Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default Back on the wagon...

I wanted to post, but I just didn't know where. So, I'm throwing this out there now.

Something happened about six months or so ago. I just lost "control" over my diet. I have PCOS and I was eating Paleo/lower carb, and I continued to do so, but with higher calories (I also count calories).

In this time, I've gained weight (obviously!).

I'm finally back in a mind-set to lose the weight that I gained and get back to work to lose the remainder. I can't afford to start buying new clothes either (part of the reason why these ten pounds have to come off!)...

The only thing I can think that happened was just diet exhaustion.

How does anyone handle that?

I'm finally motivated again to care about counting calories and to monitor and watch my weight. But because I lose slowly, I'm also kicking myself for not having kept the motivation that I had for so long.

What can you do to prevent diet exhaustion?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #2  

What I used to do (I lost pregnany weight twice and I'm getting ready to do it again) if I felt that diet exhaustion you are talking about (I counted cals too) is stop counting cals and focused on controled healthy portions. And continued with working out. Sometimes I did that if I felt like I was about to go over the edge and start over eating crap just to feel liberated! lol
That's what I would suggest, just stop calorie counting, use what you learned while calorie counting (protion sizes etc) and keep up with what ever exercise you are doing. Also I don't know how often you weigh, but I did daily, so I'd cut back to ever week or two just to make sure I didn't gain/ I was typically able to break for a good month tops without a gain, usually just maintain, I did this until I was motivated to start counting and losing again.

Good luck!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #3  

Thanks, GlamourGirl... I think what you suggest is more or less what I've been doing the last six months.

I haven't binged or gone back to unhealthy eating. I was just eating more and not caring as much if I was eating more calories than normal!

I guess maybe for the next time, I need to do it for a much shorter period of time!!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

When I start to get that "trapped" feeling from my diet I tend to notice it is because I have been eating the same things over and over for awhile. So what USUALLY works for me is finding new recipes that fit what I am doing. Things to shake it up a bit and get rid of that monotonous feeling.

For example, for a long while chicken breast was my go to for dinner, I had it grilled or pan fried with pam with veggies. I had that maybe 4 or 5 days a week because it was easy and required not much though or effort, after a couple months it was boring and all I wanted was to say eff this diet and give up.

Instead I looked up other ways to cook it, broke out the crock pot and made shredded chicken instead with the weeks worth of chicke so one night i had chicken taco salad and the next bbq chicken sandwich and the third a casserole with the shredded chicken and veggies and cheese etc.

It broke my funk because these new foods FELT like I was cheating even though I wasn't at all. Another way I do this is find substitute recipes for junky food that fits in the diet.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #5  

Thanks for the response! I do think that's part of the problem... eating the same things over and over again.

I need to start getting more creative and spending time learning how to make new recipes that are yummy and easy to make, rather than going for the same old, same old.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkrckpixikat View Post
When I start to get that "trapped" feeling from my diet I tend to notice it is because I have been eating the same things over and over for awhile. So what USUALLY works for me is finding new recipes that fit what I am doing. Things to shake it up a bit and get rid of that monotonous feeling.

For example, for a long while chicken breast was my go to for dinner, I had it grilled or pan fried with pam with veggies. I had that maybe 4 or 5 days a week because it was easy and required not much though or effort, after a couple months it was boring and all I wanted was to say eff this diet and give up.

Instead I looked up other ways to cook it, broke out the crock pot and made shredded chicken instead with the weeks worth of chicke so one night i had chicken taco salad and the next bbq chicken sandwich and the third a casserole with the shredded chicken and veggies and cheese etc.

It broke my funk because these new foods FELT like I was cheating even though I wasn't at all. Another way I do this is find substitute recipes for junky food that fits in the diet.
Oh this^. If I get into a food rut, for the same reasons too, something that's healthy and quick, I start to feel trapped as well. Like I'm going to be stuck eating the same thing for the rest of my life...Switching things up is definitely a good way to stop from going of plan.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote