Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Default anyone tried gymnema? I think this is gonna work for my sweet tooth!

I am dying to hear others' experiences with this stuff bc it just seems like it really has got to work! I just got it in the mail today. It comes in capsules, liquid, and leaves and I got the leaves (super cheap, lifetime supply for like ten bucks). From the reviews I read, you don't get all the benefits from the capsules or they might not work as well.

So, anyhow... I put just a little pinch of the leaves in my mouth and chewed on them for two or three minutes and then spit them out (they are dryish leaves, so it's not like eating lettuce or something, I think you can swallow, though, not sure) and now.... drumroll.... I can't taste anything sweet at all! It's so weird! I put a skittle in my mouth and I could absolutely not taste it at all. The effect is supposed to last up to two hours. So, I will be "dipping" all day long, I guess. lol Or, maybe just when I feel an urge for something sweet.

There are also supposed to be beneficial systemic effects mostly on blood sugar and it is supposed to decrease cravings for sugar independently from what it does to your tongue. But that remains to be seen. I'm thinking even if I just have the tongue effect that's pretty a pretty awesome tool.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #2  

Omg, you guys. I feel like, unless I quickly build up a tolerance to it or something, that this stuff has real potential. It is hard to explain but I don't think I've ever felt this way about sugar. Like, you'd think if you artificially turned off your sugar receptors and popped a skittle in your mouth that pretty much tasted like nothing at all, that it would be frustrating, but it doesn't feel frustrating. It's like because the receptors are turned off I just don't have a need for it. Very, very strange as I could want a second piece of cake after the biggest of meals.

So, I had been thinking the downfall of this stuff would be that I wouldn't want to use it bc I'd want the sugar, but I don't think that will happen bc I will know that not only will it not be yummy, but I won't be bothered by it, kwim?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I googled it and it seems like a legitimate substance....but it also seems too good to be true, especially with a lifetime supply for $10....weird...are there supposed to be any side affects?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #4  

It's really hard to find much about it bc the first bazillion things that come up on google are people selling it. But I haven't seen mention of any side effects that made me pause. I feel like somewhere in my searches for I do I may have seen something about nausea, maybe. I wasn't paying as much attention bc I didn't think it would really work. Although I'm obviously excited about my experience so far, I fel like it can't be as good as it seems or we'd all know about it. I wonder why it's not a *thang*, yk?

My lifetime supply was cheap bc it was the whole (broken but not powder) leaf. I got a pound for ten dollars off amazon. If this works for a while I might want to try the powder bc the leaves are a little odd to chew, but not terrible.

If anyone's interested in reading about it, I found the most info on amazon in the reviews, but it looks like a ton of people but the capsules, which don't have this tongue effect.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd be careful with it. Has there been long term research on it? I'd be worried about toxic levels as well as ruining my taste buds.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I'd be careful with it. Has there been long term research on it? I'd be worried about toxic levels as well as ruining my taste buds.
Well, it is an established treatment in ayurvedic (traditional Indian) medicine, so it's been used for thousands of years. So, I'm not worried that it's going to permanently turn off my taste buds, because I think we'd know. As far as how much to use, I am completely in the dark on that. It is hard to get info on it. I have found dosage info regarding the standardized capsules, but not for the leaves. But I am sure that the leaves are way less potent and you can't really eat many of them, so I'm not too worried.

If it doesn't work, I'll probably give it up after a few days, if it does, I'll do some more research. I wonder if I can find and ayurvedic practitioner in san diego.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #7  

Well, woo hoo! It's now 8:30 of my second day and I'm going to have to give this stuff a high rating so far! Both yesterday and today I used a pinch every three hours or so and felt no cravings or urges to eat at all. I feel like it makes it possible to behave according to my convictions rather than constantly ditching everything for a momentary weakness and hating myself for it later. I feel so much more in control.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

I might have to try it maybe...I always struggle with being unable to "turn off " my cravings etc and I cave to them far too often...ive used inositol and 5htp for the cravings and obsessive food thoughts but they don't seem to work long term...like work for awhile and then not anymore
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Thanks for posting this! I've been following this thread with great interest and I hope you'll continue to keep us updated on how this product is working for u.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

So according to what I read, this substance has a similar molecular shape as glucose. That is why it turns off your taste buds temporarily but the primary medical research has been with diabetics to lower blood sugar levels, especially when taken with insulin.

And in terms of safety, I'm not convinced that something being used for thousands of years makes something safe because once we get our hands on it, we may use it in ways that it may have never been used before or in concentrations never used before. Everything has a toxic level, even water so I'd advise caution if anything.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #11  

Well, my off plan eating always involves sugar in some way, but I am really surprised that it seems to be all about the sugar. I don't have any trouble at all talking myself down from potato chips. So, I've lost track. Today is either day four or five. But I still think this stuff is the bomb!

Yesterday I went to this huge potluck picnic that I never woulda made it through w/o the gymnema. And normally I would have been really distracted and anxious about the food, worried that I'd cheat and worried that I wouldn't. But I didn't have any of that struggle. It was just not a possibility and I hardly gave that food a thought. I am really feeling do much more confident about my ability to stick to my plan.

I am using such a tiny bit, Nelie. I understand your fear and I don't think you should try it if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I have a friend who's a trained herbalist and I'll definitely ask her about it. But this sugar problem has been such a thorn in my side for so long that, given what I know about gymnema from online, I'm willing to take the leap.

Plus, I have lost 3 pounds since I started using in.

Last edited by rubidoux; 07-22-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #12  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

WTG on the 3lbs, Rubidoux!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #13  

I think I am up to six pounds now in five days since I started. I wish I knew if it was just bc I'm sticking so well to plan or if the gymnema is doing something more. I am eating really well, but I've done that before and never lost at this rate before. I bet tomorrow I'll bounce up just a bit bc this is just ridiculous!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #14  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

well - How is it going? Don't keep us in suspense!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote