General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Anyone have a golden retriever? :) Puppy pic

We have a golden retriever puppy and her hair isn't coming in very much. Here she is at 5 months. Anyone else have a golden whose hair took a while to come in? Also, when do they calm down! :P We lucked out with a calmish girl but I'm used to a very lazy dachshund.

Just for fun, here's the night we brought her home:

carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #2  

OMG, how adorable! She needs a television reality series. What did you name her? She looks like she has lab in her too.
Mantuagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #3  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Josie She's actually a pure golden. We met her parents!
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #4  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

We have had several Goldens...she is a cute little Peanut
Her legs and feet look much skinnier than I have ever seen on a Golden.
Hmmm!! How do the other pups in the litter look?
Where is here feathering? Could she be more a Field Vs Show ?
We had a Golden that was a Field and was much Redder and not a thick fluffy coat ...but at that age she had much more of a coat than your pup ...plus the legs are not what I am use to seeing ... Maybe she is a throw back to one of her Grandparents...and resembles one of them.
I would post her picture on the Goldens Club and maybe they are more familiar with her line.

Our Golden Girl that we have now is how the Goldens use to look like ,lots of feathering and Golden wavy hair ...her parents were Show dogs and she has that look vs are last one that had the Field coat and much Redder and smaller.just like kids they had their own look neither is better just different ..
But if you wanted to show ...they have standards that they judge against.
Pet vs Show Quality ....and Breeders charge more if they think they conform more to the standard.
Unfortunately Goldens like German Shepherds have been over bred and just because they are purebred does not mean they represent the breed standards.
That is why some breeds are sold on a limited ownership ...have to be spayed or neutered ..so any faults will not be continued on in the line ...and responsible breeders that realize there is a problem will not breed their animal...so the breed is not damaged.
My Girls are spayed .... My male Airedale is intact and measures against the standard for the breed..but just because he does I would not consider breeding him with a Dog that would not improve the breed .. It is not enough to be AKC
And if the Dog if the ***** isn't finished and with an awesome temperament ...
Would never allow it.
We are planning on finishing him because he has an awesome temperament and personality ..and his gait is breathtaking to watch .
My Breeder did a great job...and is a Hobby Breeder ...and is not trying to make a living off of breeding dogs, she has a policy that she takes back the pup if you decide later for whatever reasons it isn't working ...so she takes great care in making the perfect match for your family ...she did this for us ...I was not looking for a boy ....but he was the perfect match in our family ...since we have an Alpha Airedale *****.
Good Luck with your Peanut...where is she on the growth Chart? Our Golden was active and had a hard time gaining weight so we need to increase her caloric intake and she filled out.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #5  
Releasing the inner hiker

My Lily is a field Golden and definitely has a thin coat. I think she looked like your girl at her age. Even now, at age three, people think she is a puppy as she is a small girl with a thin coat.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I don't have a golden, but I believe my puppy (11 months old) is 1/2 golden. I can't say much about his feathers because I got annoyed with his hair and clipped him down about the time the feathers started coming in. The main thing I've watched has been his tail, for the longest time it was scraggly with a corkscrew bit of hair at the end, but it's finally getting nice and full and fluffy.

I have read that goldens tend to get their feathers anywhere between 6 months or 2 years.
MAK247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #7  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Carbstart I don't have any advice but she is gorgeous.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote