Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 340.1/324.8/155

Default 1/2 Marathon Training Tips

So I am training for a 1/2 marathon that is in November, any tips for training?

I already have a modified schedule, which I mean, I have the typical 12 week training program for a normal person plus 6 weeks before that one starts to get into shape to be able to do a typical 12 week training program.

Also bought Hoka One One running shoes which has helped with my knee problem and a pair of socks to prevent blisters.

I am also 324 so running is a little uncomfortable but right now I am able to do 40 second sprints and then walk for a few minutes which is a vast improvement from sitting on the couch all night
Palm Springs or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #2  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

No advice, but kudos on an awesome goal! I was using C25K to train for a 5K before I got pregnant and I enjoyed the program. Good luck in your training!
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I have done a few 1/2 marathons and first of all
Want to say- I have had a fantastic experience every time. As far as advice goes- I would say to be as consistent as possible while making sure that you take care of yourself! Eat right and get enough rest- done try to push through legitimate injuries- rest when you need it! Also stay positive. If you are anything like me you will have some terrible runs where you are way slow and everything is hard and you may even want to quit- just push through it. and of course- have fun!! (Ooh and on long runs I bring little gummy bears and get to eat a few every 3 miles- it's a nice little reward and boosts my energy to get through the next stretch) good luck!!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm Springs or Bust View Post
So I am training for a 1/2 marathon that is in November, any tips for training?

I already have a modified schedule, which I mean, I have the typical 12 week training program for a normal person plus 6 weeks before that one starts to get into shape to be able to do a typical 12 week training program.

Also bought Hoka One One running shoes which has helped with my knee problem and a pair of socks to prevent blisters.

I am also 324 so running is a little uncomfortable but right now I am able to do 40 second sprints and then walk for a few minutes which is a vast improvement from sitting on the couch all night
The Hoka's are getting popular with long distance runners. I would say just stick to a speed that's comfortable to you--(no matter how slow)--"I jog slower than most people walk--ha.ha."--but that's not important this is a 1/2 marathon and the only goal is to finish it. I agree--don't push yourself into an injury by training--listen to your body--and I would also suggest that you take a few days off from running just prior to the race.

Good Luck--and congratulations on your effort.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Have fun at your Half! I'm training for one too, and this is the first and only race I will ever have done. Get plenty of water in this summer heat, eat well and sunblock it up! Listen to your body. There is a difference between discomfort and pain, so make sure you can tell which is which. Have a great time!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #6  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

What an awesome goal! Major props to you!

As other said, don't forget to drink while training in the summer heat. Don't push it, listen to your body and have fun!!

Oh and find good pair of socks. Good shoes is important, but good socks can make all the difference between having happy little feet and having blistery-I-dropped-an-axe-on-my-feet situation
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #7  

Get fitted for proper shoes. Go to your local running store. Not something like Footlocker.

I am a big fan of keeping your legs elevated. For 30 minutes before I sleep, I try to lie on a ground, prop my legs up on my bed and read.

Get a foam roller. Or use the one in the gym (which I do). It will really help with any tightness.
memememe76 is offline   Reply With Quote