Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/170

Default 80 lbs in 6 months? Need feedback!

First, I'd like to introcude myself. I'm 20-years-old, 5 foot 7, and weigh 250 pounds. I've been reading all over 3FC for a few months on a daily basis and I'm just simply amazed at the progress that people have made, but most importantly, the support that everyone gives here. So, I have decided to jump on the train.

My life dream is to become a US Marine. However, my weight stands in my way. Some obesity and major diabetes (I do not have diabetes) run in my family, so I guess I've always had myself brainwashed that this is all I'll ever be.... especially since my mother has always told me that no matter how hard I try, I'll never be "small" or" skinny" because I'm just simply a "bigger-built" person and there's nothing I can do about it. However, over the course of the past few months I've decided that you only live once, and I WILL accomplish my goal.

I really need to lose 90 lbs which will make my weight 160 lbs. (USMC female weight standard for a female my heigth.) I'm sticking with 80 right now beause I know if I can reach 80 then I can easily lose 10 more.

80 pounds in 6 months is about 13.5 pounds a month. From what I've read, this is a pretty reasonable and healthy goal, right? I start my diet on July 8th and plan to be at my desired weight by Jan 8th, 2014. I'll start out with walkimg 45 mins a day, and work my way up to more extensive workouts. I've been doing s lot of research about the raw diet. I'm thinking about doin a partial-raw. My idea of this would be lots of water, and raw all day until dinnertime. I know myself too well, and I know I would fail if I tried to do 100% raw. So, when dinnertime rolls around, I'll eat it, but only half of what I'd normally eat. I need advice on how this diet sounds, and how effective it would be. I can't do the whole eating every few hours because I work 10 hours a day so I only eat when I get a chance. If this diet sounds like a bad idea, please let me know! I'm open to any diets at all. I'm doing this all natural. No surgeries, no weightloss pills.

Thank you so much for reading. I can not wait for feedack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.3 KB, 45 views)
DebbaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/169/155

Height: 5'5"

Hi Debba!

Exactly 3 months ago I weighed in at 250. The first two months, I lost 20 pounds each. Last month I lost 15 pounds. I expect weight loss to slow down a bit now as I get smaller.

So with that being said, I think your goal sounds totally attainable. I know that people say you should only lose 1-2 pounds a week. And for some people that may be true. Especially the smaller you are. But I think at your size, you can comfortably lose more weight in the beginning.

I think the most important thing is to make sure you are eating enough (don't starve yourself!), drink lots of water, and exercise. I am a vegetarian, and the hardest thing for me was cutting out carbs. And blended chais, ha ha. It might be hard to get your calorie count on a raw diet, so make sure you at least get your 1200 calories a day. Also (just a suggestion), if you are allowing yourself normal food at the end of the day -- another option might be to allow yourself the normal meal in the morning. Carbs at the end of the day tend to stall weight loss. I try to eat my grains in the morning or lunch, and try to keep it light for dinner. Also, not eating late really helps (no late night snacks ).

I started out walking as well, and if you haven't heard of it, C25K is amazing. I started out running a few minutes at a time. Then more, and currently I'm running a 5K a day. I used to barely be able to run at 5mph on my treadmill, and now I can comfortably run at 6, and uncomfortably run at 6.5.

Not sure if that helps, as everyone is different, but I thought I would share my experience as I was right where you are at just a little bit ago. Congrats for getting started! Sometimes that is the hardest part
jessicado22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #3  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

Hi Debba!
Welcome to 3fc!!!!!!
Just wanted to say that if you have family history of diabetes maybe you should look into low carb, I have insulin resistance and it is what my doctor gave me.
I’m sure that any diet you decide upon, if you are consistent, will take you to your goal, but people with insulin issues have good results with that kind of diets! At least I have, and my mom who doesn’t have IR but decided to follow me has also had wonderful results! If you want info feel free to message me!
The walking part sounds great!
Well, I wish you the best and keep us posted on your achievements!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Hi Debba,

Welcome.

I think it's important that your goal requires more than just a standard weight on a chart - you would be better off (IMO) finding a sustainable plan that allows you to lose the excess weight AND retain as much muscle/strength as possible (in conjunction with a proper exercise plan).

You can lose 80lbs in 6 months and end up as weak as a kitten because you did it while not intaking sufficient protein or fats.

13-14lbs a month might be easy at first but when you are 180lbs, it would start slowing down.

I *personally* feel that 80lbs in 6 months is unrealistic if you wish to retain the strength and fitness (or develop even more of it!) for your goal. I'm not a marine, but I have been through a lot of police fitness testing, and I know that the number on the page is only part of the equation.

Last edited by sacha; 07-04-2013 at 07:46 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I would recommend checking out a calorie counting food app such as lose it or my fitness pal to help make sure you are getting all of your calorie needs and micronutrition into your diet. At your weight and height 2000 cals is about what you should be taking in per day to lose the max per week that is healthy. Concentrate on higher protein/ lower carb to maintain muscle mass.

I would suggest a weight lifting/ HIT type workout program and will help you gain muscle. Start with walking and work that C25K program.

Just an FYI, it look me a year and a half to lose 85 pounds. I started with walking and calorie counting. I was working on the slower end of things, but I did it. I would just start a healthy plan you enjoy and see what happens. Some weight loss in 6 months is better than nothing.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 07-04-2013 at 08:18 AM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I lost 80 pounds in less than 6 months, but I was almost 100 pounds heavier than you. I dropped close to 30 in the first month I think. I eat a lot of raw veggies and moderate fruit and lean proteins. Make sure you eat enough protein. You don't need to be excessive on your workouts. Have you thought about weight lifting?
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

To lose that amount of weight in that amount of time I would suggest some sort of highly structured and supervised program like IP or something along those lines... or some other sort of medically supervised PSMF...

As far as the raw diet goes... I can speak from my own personal experience since I followed a 100% raw diet for several months a few years ago... It is a very, very labor intensive way to eat and requires quite a bit of planning... I live in NYC and had the benefit of using a raw meal delivery service as well as having one of the best raw food restaurants in the city in my neighborhood that I ate at several times a week... So personally, I don't think it would be the best way to achieve your goal... But you will still be able to incorporate lots of low calorie raw veggies in a PSMF, so hopefully that could satisfy your desire to have "raw" foods as part of your plan...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #8  

Hmmm, 80 pounds in 6 months seems like a lot. And like other people said, the lighter you get the harder it is to lose those big numbers.

If you are really really set on that goal, it is likely doable though. First of all, you are young so you have a faster metabolism on your side. I wouldn't cut your calories too low. The generic number people pick is 1200 cals a day.

If I were you trying to lose that kind of weight I would fall back on a lot of intense exercise. A lot. Running several miles a day and increasing your mileage over the next 6 months(not just a 30 minute walk on a treadmill). Biking, swimming, I would work out at least once a day, sometimes twice. I would do a very strict weight lifting routine, as building muscle will help increase your metabolism.

And you don't have the wiggle room to go off plan for a week or so. The problem isn't now, because at your current weight it will probably come off pretty quick but as you get closer to goal it will be very hard to lose as much in a week, so my plan would be to get ahead now so you don't find yourself near the end and not able to get to goal in time. If I were you I'd rather be very strict and practice a very intesne workout now so I have some breathing room near goal. But that's just me.

People also made a graet point about what you eat, I'd stick to lower carbs, and consentrate the ones you do eat to early in the day and before very intense workouts. My rule is if I'm running more than 3-4 miles in the morning before breakfast, I eat like a half banana. I get better runs with a little food. (well I dont run now but before and after baby)

My opinion is mostly lean meats and veggies. Watch the fruits, and carbs. People will have many different opinions, but this is what has worked for me. Also sugars, junk food, etc...I'd get rid of those too. But again thats just me.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 07-04-2013 at 10:07 AM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

While losing weight is difficult enough, that alone won't be enough to get through Marine boot camp. You need to be physically fit before you go through it or your chances of wash out are extremely high. You also need to be emotionally prepared.

Please do a lot of reading, research and physical preparation before hand. This website is a good start: http://www.military.com/military-fit...d-for-bootcamp

I also suggest that you talk to as many Marines, particularly women, as possible to get some idea of what it will be like for you.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

My feedback is you need to start. NOW.

You don't need to create a plan before you start. You can go on a walk today. Stay hydrated, eat less than normal.

I'd suggest you go the opposite route of what you're thinking. I'd go with a simple approach of just eating meat, lots of veggies, and some fruit. Stay away from carbs like potatoes, breads, pasta, rice etc ... don't drink any calories. Very simple and yet highly effective. This will allow you to focus on your training and not spend a lot of time on your diet.

Regardless of what diet you follow the training in your case is just as important as losing weight. I don't know how much time you have but I'd suggest you train twice a day. Early AM and also in the evening. Just ramp up the intensity slowly but consistantly and listen to your body. Warm up, and warm down. Stretch after. I'd model your training after the PT test you're going to have to take.

In three months, if you train consistantly, you'll amazed at what you can do.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I'd model your training after the PT test you're going to have to take.
I think this advice from JohnP is probably the best advice here (not that the rest of it is bad, just I think this is important). My Dad was in the Marines and I know others who are/were in the military and the PT test is very important. I think you definently need to start running ASAP - I *think* part of the test is how fast you can run a certain amount of miles. I started running around 240 lbs, so its possible to run at a heavier weight. Make sure you get good running shoes. I'd find out how far and how fast you have to run to past the tests and get moving and work toward that goal.

I'm not one to ask how to lose a large amount of weight quickly - I reached my highest weight at the end of 2006 and have been working at losing weight since then and as you can see by my ticker, I've lost about the same you want to lose in 6 months

If you work hard and stick with it, I think you'll be able to do it!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbaK View Post

My life dream is to become a US Marine. However, my weight stands in my way. Some obesity and major diabetes (I do not have diabetes) run in my family, so I guess I've always had myself brainwashed that this is all I'll ever be.... especially since my mother has always told me that no matter how hard I try, I'll never be "small" or" skinny" because I'm just simply a "bigger-built" person and there's nothing I can do about it. However, over the course of the past few months I've decided that you only live once, and I WILL accomplish my goal.

I'm not going to really go into losing 80lbs within a certain timeframe (please TRY NOT to give yourself a timeframe, though, if you can) because you've gotten some advice already, but I want to address this part here.

I was told the same thing from a young age, and I was over 200lbs in high school (I'm guessing I got into the 220s? I don't really know). So I really just thought that I was meant to be big forever. My family also struggles with weight and diabetes runs on both sides.

It wasn't true in my case, as you can see. It was our eating habits. I remember looking at size 0s when I was a size 18 and my mother saying: "oh you'll never be this small, none of us will," and it's the size I wear right now, comfortably. I never actually set out to be this small—I just ended up here and seemed to settle here after eating right and exercising.

My point being that I'm glad to see you're tossing that notion out the window. DON'T let it get to you, which is easier said than done. I know how it is to just hear over and over "you'll never be small," but it's totally awesome to break that perception and have your family realize that they can totally overcome this too.

Altogether my family has lost a lot of weight and is eating healthier, which happened after they realized that it was possible. It's really awesome to see and I hope that this puts all of them on a healthy path.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

What a great goal! I love that you already have a reward in place that has nothing to do with how you look, and everything to do with your service for our country. I applaud you for that!

Since the USMC requires you to be a certain weight, I can understand why that weight is your goal. However, I think you may have more success if you do not put a timeline on it. 13.5 lbs a month sounds a little high to me, and sometimes it takes time to find the right eating and workout plan for you. Our bodies don't always respond the way we would like them to, and it's important to not feel guilty if you don't have immediate success.

Personally, I was the most successful when I focused every day on working out and eating right without a set goal. I knew that I would love to be 150, but I didn't focus on that number. I focused on eating less, eating better, and working out every day. The scale going down and my body shrinking was incredible motivation, obviously, but it was not my focus. When I set my sights on eating for nutrition, not cravings, it was incredible how easy it seemed after a few months.

I would strongly, strongly advise to add strength training from the beginning. Not only will you need strength to survive bootcamp, but you would be amazed at how you will see your body change.

Overall, I think you have a decent starting point. Don't fret if parts don't work for you and need to be tweaked. You may find that eating raw for only 1 meal a day is best for you, and that's ok! You may find that you don't like walking but would prefer biking, and that's fantastic! Give yourself some leeway to figure out WHAT works best for you. That will make it easier in the long run to achieve and maintain a normal weight.
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/250/170

Thank you everyone so much for the advice and feedback. It's appreciated more than you know. I've learned a lot already! I like the idea of not really setting a date. I think this would make things a lot less stressful on me. I'm going to give myself a little time to figure out what works best for me. This will be my first time ever on a "real" diet and exercise plan. By "real", I mean one that actually lasted longer than 4 days. I can't wait to get started!
I may write a blog to keep up with my progress.
I'll keep you guys updated!

Again, thanks so much.
DebbaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Are you sure you wouldn't rather join the Air Force? You should know that the Marines are going to try and run you to death. If you aren't up to running 5-10 miles at a stretch, you're going to be rudely surprised. Any excess weight on your frame (i.e. fat) is going to be a severe liability. And they couldn't care less how much muscle you have or how toned you are. If you can't run long distances, you're toast. And that means getting lean, lean, lean. The less you have to lose come boot camp time, the less you'll hate your life while you're there.

Just an aside - boot camp is also about being mentally fit, not just physically fit. You'll be yelled and screamed at, mocked for anything they can find to mock you for, and blamed for everything. But it's all an act, designed to filter out the weaklings (and a horde of them go into boot camp). Don't take anything personally, and just realize that it's all for show and let their remarks go over you like water off a duck's back. You'll be amazed at the "civility" of your superiors once you leave boot camp. They'll actually treat you with respect!

Good luck!

Last edited by tricon7; 07-04-2013 at 03:27 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote