Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #53

Good morning to you all. Man is it humid this morning. Jack doesn't have to go back downtown until 10:30 this AM because they selected the last 40 and he was one of them. If he doesn't get picked this morning, he is done and will go back to work tomorrow. He skated by a sequestered jury yesterday as they willed the panel before getting to him to question.

I forgot to weigh yesterday so did this morning. I am down another 4 lbs, which means 46 lbs total since the beginning of the year. It's a little under 2 lbs a week and that is great. I would still like to be 10-15 lbs less than this by the cruise, but I am not going to fret about it. I am having too much anxiety with the dog, getting ready for the cruise and other stuff to worry about how many more lbs I will lose.

Fortune threw up 3 times yesterday and did eat in the morning, but I put out a second feeding and he wouldn't eat. I gave him a dose of the sulfur stuff yesterday afternoon and his tummy settled down. Frankly, I am to the point where I am afraid this is the game we are going to play until he dies. All I can do is feed him and encourage him to eat, try to get his meds in him, etc. I think right now his hip is giving him a lot of pain as he won't jump up on anything and is afraid to go in and out the door to go pee, which is how he hurt himself in the first place. He won't eat the chews so I may have to go to a chewable pill or something, I don't know. I may need to just go and buy a pill shooter to get pills down his throat at this point because he is spitting them back out even when I get them down into his throat cavitiy, which I have have no idea how he is doing it as I put it as far as my finger will go down his little throat.

This is haircut, grooming, haircut weekend. We also have Thomas all day on Friday, which should be fun. He wanted to come and spend the day until we take him to his bus to go to Jamboree. He is going to W Va for scout jamboree this year. I imagine he will be bringing a huge load of stuff to take with him.

It is so quiet in the house this morning even with Jack still home. I was so concerned about Fortune yesterday I never could get upstairs until late and then the upstairs was stifling hot as the ac upstairs was not turned on so I will tackle it this morning after Jack leaves.

It is loin chops, mashed potatoes and veg for us today. They had the little watermelons at the commissary and I bought one and wished I had bought two. They are juicy and sweet. I slice them open and cut them into chunks and bag them up then just put some in a bowl. Jack won't eat watermelon for the most part so I get to hog them all to myself. I also have some lovely pineapple, strawberries and blueberries to eat. Jack likes to put sliced strawberries on his lowfat ice cream for dessert so I go through those pretty quickly. My aunt made hamburgers for lunch while we were there and had these gorgeous tomatoes. She is in her 80's now, but spry as ever and I asked her if she grew the "maters." She said no, her dil gave them to her and they were so delicious. I put one on my sandwich and took three slices to just eat!

I guess I should get my yogurt, banana and make myself an egg for breakfast. Have a great day all! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #2  

Good Evening! It's been another hot day in my corner of the world. I had a haircut first thing and then met for lunch with the crafty group to say "good bye" to one of the gals who is moving to Sioux Falls. She is also in P.E.O. with me and goes to our church so will have two more get togethers before she moves on the 22nd. We decided on a car and filled out the lease paperwork this afternoon. It was being detailed and we may pick it up tomorrow or Thursday.

Tomorrow I start cat sitting chores for a few days, have a going away coffee for same gal, and lunch bunch at noon. Bob wants to go to Sioux City for an oil change so think I will ride along rather than sit at home. I may hit the mall while he sits at the dealership; I need a new shower curtain and can't find what I think I want.

"Gma" -- on losing another 4#s! Poor Fortune! I feel so bad for him, and for you! I know you will enjoy spending the time with Thomas. Ian goes to a couple of over-nights but I'm not sure just when. Last summer Jason and Amanda were in Sturgis when the camp director decided to send the kids home early because of storm warnings. The kids were staying with Amanda's parents so we didn't know anything about it at the time. Scary. We've been enjoying fresh fruit too. I need to make a list so I can spend $30 to save 30 cents on gas when I shop on Thursday. You would be proud of me as I have choked down yogurt 3 days in a row now.

I am rounding up some laundry to do first thing in the morning. The "boys" have gone to bed in the basement so don't want to disturb them tonight. Enjoy the rest of your evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a "cool" 64 degrees this morning. Love it! I need to get dressed and head out to do my cat chores, "good bye" coffee, pick up a check that I should have had last week for the luncheon, and lunch bunch. I notice I said all that in last nights post. "Oh well . . . . ."

I need to get a move on! Hope you all enjoy a super duper day!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. It seems like it is so much more humid than it usually is this time of year. You can hardly breathe when you go out.

Jack headed back downtown today and hopefully this will be the last day today as they have only one more trial to seat. Jack says there are about 20 of them left so he will probably get picked. He may on the other hand get bounced depending on questioning by the lawyers if he does get that far.

I am downstairs housecleaning today to get ready for Thomas to come over on Friday. I am looking forward to spending the day with him as we haven't done that in a long, long time. He is going to be gone for two whole weeks at Jamboree. As soon as he gets home he is back to school. He has had one busy summer.

I have to get out sometime this week and get more dog food, a birthday card for my dil, and a couple other things. Jack didn't get home until nearly 6 PM and we had to eat so I didn't bother with it, but I only bought a few dog foods to make sure he would eat them. He finally ate about half a can last night. I think a big part is the heat here. It is hard on human old folks so I imagine it is on senior dogs as well. He is a little guy and I imagine that makes it a bit tougher too. He has finished up the sulfur meds so we shall see how he adapts not taking it.

Well gals, I need to get hoping. Have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies. Hot and humid is the forecast for today. We were supposed to get thunderstorms but nothing, not even heat lightening. We could use the rain actually.

Today is finish up cleaning and getting ready for Thomas to spend tomorrow with me. I imagine he will just hang out with his Ipad, but that's ok.

Fortune is back to eating everyday so far, but not even a whole can. I am going to have to come to terms with that and maybe see if there is some kind of doggy supplement I could give him to put some weight back on him. I really am beginning to think it is this heat, his age, and his delicate tummy that all combine to give him problems. I try to keep him as cool as possible in the house, putting the fans on him, etc, but he goes outside and stands there and won't come in because he is afraid of the coming through the door. Yesterday I found him just dripping saliva from standing out there because it is so hot and humid.

Nothing else much going on here. I am going to have cold shrimp for me and crab cakes for Jack for dinner. It doesn't heat the kitchen up too much.

Hve a good day. Faye
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #6  

"Gma" -- Glad Fortune is feeling better and eating without getting sick. How did you come up with his name? Was Jack disappointed at not being picked for a jury?

It was a nice day in my corner of the world. I went to get my nails done and ran a couple errands this morning. This afternoon I waited around for the gal to call about delivering the checks I've been collecting. She never called so I headed to the grocery store; today was $.30 off Thursday plus there was a $.50 off coupon in the paper if one spent $50.00. My bill was over $100 and I ended up with $.94 off. For 20 gallons that adds up. The check gal called and came to pick up the money right after I got home. I went to do cat chores then Bob fixed supper . . . . . taco salads at the local restaurant! We are getting Ian and Zowie from their other grandmother tomorrow morning and heading to the lake. Beth is there for the weekend and the last couple days of her vacation. Jason and Amanda are coming Sunday to spend the day. This has been a busy week!

Hope you have a nice weekend!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! We will head to the lake in a couple hours. Momma cat and 3 kittens are perched on the little table. She is still letting them nurse so she won't be moved to the farm for a day or two yet. It's supposed to be a warm breezy day; I hope it is a breeze and not wind. We got the new car yesterday so have cubby holes full of stuff to sort through and put in the new.

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday and enjoy!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. It is blessedly cool this morning, but won't last long I am sure. It isn't supposed to reach ninety, the weather channel says 88 so significant.......

Yeah, Fortune ate again last night and his bowels have firmed up so maybe we are back to normal. I am going to try and not stress about how much he eats as long as he eats.

I am doing finishing touches on making the house look ok as the kids will be here in about an hour to drop off Thomas. He has to be down at the bus pick up at 10 PM to do all his paperwork and then get on the bus. Wonder how he will like being away from all his family for 2 weeks? Usually, his dad goes to scout stuff with him, but their anniversary is today and they are leaving on a cruise from New Orleans tomorrow. My kids have the busiest lives I have ever seen. They always seem to be on the go. Guess you have to do it while you are young, 'cause you are too pooped to do it when you get old!

Like I said, I am eating yogurt every morning and taking a probiotic capsule and it seems to be helping me. I sure don't want to end up having surgery again so I have to make sure that I don't get in a situation that causes possible trouble.

Jean: Jack named Fortune. He said that is what he would cost us and boy was he right! His AKC name is actually Fortune Shines on Us, which is true too. Have a good time down or over at the lake or wherever it is from your home! I am sure you enjoy having the kids around for just a bit anyway. Enjoy your new car. What did you end up buying/leasing? We have a few years yet, but we are scouting out what looks good to us, though in 3 years the look of cars could be totally different. My sister and bil rented a Ford Edge, which was the crossover we were considering but Jack thought it was too squishy. I liked it when I rode with my sister to the store in it. It has more of the "cockpit" feel as far as the dash is concerned.

Everyone have a great weekend. Nothing going on for us except a couple errands tomorrow to get more dog food and a couple things at the store. Faye
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #9  

Good Morning, actually Afternoon, Flowers! The tornado sirens just went off so it is noon. Bob left early this morning for a tractor ride. He gets to "lead" because his tractor goes faster at 18-20 mph. Sounds like a slow ride to me! I'm not sure how far they go, but it will be late afternoon or suppertime when he gets home again. I finally just got dressed and need to do some laundry if nothing else today. After being gone yesterday, I have no ambition today.

"Gma" -- We got another Buick Enclave. The perks were 2 years of free XM, Onstar, and oil changes as well as $1000.00 for being a previous Buick owner. This one has a couple more do-dads my other one didn't so will probably buy it at the end of the lease. It has the "new" headlights and tail lights but otherwise no one will know we traded as it is the same color I had before -- red. I'm so glad Fortune is eating again! Does he mind it when you leave him? Beth's dog goes to a place called Happy Tails and loves it. He thinks he is a big dog and tries to keep up with the labs, etc. Beth said he sleeps for a week after he gets home. I agree that the kids are so busy; sometimes too busy I think. Do you have a favorite brand of yogurt?

I need to get going on the laundry. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #10  

Good afternoon all! Jack and I are feeling our age today after taking Thomas to the bus last night. We arrived about 9:45 PM, supposed to be there at 10 PM. This was the most disorganized mess I have ever seen. They were supposed to start boarding at 11 and pull out at 11:30 and didn't leave until midnight. Thomas said he was tired and was going to sleep as soon as he got his seat on the bus. The jamboree is in W Virginia this year and they are stopping somewhere today and go white water rafting before getting to WV on Monday. We sat and waited for the bus to pull out then came home and were up until about 2 then finally got to bed but were up at 7 AM so we are dragging today.

I was going out to do errands but they are going to have to wait. I am just too tired to run from store to store in the heat. Jack went to Taco Bell to get us lunch/dinner and I imagine we will his the bricks very early tonight.

Jean: Wow, Bob must be a speed demon! That is a nice car. Does it seem to have room? So many of the crossovers and suvs seem to be squishy. Ours is ok, but honestly could have a bit more room I think. We too have a red car. Since Fortune is afraid of other dogs, giving him a place to play doesn't do us much good. I eat the Yoplait variety and I like the vanilla. I like the fruit flavors too, but I have been eating just plain vanilla every day and a probiotic capsule and it seems to be doing what it is supposed to I think.

I guess I should go and fold the clothes. I laundered the clothing T left here yesterday when he put on his uniform along with a small batch of stuff that was already in the washer so need to get everything folded as the dinger went off. Have a nice Saturday and Sunday. Faye
Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #11  

Good Morning! The sun has been in and out but it is much cooler this morning. We are heading back into the 90s later in the week according to the weatherman. We skipped church this morning. mainly because it is contemporary and communion which normally would have been last week. I have lots of things I could be doing -- really need to clean kitchen cupboards but my ambition level isn't quite that revved up.

"Gma" -- I hope Thomas got some sleep on the bus and has a great time at camp! I misspoke about the tractor speed; Bob's tractor will go 18 - 20 mph while most of the tractors on the ride go 12 - 15 mph. He leads at about 13 - 14 mph in hopes the gaps between don't get too far apart. The Buick is roomier than the Ford we drove and the Ford had a shorter wheel base that Bob didn't like. Going back and forth to the kids he just feels we are safer in the Buick. I thought that yogurt and the probiotic did the same thing; it was eat/take either or. I don't ever want to go through this again; don't know whether to blame the antibiotic or the probiotic but it wasn't fun. I have a load of Bob's socks that should be dry and ready to come upstairs.

Hope you enjoy a relaxing Sunday!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #12  

Good morning everyone. It is back to being really sticky in the morning. So much for nice cool mornings I guess. It is revving back up into the 90's too.

Today was weigh in and I am down another 2 lbs. I am also down into the next set of 10 lb increments and only have 8 lbs to go to reach my goal for the cruise. All in all, I have lost 49 lbs since the beginning of the year. I actually probably have lost more than that, but I am taking the last number I remember.

Today is dusting and vacuuming day. I plan on getting to it as soon as I have breakfast and am done here. I can then do what I want with the rest of the day I guess. I have been working on cruise clothing I need to buy and will start getting all that this weekend. I need to measure myself so I buy the right sizes I guess considering I have lost almost 50 lbs.

Jack and I sat and watched, "Duck Dynasty" last night for a couple hours. It is the one reality show that I don't find disgusting or stupid. It gives me enough laughs for the next week. It is nice to watch a program without profanity, half clothed women and such. They don't sit around talking about body functions either like that ridiculous Honey BooBoo show. Now you want redneck trailer trash, that's it and is an embarrassment to people in the south IMO.

Jean: I do both yogurt and the probiotic because I have so much trouble with my colon. It seems to work great this way and though I imagine I will get tired of everyday yogurt, it comes on small containers so it is just a few spoonfuls. One thing that surprises me with all the antibiotics I have had to take over the last few years with the surgeries and such is I have never in my whole lifetime had a urinary tract infection. I know that they encourage you to eat yogurt if you are on antibiotics. I have never had a kidney or bladder infection either nor a yeast infection for that matter. Seems some of me works pretty well and some not so much! I am 4 weeks out from all the female stuff and still no sign of problems so I am keeping my fingers crossed we finally licked the problem once and for all. I just had to laugh about going out on a tractor ride and it taking all day. I think about the days before even slow tractors when they had to plow with horses, mules and such. We have come a long ways with air conditioning in them and comfortable seating and all that. I grew up in a farming community and it wasn't all that unusual to see a tractor "parked" in town.

Everyone have a great day. Faye
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #13  

Good Evening! It's sunny, hot, and humid in my corner of the world today. I just got home from the lakes luncheon; a good time was had by all although some thought the lunch was kind of skimpy. It was a salad of various greens, nuts, strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, with a small chicken breast plopped on the top, and two choices of bread. The gal handing out name tags, from the lists I turned in, is a pia so argued with a couple different gals who said they had paid but had no names listed because they didn't turn the names in to me. We won't have to do this for another 15 years so I will most likely be dead and buried by then, or won't care either way!

"Gma" -- on another 2#s gone! You are doing great! Bob likes Duck Dynasty too. I'm sure the guys are laughing all the way to the bank!

Enjoy the rest of you day and evening!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #14  

Good morning! Hot and humid already but I have to get out after Jack gets home and run a package to the post office then run to the grocery store. Alicia's bday is Sunday and I have a picture for Jackson in a frame of his dad and granddad and an 8 x 10 of the same picture for Jay. It is one taken at Wrigley Field when they went. I think I goofed and didn't take the one out for Jack to have, but I am not ripping into the box to get it. They are coming down here in Dec so I will have them bring it then.

I have kitchen duty to get to this morning and want to get it done before it gets way to hot to deal with.

Susan and Maggie: Hope you are doing ok.

Jean: Sounds like a good time had by all, well sort of. At least this isn't something you have to deal with on a weekly basis. Can you imagine being millionaires by selling handmade duck calls. Their family is a hoot I have to say. I know a few mamas like Miss Kaye for sure. It is funny how different northerners really are from southerners. You kind of have to learn a whole new way of thinking of things sometimes.

Have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! The tree guys are here finishing off the huge maple tree. They dropped the trunk, I think, and it shook the whole house. Both cats went flying to the basement. It's hot and humid again today. We need rain badly; maybe I could round up some Indians to do a rain dance! I ran errands this morning and need to make a grocery list for tomorrow. I always bake something, brownies or cookies, for Bob to take fishing. He shares with the fishing guide who loves anything chocolate.

"Gma" -- I don't envy you being out and about in the heat and humidity. I just keep my fingers crossed the air conditioner keeps humming away. I'm sure Alicia will appreciate the pictures.

I need to vacuum the fur/dust bunnies and do some serious dusting before the white glove inspection by the house fairy. Hope you all are enjoying a wonderful Wednesday!