Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Exclamation Magic Bullet vs. NutriBullet

Let me just start out by saying that I absolutely adore my Magic Bullet, something I bought three years ago specifically for making healthy drinks. I have gotten a lot of use out of it and attribute much of my weight loss success to it. I love the convenience of blending directly in the cup, and that I can make some pretty awesome smoothies out of frozen fruit, ice cubes, protein powder, greek yogurt, and various other ingredients like walnuts, spinach, and chia seeds. However, one of my blades recently started leaking and I thought about upgrading to the NutriBullet. It's got a stronger motor (600 watts vs. 250) and can supposedly break down seeds. When I use raspberries, blackberries, or whole flax seeds, the smoothies tend to get gritty from them. I also like how it works the same way as my machine does with mixing directly in the cup. But when I saw it goes for twice as much money, I bought an "unofficial" MB replacement blade for mere pennies off Amazon (the shipping cost more than the actual blade, lol), which actually breaks ice and frozen fruit better than the original ever did. However, I've still got it in the back of my mind that maybe the NutriBullet might a good buy later on down the road.

I've read comparisons and reviews, wondering how much of it is hype. Once again, I absolutely adore my Magic Bullet and I imagine it still has a lot of life left in it, but I'm now left wondering how much smoother my smoothies could potentially be. I was wondering if anyone here has made a direct comparison for themselves? I'm not currently interested in something like a Vitamix as it's way out of my price range, nor am I interested in similar drink mixers on the market with a similar wattage as my current Bullet. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the upgrade to get the stronger wattage.

Thanks for any help!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #2  

MagicBulletŪ 3-Cup NutriBullet™ is the same product...

the company first came out with magic bullet, then they made the nutribullet and just labeled as a drink maker....there is little difference in product
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3  

I do realize they're made by the same company and are similar products, but as I pointed out in my original post, the MB has a 250 watt motor, while the NB has a 600 watt motor. I can only speculate on whether or not the stronger motor is powerful enough to get the drinks smoother that what I currently make, hence why I'm asking if anyone here has made a direct comparison for themselves.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I have both the nutribullet and the vitamix ... which I realise is not quite the comparison your are after.

The nutribullet is comparable to the vitamix in terms of capacity to produce my morning shake. I actually like the nutribullet more because I can walk away with the drink in the blender glass... and there is a choice between a big one and a small one. I usually use the big one so that there is no frustration with leakage. I can safely put in more spinach, etc.

For bigger jobs (eg making bulk veggie purees) there is no question the vitamix wins it hands down...mostly because of its capacity to handle the bigger jobs.

I have no experience with the magicbullet. A friend who has both the magic and the nutri says that the nutri does a better job on tougher vegetables including things like kale. This is because the nutri has an extractor blade whereas the magic does not. Power of the motor probably has something to do with it, too.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #5  

Annik- That's actually an enormous help, thank you very much. I've been wanting to experiment a bit more with adding veggies so that'll be a bonus. I'm still happy with my MB for now, but would like to upgrade sometime before the end of the year and wanted to make sure it would be worth the extra money to me.