PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default 2013 July / Aug Support Thread

Where is everyone? Come on out! Tell us how you are!
  • Who is here this month?
  • How are you?
  • How was last month?
  • How is your PCOS management last month?
  • What are you going to work on?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Things are crazy with eldercare. Boo.

Endoc appt was great -- I feel like she's really listening to me rather than treating me like "just a number" and new labs came back. She's stricter than the old endoc (yay!) and she doesn't just tell me what needs fixing but HOW to fix it.

So my goals right now are

a) stick to my meds. If I can't manage all the metformin right now, go with just the one pill at least, and ramp up as possible. No change in thyroid for now because I am fine on those levels and don't want to change too many things at once. Just concentrate on the Met, and if later I want to go with less dye/color type thyroid thing we can work on that. Listening to me about not wanting BCP because it masks symptoms of PCOS and I'm past children having. We don't want any more and DH has a vasectomy so we don't need this on my plate. YAY!

b) stick to vitamin therapies -- i have a prescription Vit D now for 12 weeks to help replenish that and see if that improves my low energy.

c) Over the counter sublingual Vit B12 -- also way low but not as bad as the D.

d) Do what I can for exercise. Anything at all. Doesn't matter what. Knowing that success there will have to come AFTER solving the energy problems.

e) Diet -- lean and green. carbs in the morning if I'm going to have them to try to minimize afternoon slump. Aim for stricter ratios initially -- 1:1 even. (carb: to protein). 2:1 maybe. Certainly not more til the IR is in shape.

I feel encouraged by her listening to me and trying to make this baby steps rather than NO support or instruction on the "HOW" of it. Because honestly if I knew how I wouldn't need this, right?

It's taken a long time for me to get a dx. It seems to have taken me a long time to arrive at an endoc person who is the right fit. I am so hoping she's the right fit. Certainly better fit than the last one.

So... keep looking, ladies. Even if it takes a long time to get there -- keep looking for the right doc to work with you.

HTH
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm finally back!

I've been traveling like crazy and I am now back home, settled in for a little while, so again, I'm going to focus on the weight loss. Invariably, with travel, it goes up, but now it's crunch time, because my clothes are feeling tight.

I'm also injured again, I keep walking in heels and tripping over them, causing my ankle to take a beating. The last one didn't result with me on the ground, but the effort it took to stay up meant that I really wrenched the ankle and even my foot...

As for the PCOS management, no exercise in about a month, unless you count walking (I don't) but I'm back on the bandwagon tonight. The nice thing about me and exercise is that I like to do it, I don't suffer trying to get motivated. I found two exercises that I like and I do them all the time -- Spinning and Pilates.

As for food and vitamins, I take my vitamins religiously, so I'm doing well there, feeling okay with those. I am back on low-carb and planning on doing a Whole30 starting August 1st with a friend of mine who needs to lose a few pounds before surgery.

Paleo works for me and I see how it improves the shape of my body, even if the weight doesn't go down. I know too many carbs just don't work.

So, my goal for November (going on a cruise in November) is to see if I can finally hit 160 (oh, that elusive number!)....
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

OMG... .i feel sooo much better today.

Back to 266 lbs. I had bloated up to 272 and it was making me crazy. With the cramps, the irritable, the ugh, etc. I hope this means I'm about to have a period. C'mon period! Or is this ovulating?

(I know that's weird to anyone else, but I figure the PCOS ladies know what this feels like. )

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #5  

I do!

Glad you're feeling better.

So, are the doc's recommendations really helping, Astrophe?

And was your Vit D level really low?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

It is too soon to tell yet.

But yes, my Vit D was super low. I got a prescription D. If that helps solve my energy problems I will be very grateful!

It reminds me of when I was TTC a decade ago. I was doing EVERYTHING "right" to lose weight and it boiled down to labs and changes in meds. Because I could do it all "Right" and it wasn't enough or going to show because the meds were not right.

I'm hoping in this case it is a vitamin prob and then the rest of the show can get ON with it. We'll see. I'm encouraged that there's some menses action seeming to try to be happening.

Maybe it means things are slowly moving toward balancing like they should?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #7  

Maybe! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, astrophe.

Lost a couple pounds and they are back... hopefully as water weight. I've been strength training and I've been sore this week.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Hanging in there -- keeping up with vitamins and meds.

Some exercise but not great.

Eldercare wackies continue.

A.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #9  

I'm still here. Started the Whole30 yesterday with a friend.

Back to working out regularly, so I am exhausted but feeling good again. Trying to manage my stress.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

No period. But whooshed UP again and some cramps. So encouraging... like a period keeps trying to happen. Which is better then ZERO action.

If the thing 2 ish weeks ago was ovulation maybe this is menses? Who knows?

But something is going on. So... yay?

I'm back on Met. In the form of Glumetza -- 1000 mg a day this week. Still ramping up.

I used up my Rainbow Light Prenatal and I'd switched to taking Rainbow light women's nutritional system as my multvitamin. I just finished the bottle and got my next one.

I also had changed from Barlean's Ultra EPA-DHA to Barlean's Essential Woman.

(I get it all via amazon.com.)

Not a big change, but enough change to notice that I feel a bit less moody so... I'll check back in when I finish this next bottle of the multi.

Never a dull moment with PCOS.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-08-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 169/164/160 lbs

Height: 5'6"

Hi. I was diagnosed with PCOS over ten years ago but never referred to an endocrinologist. Pregnancy was never an issue because I'd already had a hysterectomy, so I guess my gyno thought it was a non-issue. I only found out after hanging out here that women with PCOS get endocs, and I'm wondering if I should get one, for health rather than pregnancy considerations. However, the weight is coming off at a good rate so far. So maybe I don't need one? I dunno.
Creativian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #12  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Wink Oldie but a Newbie again! LOL.

Hello my fellow, Cysters!

My name is Sassy/Shel either one you wanna call me. I'm an "old" member but took a break for a while, but I'm back now. I turn the big 4-0 in a year and a month and I want it to be a fabulous 40!!! I am already down 20 lbs and wanna keep going!

This year has been a toughie because DH & I decided its time to give up on the infertility route. We went as far as we could go. It was a hard decision but it was time. Now if I happen to get pg naturally, then of course we would be ok with that. But just done with the infertility route or fertility route. lol

I am subscribed to PCOS DIVA on FB and this came on it recently. Have any of you heard of Glucorein? And if so have you tried it? Has it worked for you? I plan on asking my Dr about it. Here is a link for more info: http://www.pcosdiva.com/2012/09/what-is-glucorein-pcos/

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #13  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Astrophe -- I've been without AF for a little over a month now. I had cramps but nothing either. I'm on 1500 mg of Met.

Hello Creativian. Congrats on your WL. I would talk to your family Dr about it and see what they think. If your not currently having any problems, you probably don't need to see one but your Dr can tell you for sure.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #14  

I have no plans to get pregnant any time soon, but I have a reproductive endo.

It works for me, because they see high numbers of PCOS patients (usually because they can't get pregnant so they end up looking for a repro endoc) and they are usually better schooled in how to handle PCOS.

I love my endoc, he doesn't put me on medication and just wants to see me be able to manage my PCOS.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 169/164/160 lbs

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_Chick View Post
Hello Creativian. Congrats on your WL. I would talk to your family Dr about it and see what they think. If your not currently having any problems, you probably don't need to see one but your Dr can tell you for sure.
Thanks Sassy_Chick. I asked my doctor about it and he basically said, why not? Let's do it. I'm supposed to get a call from the endoc's office. I suppose it may take a while; anyone looking to get pregnant should get higher priority. But that's OK.
Creativian is offline   Reply With Quote