Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #1  

Default Anyone love exercise but hate the food part of weightloss??

I'm getting excited about starting my post baby weight loss (few more weeks), but I realized that most of my excitement is about running. I can't wait to get back to running, but I do have some serious weight to loss as well.
I'm not excited about the "weightloss" part relating to food. I have been pretty laxed with my calories as I get closer to having the baby, and I'm also getting relaxed about my food choices. I've done this with each baby, towards the end I kind of let myself eat as I please as kind of like a last hoorah before I have to lose the baby weight.

My whole life I've loved the exercise part!! And hated the calorie counting part. I'm just not happy on 1200, 1500, or even 1800 cals a day. And at my typical weight (like 160s) that's around what I should be eating. I've always been an over eater and I feel frustrated and unhappy if I just can't eat whatever, whenever and however much I want. If I ate to my hearts content I would be like 500 lbs.

In fact my biggest motivator to lose weight (eating controled) is that the lighter am the better I run! Without the want to exercise better, I doubt anything would convince me to not eat tons of food.

Anyone totally in love with exercise but just can not stand watching their eating??

I'm already ready dreading the intense calorie counting, the measuring out foods, carefully watching everything so I dont go over my calories...And I HAVE to do that, I can not eat by intuition! My internal food alarm (not eating too much) does not work!!! I cannot be trusted to eye ball anything!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #2  

No, I'm the other way around. I hate exercising, I hate sweating, I hate feeling hot.
Euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I wouldn't use the word "love" to describe my feelings about exercise, but I do enjoy it to some extent and I've been rock-solid with it for the past 19 months.

I completely share your feelings about controlling portions and calories. If I had my druthers I'd be eating 5,000 calories every day. Although I do practice moderation and portion control, I haven't fully embraced the idea. I'm sure my attitude is making maintenance more difficult for me, but it would be dishonest for me to say that I feel physically better and more energetic on moderate portions.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphy View Post
No, I'm the other way around. I hate exercising, I hate sweating, I hate feeling hot.
I'm not a swimmer, but maybe swimming might be away around this? I know I did not like the gym, because I don't like being indoors, I don't like being crammed close to other people...I started running (outdoors) and occassionally biking and I couldn't get enough. I need to be outside and well alone for the most part to love exercising lol.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
If I had my druthers I'd be eating 5,000 calories every day....
...it would be dishonest for me to say that I feel physically better and more energetic on moderate portions.

Freelance
Me too, seriously I'm amazed at how much I have to eat to feel satisified. And I notice my energy level suffers at lower calorie amounts (like 1400- 1500)...I don't feel good unless I'm closer to about 2000 cals a day. Fine now, but not when I'm 170 lbs trying to get down to my goal...
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #6  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

i honestly bounce back and forth between loving and hating both aspects. right now i'm loving both, but frequently it's only the eating part that i hate. i feel ya.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #7  
Perpetual Dieter

S/C/G: 191/187/130

Height: 5'2

Sometimes I'm really into my exercise and sometimes I get unmotivated and prefer to focus on food. I find food harder to control though
Kayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #8  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Actually, I can completely relate... Really strict calorie counting tends to burn me out after awhile and I just need a break from it... I still watch what I eat, but I try to be a bit more relaxed and not make myself so crazy with all the tracking of my calories and macro's, etc... But I also incorporate IF into my overall plan so that helps to keep things in check... I too love running and much prefer to focus on that than super strict control of every single calorie I'm eating, so that's what I'm doing now... I've decided to put my focus on getting ready for my next marathon... and I'm sure the rest of the weight that I would like to lose will come off eventually... And I know for me that collecting another "finishers" medal is going to give me a lot more longer lasting satisfaction than seeing my "dream" number on a scale again...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Yeah, dieting stinks. The kicker is that deficit calories mean crappy lackluster workouts and no gains. It's literally impossible to gain strength while eating at a deficit.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Yes absolutely. I can (and have) trained hours daily but I am a crazy you-know-what in a calorie deficit. I love eating. I love cooking. That's all tehre is to it. I am not an emotional eater, I am not a stress eater, I don't have lingering psychological issues, I just love a good bag of potato chips
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'5"

This is me all the way, love exercising, I do at least two gym classes a day. I absolutely hate counting, tracking, and controlling my portions. I'm a food lover and what's more, I love sweets and all thngs junk food! I'm sitting here now dreading the fact that I need to be good because I'm over my goal weight. I'm having so much trouble maintaining my weight, I'm in a serious yo yo session because, I eat too much most days since I made goal. If it were not for my love of exercise I don't know if I could have made it.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #12  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Yes absolutely. I can (and have) trained hours daily but I am a crazy you-know-what in a calorie deficit. I love eating. I love cooking. That's all tehre is to it. I am not an emotional eater, I am not a stress eater, I don't have lingering psychological issues, I just love a good bag of potato chips
Me too! I find eating to be so pleasurable I would chose to eat over nearly any other activity. And yes, I'm aware that's not exactly "normal".

Running has really been growing on me, and I get cranky if it's raining and I can't get out for my run.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I always considered myself an emotional eater but over the years I've noticed and my husband has pointed out that I actually lose my appetite when I'm upset, mad, stress, anxious, frustrated etc. There have been some things that my DH and I have faced (very upsetting events) and he says he wants to eat because of it, where I am too annoyed/worried to eat. If I'm in a generally mellow mood, I do enjoy eating though! I guess I'm like you, I just like to eat!!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

I'm not an emotional eater but sometimes I want to eat and blame the emotions for it, iykwim?? Maybe you are the same
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
Me too! I find eating to be so pleasurable I would chose to eat over nearly any other activity. And yes, I'm aware that's not exactly "normal".

Running has really been growing on me, and I get cranky if it's raining and I can't get out for my run.
Yes, I see eating as a pleasurable activity too. So when I'm "restricting" eating to a certain number of calories/portions etc, I feel like one of my activities is gone. I get alittle...lost.

Now when I started running, I did very much enjoy that, but sometimes eating is way easier to do, with two soon to be three kids I can't just go running when I want, but I certainly can grab a snack pretty easily! lol I find eating a relaxing activity, and I agree, I know that totally not normal!