PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/288/150ish

Height: 5'3"

Default What has really worked for you to lose weight with PCOS??

Hi. I'm new here, and i need some help.

I'm almost 38 years old and almost 300 pounds.

I would really like to make a meaningful change to my way of living to start making that scale reveal some smaller numbers.

I don't know what kind of PCOS i have. I don't think i knew there were different types until i did some reading on this site. I do know that i have extreme excessive facial and body hair; i know that i must have a protein first thing in the morning in order to avoid getting the shakes around 10 am; and i know that calorie counting has really never worked for me. Even though i do sometimes over eat, i regularly take in between 1500 and 2000 calories, which according to every calorie counting plan i've read should have someone as heavy as me losing scads of weight.

So i would like to know what has worked for you. What have you known to work for other women with PCOS? I want to make some meaningful changes, but not the kind that have no hope of working for me.

Any advice?
LuckysWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Hi Luckyswife,

I found that once I stopped drinking sugar in my tea and coffee and stopped having any sugary drinks my shakes stopped. (I didn't really lose weight because of this, even though I expected it ) I feel much better and in control/less cravings so that a huge plus!

Portion control was a biggie for me...especially with carbs. 3-4 servings of bread/rice/starchy veggies only. And what is a portion? 1 slice of bread, 1/2 a bagel, 1/3 cup of rice, 1/2 a potato. Pretty tiny amounts compared to what I was eating.

Good luck! (btw. I'm the same age as you...3 kids...sahm)
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #3  
Calorie and Carb Counter

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

I've been counting both calories and carbs and have lost over 40 pounds since January 15th. I keep my meals under 45g of carbs (3 servings) and snacks under 15g (1 serving). I have diabetes also and this helped my blood sugar levels come down a lot. I still wasn't happy with where they were, so lately I've been trying to limit my meals to 30g of carbs (2 servings).
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #4  

Thank y'all so much for the responses!

Last year i successfully cut out sugar from my coffee and tea by ordering a large supply of stevia powder online and weaning myself off of the sugar flavor. I much prefer the flavor of stevia now, so that is easy. I have been trying to make small changes in my habits for a while now, including taking the emphasis off of carb fillers, and i think that my habits are a lot healthier, but the weight continues to climb.

I have to say that IP freaks me out a little bit, but i do understand the principle, and that's just another sign that carb counting is the right direction.

So....carb counting.....i'll do some googling but does anyone recommend some sort of reference to help me to get started in the right direction?

Is there a certain number of carbs per day that i should aim for?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/158/133

Height: 5 foot 6

Can I suggest something like Rosemary Conley (http://www.rosemaryconley.com/)? I'm not sure how well-known she is in the USA (I'm in England) but I found her low-gi diet to be really beneficial and helpful, as well as simple and easy to folllow. There are diet clubs in the UK that also include an exercise element and low-gi fits in well with PCOS. (I can't post the link for this, but it is called "Rosemary Conley's Low GI Kickstart Diet Food Plan", and is on goodtoknow, I'm sure you can google it). I do a modified version of it now, but much of the advice has stuck with me and is sound and aimed at long-term loss/maintenance. The beauty of this is that she wrote the plans from the perspective of someone who actually did the diet, so the food shopping lists don't contain a whole bunch of expensive things you only use a tiny bit of once and then sit in the fridge for months until you throw them out - she has it arranged so you use everything up that you buy which makes it much cheaper. You can freeze virtually everything you have to cook so you can either plan ahead and cook in advance or save food that you didn't eat up in time. It also involves an element of calorie counting, but the diet plans take a lot of the thinking out of it. It's worth a look!

As well as the above, the major thing that worked for me is EXERCISE. I see all over the place and particularly on here people saying that you can lose all the weight you want by change of diet alone, or even that if you eat at a deficit you have to lose weight at some point, as it is a mathematical/biological certainty. Well, I'm 150% sure that my body could suck the fat out of celery and store it on my thighs. I have issues with bingeing too and I have found that even the weeks when I have moderately binged that I usually maintain as long as I still exercise. I don't extreme exercise either, I follow the standard regulations but it really makes a difference for me. I'm not sure if that is a PCOS thing or just an EskaDee thing, but I thought I would suggest it for you.

Last edited by EskaDee; 06-30-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Link removed
EskaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #6  

Thanks Eskadee; i'll check it out.

I always feel better when i'm exercising - until i injure myself. So i'm looking for a way to stay active without getting too carried away.