General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #1  

Default For those of you with diet blogs

I thought it would be fun to start a blog for my after pregnancy weightloss. I just wrote a long opening post, and then hit "post" and after much waiting it went to an error screen and hitting the back button showed the whole post was gone. I'm never wasting my time with that blog site again!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #2  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, that really sucks! I know how infuriating it is, but here's a couple of options for next time.
  • Copy the text to your clipboard (highlight, control+C) before you hit send/publish. If it gets lost, you can paste it right back in (control+V).
  • Write your post as a document in a word program (such as Microsoft Word or even WordPad), then copy and paste it in.
I can't tell you how many lengthy forum posts I'd lost back in the day before learning my lesson about saving the text before sending. I'm finally about to start a new blog myself, even though I really can't start losing again until sometime next year. Regardless, I'd love to see you start a blog. I'm sure many people would get enjoyment out of it so I hope you'll give it another shot!

Last edited by Elladorine; 07-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #3  

Thank you! I think the copy paste is a good idea. If I get the urge to re-write my intro, I think I'll do that! Also, when you try to edit you enter, before posting it, do you have to use you arrow keys to go through it? I noticed I cant just use the mouse to click back a few words and fix a typo, O have to scroll over with the arrows. Fine if I'm going back one word, pain in the rear if I spot a type 2 paragraphs up. I'm not a huge fan of proof reading for internet posts (have you seen some of my posts? lol) but for a blog, I'd like it to look like I'm not a complete idiot! I tend to type very fast, get out what I'm thinking then go back a correct a pile of errors for a blog post. Doesnt seem doable for the 3fc blog??
Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #4  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not very familiar with the 3FC blogs (I'm assuming that's what you're using?); I attempted to start one back in '09 but got frustrated and abandoned it for the more familiar but less trendy LJ (which I eventually abandoned as well). I'm currently working on the design of my new blog but it's not through 3FC and I'm not sure of the technical aspects just yet.

If you want something easy to edit and your system operates with Windows, try using WordPad for the actual writing, it should already be available in your PC (open Start and do a program search for "WordPad" if you can't find it). You won't have the issue of being limited to the arrow keys for moving the cursor around (perhaps someone more familiar with the workings of 3FC blogs can enlighten us on that?). You also have the option to save drafts on your hard drive, which is a lifesaver if your writing gets interrupted, or if it's helpful to take a break before the initial proofread (like it is for me). Once you're happy with your writing, you can copy and paste it into your blog, plus it's nice to have the option of saving back-up copies of your entries on your PC.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Elladorine; 07-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I don't use the 3FC blogs (they were disabled when I joined the site), but I use Blogger, which is google's blog system. Even though Blogger autosaves your post as you're writing it, I'm still leery of it and generally write my post in Word before copying and pasting it. I also like that it gives you a preview option for your post before you post it, so you can see exactly how it's going to look so you can adjust spacing between pictures, change the font style and size, etc before publishing.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post
I don't use the 3FC blogs (they were disabled when I joined the site), but I use Blogger, which is google's blog system. Even though Blogger autosaves your post as you're writing it, I'm still leery of it and generally write my post in Word before copying and pasting it. I also like that it gives you a preview option for your post before you post it, so you can see exactly how it's going to look so you can adjust spacing between pictures, change the font style and size, etc before publishing.
Really 3fc blogs are disabled? At the top of the page, there is a heading that says Free Diet Blogs, I click that to access my blog. Its the link right before Log Out. I did sign up for mine years ago but never used it. I think I will either do the Word thing, or copy it before post. I do not want a repeat of today!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #7  

I just tried again, but I keep getting errors...I wonder if the blogs don't work at all anymore through 3fc???
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I just tried again, but I keep getting errors...I wonder if the blogs don't work at all anymore through 3fc???
if I recall correctly, I remember that if you hasn't posted in 90 days, the site reserved the right to remove your blog. I'd have to double check the FAQs and such to make sure, but I remember there being a time limit on how long a blog would stay active after you stopped posting in it.

EDIT: Found this on the Diet Blog area "All we ask is that if you decide that blogging is not for you, please let us know so we can delete your blog. If you abandon your blog by not posting in 30 days, we will also remove it. You can start a fresh blog later if you wish. "

Last edited by Buffinlovin; 07-18-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #9  
Awesome

S/C/G: 194.4/183.2/125

Height: 5'3"

I use Tumblr. I've tried others, but it's the only one that I've managed to stick with.
Tifftastic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifftastic05 View Post
I use Tumblr. I've tried others, but it's the only one that I've managed to stick with.
Yea, there's a bunch out there...Tumblr, Wordpress (who I think does the 3FC blogs), Blogger, Livejournal...those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Glamourgirl, feel free to check mine out (link in my sig!), I use a pretty basic layout with nothing really fancy. Adding in pictures is pretty easy, same as videos. You can change the layout and the background, the font size/color/type, etc. I felt that for a blog, it was fairly user friendly, reminds me a lot like microsoft Word as far as formatting goes.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #11  

I went with blog.com! the 3fc blog keep messing up, wasnt posting anything.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 07-22-2013 at 05:32 PM.