yes, it gives you more calories to work with, but so does any form of exercise. It all just depends on how long/how intense the exercise you choose is.

If the OP likes to bike, I definitely suggest getting a bike and riding some hills! Low impact and fun!

Last edited by Trail Runner; 07-23-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Trail Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Here's my 2 cents - DON'T GIVE UP. So many times before I've gotten frustrated when my weight loss stalled, and just gave up. This time I decided no quitting, even when it got tough. And it has - I've been fighting the same 6ish pounds since last August. I just keep tweaking and working at it. I am NOT quitting!

Also, get acquainted with your hunger. I still have to remind myself almost every day that a little hunger won't kill me.

Find some exercise you like. It won't help if you won't do it. But don't use it as an excuse to overeat - I struggle with this, too.

And eventually you have to come to terms with the fact that you can't eat whatever you want and weigh what you want. Inside I still throw a little tantrum over this sometimes. I try to console myself by saying I have the Irish famine survival genes.

Good luck! It's not easy, but it really is worth it.

Last edited by Riddy; 07-23-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote