Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Which excuses did you overcome and stayed on plan?

I have been up since 3:15 a.m. and my appetite is through the roof, but I still worked out and stayed within my calorie range.

I have daily migraines but I didn't let it get me down today.

Which excuses did you push aside to stay on plan?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/???/120

Height: 5'8

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your migrains, I know wut a pain they can be!! Good on you for not caving thought! =)

I was on a binge marathon for 3 months which resulted in putting on 18 kg (36 pounds). I got back on my plan 27 days ago and on day 4 I started thinking "your birthday is coming soon (29/6) so why start now? You're fat anyways, start your diet after your bday!" It was a struggle for a few days but I refused to give in! I didn't want to add 10-15 pounds more!! Here I am now so proud for not caving and I had an awesome birthday while on my health plan =)

xx

Yasmin
kjasmin1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

With today being a holiday that traditionally involves grilled foods, high carb/calorie salads, desserts, not to mention beer, I thought about just chalking it up to a major cheat day. But then I thought -- hey, you're the cook and they've never turned down a meal yet. So, I redid the menu, and we're having grilled chicken and shrimp, cauliflower patties, potato wedges for the non-dieters, carrot salad, and a strawberry mousse with blueberries and whipped topping (red, white, and blue) for dessert. Even with eating lunch, I've managed to create a menu that will keep me under 1200 calories for the day!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

One excuse I no longer use: "I'm up past midnight working on X assignment, so I NEED to refuel."

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That's a good one Freelance, and I've been slipping on that in the past few weeks. I tend to munch when stressed, and default to it. Never enough to regain, but enough to stall out in maintenance instead of continue losing. I've overcome the 'its been a long time, I need to eat' excuse in the past and now, again. I need to apply my brain to losing and not my whims
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #6  
a healthier me

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3" Age: 42

My dad had a stroke Sunday evening. I have such worry, stress, concern...

I gave myself a pep talk. I came to the conclusion that I can not control what is happening to my dad and how this all will end up but I can definitely keep control of my eating and exercising. I actually really pushed myself extra hard on Monday and Tuesday and have now been going my normal rate.

Besides the stroke, I am a single mom and I live in a state that is currently very hot and humid. I could easily use either of those as excuses and have heard plenty of excuses for each. So it's hot and humid, I walk 8 to 12 miles a day in my house with a mix of in-place and walking around the main area of my home. I am my son's main role model and I want/need to be around for him and I want to be able to watch future grandchildren grow-up.

Last edited by aspen13; 07-04-2013 at 06:58 PM.
aspen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

aspen13, I'm SO sorry about your dad's stroke. My heart goes out to you! I'm so impressed with your dedication. I tend to turn to food in times of extreme stress but there's a quote that echos my feelings about stress related binges: If food is not the problem, then food is not the solution." I have to tell myself that today in particular because my special needs son had a very tough day and it broke my heart into a million pieces....I'm chewing gum instead of turning to a jar of Nutella or a box of See's candies someone brought over last Sunday. It is still unopened and I'm impressed with that.

Thanks for all of your responses. I find it so inspiring to hear of how others are overcoming their excuses and sticking with their plans no matter what.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #8  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I like this thread. I think sometimes we rely on excuses that we are not even aware are excuses. It can be helpful to see others spell out their own to give a different perspective on the choices we make.

The big one for me that really changed my weight loss process and made it possible to lose as much as I did was:

"I don't have time with my demanding job and busy life to cook and her healthy foods on hand and exercise very regularly."

I had to make time. I don't know how I could have lost the weight I lost if I hadn't figured out a way to have a healthy on-plan home-cooked dinner six nights a week, on-plan breakfasts and snacks on hand all the time, and so on. Or if I hadn't figured out a way to get to the gym at first 2-3 times a week and now 4-5 times, with additional exercise on weekends.

At first I did not have time, it's true, but I had to make time for stuff like this. I had to. And that did mean cutting back on other things I like to do. I do not get to pursue my main enthusiasm with as much devotion as I did back when I was eating my way up to 275 pounds. Between the cooking, planning, and exercising, I have about 12 fewer hours a to spend on it than I used to. That is significant! But it is a trade-off that has been well worth it.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #9  
a healthier me

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3" Age: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
aspen13, I'm SO sorry about your dad's stroke. My heart goes out to you! I'm so impressed with your dedication. I tend to turn to food in times of extreme stress but there's a quote that echos my feelings about stress related binges: If food is not the problem, then food is not the solution." I have to tell myself that today in particular because my special needs son had a very tough day and it broke my heart into a million pieces....I'm chewing gum instead of turning to a jar of Nutella or a box of See's candies someone brought over last Sunday. It is still unopened and I'm impressed with that.

Thanks for all of your responses. I find it so inspiring to hear of how others are overcoming their excuses and sticking with their plans no matter what.
Thank you, luckymommy!

Good for you for pushing yourself through your difficult time. I am so sorry your son had a hard day. I hope today is much better for him (and you).

This is a wonderful thread. Very inspirational.
aspen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #10  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I started with the "Oh you have a very busy day today, just do your workout tomorrow, eat better tomorrow, etc etc" but then I quickly told myself NO, stay on plan, you have been doing great this week and there is no reason no matter how busy I am to not eat on plan, and I can make room for exercise today.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #11  
Noob :)

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

I've used the " I don't have time" thing but also used the "I don't feel good" excuse. But y'all, that's a bunch of bull. Right now, I quite honestly do NOT feel good! But I'm forcing myself to eat right and exercise, because it will hopefully make me feel better! I was diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disease last fall, and I'm sure my extra weight is not helping matters in terms of how I feel.
itsnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I used to use the I don't have time excuse when I was working. Then I retired and used the "you've earned this down time, you can exercise tomorrow......or the day after." Well, it's now several years after, and I finally realized that time was just another excuse I was using. Now I'm in a routine, and it takes a major event for me to alter that routine.

Last edited by betsy2013; 07-05-2013 at 11:09 AM.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote