General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Default Interesting Ted Talk - Worth WAtching

http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia...on__2013-06-25
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #2  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Thumbs up

Good rec.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #3  

wow. Thank you for posting that. I'm an RN, and it was very interesting, especially the fact that we have so many patients that are a healthy weight but have type 2 diabetes and obese patients that do not.

The end brought me to tears! It was so brave of him to admit what many healthcare professional face at one time or another in their career, a patient that we judge. Being in healthcare forces us to face those judgements and move beyond them (or at least it should). I look back at my early years and think of situations that while I handled them clinically correct, I wish the thoughts in my head were different. Watching him breakdown, I could really understand the regret and guilt he felt. And yet, it was good to see he grew and saw the error of his ways.

Absolutely terrific post, thank you again!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMisfit View Post
Yes, weight bias in healthcare is very real. I've been thinking about making a thread on it actually.
So is smoking bias. In my experience, there is more judgement against smokers than the obese. And alcoholics. And drug addicts. And the uninsured....

The list goes on and on, depends on the healthcare worker, their personal experiences, the beliefs they were taught as a child, how they live as an adult etc.

Basically any "illness" or issue that is percieved to be a choice or the result of a choice, there exist the potential that your healthcare provider will be silently judging you or condemning you for it. It is absolutely not limited to a weight bias, nor is weight bias the more pressing bais in healthcare. It might seem that way because that's what you are facing as the patient. I think most healthcare providers grow beyond this, IMO, but some never do.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Love Peter, but wish he hadn't done the melodramatics. His blog has been excellent.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Love Peter, but wish he hadn't done the melodramatics. His blog has been excellent.
Me, too. I must admit to getting ever so slightly teary eyed myself at the end of his talk, but I'm not sure I believe it was completely genuine. I mean, I'm sure he does in fact have huge regretful feelings about that situation, but not sure that he didn't plan on crying.

Anyhow, he is awesomely awesome and I'm happy someone posted this here. I was surprised to see it bc I feel like I may be the only one crazy enough here to actually be following his woe. lol
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I didn't find it worth watching, at all. Talk about 15 minute speech that could have been done in two minutes. I don't know why you need a team of the most genius researchers to figure this out.

The standard american diet is terrible and has far too much sugar AND fat in it.

Being overweight doesn't automatically mean you're not in good health.

Regular exercise and regulating stress are key to good health.

An individulized approach to weight loss is best, determined by genetics and lifestyle.

I am awesome. I just solved the obesity crisis. No drama needed.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

His fledging organization is more focused on providing some solid data to back up what many of us have experienced anecdotally, and delve more into leptin regulation and how the HPA axis factors into weight loss, instead of strictly the nutrient or energy components of the equation. In that sense NuSI is something I am really thrilled to see worked through and supported. But I agree a fifteen minute talk wasn't needed, especially when he's blogged on all of that better and more thoroughly. And knowing the TED training focuses not on the quality of your topic, but how to present in a moving and impact full way (he's said as much, himself), I think the story became more about Peter Attia's performance (and I do mean performance - yikes!) and less about the validity of his points.

But seriously, if you folks haven't looked into his site, lots of good stuff there:
http://eatingacademy.com/

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 07-02-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #9  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

I am awesome. I just solved the obesity crisis. No drama needed.
I love it!
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote