Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default The white devil has crept up on me

I have gotten addicted to sugar I think. Splenda, diet pops, granola bars, ice cream. I have NEVER cared about that stuff in the past, even at my higher weight (I was a pasta/chip addict).

Ugh.

And yeah, that whole "current weight" thing is off by about 5lbs, which isn't a lot, but it's another to set off an alarm bell in my head.

I need help. How on earth do you do it. My husband loves those darn cereal bars. I use my 3 year old as an excuse to go buy ice cream (he has 1 bite and runs away). The whole "it's summer... I deserve it!" mentality is kicking in

Help.

I just tossed out my morning coffee (splenda) and repoured it black. I used to drink it black every day.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 179.3/164.1/128

Height: 5'8

Hi sacha,

I too struggle with sugar cravings!! I came across the website of nutritionist Madeleine Shaw (madeleineshaw.com) and she's got some great tips to kick sugar cravings. She also posts lots of super healthy and yet still delicious recipes to give us all some healthy inspiration. I also follow her on FB - she posts bits of advice daily, which I find quite helpful as little reminders each day Hope you can also gain some inspiration from her!
timetochange2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/145/119 keto

Height: 5ft2in

I didnt believe it for ages but i really find fruit helps, for me raspberries and cherries. I know its not ice cream but i will let myself have a slice of cake etc once in a while but i have factored in a bit of fruit everyday. Milk has started to taste quite sweet to me since i cut down on refined sugar too! You've lost a lot weight! Well done on that! You must have cut down on sugar to do it? Could you try what you did before again?
Sheena82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm in the sugar addict club - the more I have, the more I want. And I'm talking about added sugars, not natural sugars. Despite what many people say, I definitely notice a difference in the way my body reacts to natural sugars (e.g., those found in fruit, veg, milk) and added sugars (e.g., those found in baked goods and other processed foods). I can and do eat reasonable amounts of fruit without causing cravings. I have a hard time eating reasonable amounts of processed sweets - a little bit just is not enough. I cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners at all.
I don't think sugar is evil, I do think different people tolerate it differently, as with many things (alcohol, medications, noise, odors, etc., etc.)
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I know what you mean about the summer. I freeze grapes and my daughter goes crazy for them. I used to eat them all summer when I was a teen, and I still love them as a cold snack in the heat. It's not ice cream, but it's a similar sensation.

Banana ice cream works for us too. I like mine with peanut butter, but my daughter loves putting a little nutella in it
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #6  
chubby chica

S/C/G: 198/155/135

Munchy is so right! If you want something that tastes JUST like icecream, without the calories and processed sugars, try this:

peel, chop, freeze 2-3 bananas.
Pick your flavour: a scoop of natural peanut butter, a cup of strawberries, coconut, vanilla extract, mint - it goes with ANYTHING
put it in the blender and bob's your uncle.

It's fun, fresh, tasty, vegan, and most of all, it's about 100 - 200 calories a (big) serving, without all the excess trans and other fats. It tastes just like the real thing, and is super creamy and smooth.

Last edited by flea; 07-10-2013 at 10:04 AM.
flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #7  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

My husband loves granola and cereal bars too and they are a HUGE trigger for me. I make him keep them in his truck so he can have them at work, but they are not in the house for me to try and resist. As far as sweets for the kids, I only allow things I'm not crazy about to be kept in the house, lol. I love chocolate, so no chocolate in the house (my daughter is allergic to it anyway so that kinda helps too). I'm not crazy about certain cookies, like vanilla wafers, and vanilla ice cream, so those are "safe". We also found a wonderful frozen yogurt place with self-serve soft serve yogurt and toppings, and we take the kids at least every other week. I get a no sugar added flavor with chopped almonds on top.

I did recently discover some Greek yogurt covered pretzels at a health food store and I got them for the kids. My daughter is on a high calorie, high protein/fat diet so any protein I can sneak in is great. I tasted one and OMG. Soooo good. I am going to have to be very careful until they are gone, and I might have to consider a different snack after that. They are just too good for me to trust myself with
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #8  
Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 280/162/160

It happened to me too. Had myself completely weaned off sodas but limited my sugar intake in teas and coffee. Then I was out having a 'fast food' day and I had a Coke. And I realized I'd missed having a Coke. Then it grew to "I can allow myself 1 soda a week" and then I said "Maybe 1 soda a day, I'll cut my cals elsewhere"... nevermind my big vice was liquid calories via sodas for years. :P

I'm re-weaning currently. Just after I found a crystal light peach tea blend that I'm in love with. :/
586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Oh, I went to my parents' house last week and my mom had a box of these. They were delicious!

I understand that they're really easy to make at home and they are very similar to ice cream.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #10  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Good Tip: Banana Ice Cream. Trying it this week! Thanks!
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It's probably from all the stress of being a mom, right? No more "8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night" and all that. Makes it easier to turn to sugar and stuff.

I have no wise words for you but you are not powerless against the white devil.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140

Height: 5'1

So....I realized today after reading this...that I am addicted to sugar...and it might be why I haven't lost any weight. I always tell myself...its just dessert(typically ice cream or gelato), you can have it.....and that is every night.. So I have set myself a goal for today....NO dessert...it's one day and I can do it. I will DO IT. and of course...all I want is the sweets...so I keep drinking water to hope that it will help! Wish me luck!
KYgirlinSC is offline   Reply With Quote