PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #1  

Default Weight Loss W/O meds

Hi all,

So is anyone on here currently losing weight without the meds? I don't really want to go on anything. I just want to stick with vitamins and low carbs. I've not lost anything in like 3 days now, gained 1 pound but my lovely monthly visitor came yesterday so I'm guessing that's why it shows I gained 1 pound.

Anyone have tips that is losing weight without any meds.

I know it can be done and I am willing to work harder if that's what I need to do.

I don't even want to go on bc pills, they made me feel icky when I went on it to regulate my periods 2 years ago.

I lost 6 pounds in a week and a few days low carbing and 30-40 min of daily working out but now stuck at losing nothing the last few days (going up 1 pound actually) has me stressed a bit, guessing it's just my period wrecking things?

Thanks all for the support!
CourtneyTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #2  

Ok so I was looking online and found this...

Does anyone take NAC?

pcosjamaica.com/pcos-2/natural-alternative-to-metformin
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Courtney,

I'm not using any meds. Portion control and limiting carbs has worked...slowly. It takes a while to figure out what works for your body.

I was surprised to see the weight jump a week before TOM arrives. I noticed a 3lb gain one month. Eek!

Awesome job on the exercising each day!

(oh, and I haven't used that NAC)
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Right now I am on several meds that affect my appetite or weight loss in some way. Birth control tends to reduce my pms hunger. Metformin initially helped my appetite, now it only regulates my blood sugar. I'm periodically on prednisone, which makes extreme pms hunger seem like child's play.

I've lost (and gained) weight with medications and without them and with and without meds that affect appetite and weight loss, and in my experience the process is pretty much the same.

Meds can influence hunger and metabolism and the comfort level during weight loss, but the process doesn't change.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #5  

Thank you BOTH! for posting.

I weighed today and the scale is back to moving a bit.

I'm down 8 lbs in 2 weeks and today is TOM day #3.

I'm just going to keep on the low carb route, exercise daily (I feel fab when I do so might as well) and see what the scale does.

I just have to get past TOM and I'm betting the scale will start moving again.

I'm not a big fan of any meds, I only want to go that direction if I don't have another more natural option.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

i am being forced into taking bc but I absolutely refuse to. I lost 20 kilos in total, then put on 2 kilos while I was in NY and then two more kilos have just creeped on before my TOM - I haven't weighed myself since. To be fair I haven't been strict on myself, but doing really strict paleo is the only thing that has worked for me. I also take fish oil, a multivitamin, and a digestive enzyme with all my meals. I don't eat fruit and I limit the amount of fats I eat daily, but it has helped... I just need to get back to it.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #7  

I take a great multivitamin with lots of B vitamins, Biotin, and more! Plus I added a D3 and feel I have more energy at least. Tomorrow I'm starting Saw Palmetto and I've been thinking about taking a few more but goodness it's getting scary thinking of taking more things

I've always been one to get my TOM, I know some women don't get them at all or very often with PCOS, yeah it sticks around longer than it should sometimes but it comes so I think I just need to work out, get the weight off and surely the TOM will not stick around as long.

It's great we all have a board like this to help with those times where we need support!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Right now I am on several meds that affect my appetite or weight loss in some way. Birth control tends to reduce my pms hunger. Metformin initially helped my appetite, now it only regulates my blood sugar. I'm periodically on prednisone, which makes extreme pms hunger seem like child's play.

I've lost (and gained) weight with medications and without them and with and without meds that affect appetite and weight loss, and in my experience the process is pretty much the same.

Meds can influence hunger and metabolism and the comfort level during weight loss, but the process doesn't change.
is this phyisical hunger or emotional hunger? do you feel growling in your stomach or just strong cravings? i'm asking because i have no idea what normal hunger is or should be
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by missunshine View Post
is this phyisical hunger or emotional hunger? do you feel growling in your stomach or just strong cravings? i'm asking because i have no idea what normal hunger is or should be

I used to assume that cravings and food obsessions and the inability to stop eating even when my stomach hurt from overeating were all signs of emotional hunger, not "real" hunger. Then I started reading some of the newer obesity and diet research, and I'm convinced that it's ALL physiological hunger for many of us.

For example at least one study found that obese subjects have less of the hormone that triggers eating for thinner subjects, but less of the hormone that signals satiety.

This is consistent with my experience as (when I was young and foolish) found it easier to eat nothing for three or four dsys than to stop once I started.

Other studies found that a growling stomach is only one kind of hunger, and not everyone, thin or obese experiences hunger as a feeling in the stomach at all.

If I waited to eat until my stomach growled, I often would pass out from hunger first.

The researchers found that for some people a headache was their only symptom of hunger, for others irritability or cravings might be their only hunger cue.

I used to think cravings, food thoughts, and an inability to stop eating were all "emotional" or "false" hunger, but if that's true, why do all three disappear if I eat very low carb?

On high carb, I might feel a little light headed if I go without eating, but only if I haven't eaten in ten or twelve hours. On high-carb, I cannot concentrate on anything because of food obsession. I want to eat, but there are no other symptoms, and the more carbs I eat, the more I want and the harder it is to think of anything but food and eating.

On very low carb, I CAN forget to eat. My first sign of hunger is that my husband suddenly becomes a jerk. Seriously though the first symptom is irritability and hubby is the first to notice it because I suddenly start treating him like a jerk. He'll ask me when I last ate to show me that I'm hungry.

If I don't eat, the second stage of hunger is a piercing headache. If I don't realize it's a hunger headache, the third stage is light-headedness and nausea. If I don't eat within seconds of stage 3, stage four is passing out.

Normall, I try to eat moderate carb. Not so high carb that I'm food obsessed, but not so low carb that I risk passing out.

That I can prevent cravings and food obsessions by what I eat, to me proves that the hunger wasn't false or emotional, it was physiological.

I can withstand the discomfort of stomach growling (on the rare occasion that I experience it). I can endure irritability, headaches, nausea, vertigo (everything up to the 90 seconds before passing out).

Pain hunger is easy for me to ignore. The intense, compulsive, cravings are what takes too much white-knuckle willpower for me to ignore for long.

I'll take irritability any day.

Not everyone gets to choose their hunger, but I can by choosing diffetent food strategies.

Even purely emotional eating is largely physiological. Comfort foods are almost always concentrated carbohydrates, which act as a sedative and pain killer. When we're sick or sad, we crave them in order to self-medicate because it works. Carbs act as mood elevator, sedative, and pain reliever.

I've struggled with a recent weight gain that can be partially attributed to carbs being used by both myself and my hubby to medicate my pain. We did it without even realizing it.

I believe it was either David Kessler (the author of The End of Overeating) or Gart Taubes in Good Caloried, Bad Caloried who wrote something to the effect that "all hunger is physiological hunger," and while I didn't fully believe that when I read it, I am starting to.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

kaplods, thank you for such an awesome answer. i really relate to it, especially with eating the high carb i crave more carbs and my hunger is different than the one if i eat more proteins.
i feel lightheaded too after high carb, and the hunger comes faster.

my only question about these meds...do they stop your mental hunger or physical hunger?
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by missunshine View Post
kaplods, thank you for such an awesome answer. i really relate to it, especially with eating the high carb i crave more carbs and my hunger is different than the one if i eat more proteins.
i feel lightheaded too after high carb, and the hunger comes faster.

my only question about these meds...do they stop your mental hunger or physical hunger?
I'm saying all hunger is physical, but every med affects each person's hunger symptoms differently, but in my experience there is no difference. When my appetite is affected by a med, all my hunger variations are affected.

For example, Metformin - it's job is to help regulate blood sugar. Initially it suppressed appetite but perhaps only because it unsettled my stomach until I got used to it. It may be helping with appetite (desire to eat) and hunger cues as I do have to pay more attention to how long it's been since I've eaten compared to when I'm not on meds.

I don't take Metformin to suppress hunger or appetite. I take it to manage blood sugar. Appetite effects are just a side benefit.

I periodically need to be on prednisone for my autoimmune issues, and it increases appetite and hunger.

You may find that some meds affect appetite, food thoughts, and hunger sensations all equally, or possibly each differently.

Regardless, the purpose of the meds for PCOS aren't appetite/hunger suppression, it's blood sugar stabilization (which can indirectly even-out or reduce appetite and hunger).

Insulin resistance causes blood sugar problems which cause inflammation which damages the body over time. Preventing the inflammatory response is the reason to take Metformin. Appetite and hunger suppression may be a small side benefit, but it's not the main benefit by a long shot.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-05-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #12  

The only 'meds' I take is BC, and as much as I don't want to take them, without it... well, let's just say I need it to keep bleeding/pains/sickness at bay.

However, apart from that - no meds! I am trying to loose the weight, 10kgs down so far. I keep my starches, sugars (which is hard!), processed foods, etc.. to a minimum. It did take some figuring out to know what my body can and cannot handle, and I try to eat within those guidelines.
I'm not perfect, I still eat chocolate (which gives me a whopper headache), or have some chips .. but it's all about portions.

Finding the food that works for your body, I believe, is the key. Each body will need different fuels.
Squishee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #13  

I'm still not on any meds, I've lost 14 lbs in almost 2 months. Not super fantastic, but I've had lots of stuff thrown my way in the last 3 weeks or so. My bday is Saturday and after that I feel like I can get back on track.

Regardless I'm happy with that and I'm still motivated to keep going!

I'm doing low carb / low GI combination and it's pretty good.

I don't miss any foods I'm just lulling on the work out part and I know that's very crucial to getting the weight off.

Back to hard work outs tomorrow
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm also losing on no meds, just sensible low-carb, calorie counting, and exercising.

I do take supplements, but it's more for health than losing weight.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 199/180/124

Height: 5'2

I am not taking supplements, but I have a Nuva Ring in (low hormone) and Spironolactone for the terrible hirsutism I have.

When I work out 3 hrs per week and practice portion control w/ low carb, I can do this without any meds or supplements. It takes awhile, but it's liberating to not be tied to prescriptions.

The only reason for the Nuva Ring is because I only lose weight when I have a period. I've never had my own period. As for the Spiro, it's mainly because of embarrassment.

Hope this somewhat helps!
jmeloses is offline   Reply With Quote