Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Default Bought a new scale today

Today I bought a Weight Watchers scale by ConAir. It is digital and measures every 0.2lbs. Up until now I havnt owned a scale but have weighed once a week when I visit my parents. This past week I gained weight while totally off plan because I kept lying to myself and thinking I wasn't eating THAT much so I thought weighing more frequently might be helpful. If nothing else the purchase has made me feel re-engaged with my weight loss goals. I know that weight fluctuates so I'm gonna try not to go crazy. It's gonna be a learning experience while I decide if I want to weigh in every week, a couple times a week, or every day. I think it might be interesting to weigh in every day if I can keep myself from taking fluctuations too seriously. I don't know if I can though so I may go back to once a week but at least now I can check in before I have an entire week of fooling myself.

Have you changed the frequency of your weigh ins part way through your journey? If so how and why?

Thanks.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #2  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

At the beginning of May, I decided to start trying to lose ten pounds a month. At the end of the month, I discovered that I had gained five pounds instead! It was very depressing. I've started running and watching calories, now, but I also started checking out the scale a little more often, jut to make sure I'm on track still.
I know there's people who check their weight everyday, but really I'd suggest once or twice a week, and then waiting even longer in between weigh-ins once you get into a plan. But y'know, do whatever makes you happy.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

Prior weight loss attempts, I didn't weigh daily. However, this time around, I've been a daily weigher since the beginning. I've been maintaining for the last year but still weigh myself daily so I continue to hold myself accountable. I was honest with myself - I gained weight and got as big as I did because I stopped looking at the scale. When I started my journey in May 2011, I hadn't weighed myself at home in a very long time and always tried to look away when weighed at the doctor's office. So for me, weighing daily is more a mental "face the facts" thing than it is curiosity about what I weigh. In maintenance, I tend to fluctuate 3-5 pounds back and forth throughout the month and not much has changed. But I still step on every morning and record my weight so I know I start my day thinking about my journey and what I need to do to stay in maintenance. It's definitely been a lifestyle change.

If you decide to weigh daily, you definitely need to accept that fluctuations are extremely normal. I'm at the point now where I can predict when they'll happen...ate too much salt, it's humid out, TOM, got a sunburn, muscle soreness, ate too much food, ate too many carbs etc, etc. The list is endless because my body is extremely sensitive to water weight gain. Good luck to you!
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I also like weighing every day. I don't really get upset if I have a slight gain because I know that's normal, but if I start eating crappy for a few days, and the scale starts moving up it keeps me from being in denial. Like someone else mentioned, I spent so much time not stepping on a scale, because I wanted to stay in denial. The scale keeps me accountable and keeps me in check.
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #5  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaysofdiets View Post
I was honest with myself - I gained weight and got as big as I did because I stopped looking at the scale. .... So for me, weighing daily is more a mental "face the facts" thing than it is curiosity about what I weigh.
This. So much this. I had lost about 30 lbs after back surgery two years ago--and didn't weigh myself at all while I was gaining it back. I even knew that was what I was doing. If I'd been weighing daily/regularly, perhaps it would have been a wake-up to me.

Having a more precise scale (I got rid of our dial scale and bought a to-the-0.2 electronic scale) actually has helped me--I don't get to "fudge" what the number actually is--it's definitely readable.

So, I'm one who weighs daily right now. I even bought a travel scale so when we're on vacation next week I can still weigh daily. I don't want to come back and face a big gain--it's purpose is to keep me honest and on track.

I don't get too worked up about the numbers, but I've only gone up considerably (more than 1-2 lbs) a few times--and came right back down again. I don't even blink at a .4 or .6 increase--they happen all of the time.

Good luck!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #6  
a healthier me

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3" Age: 42

I weigh daily. I feel this is a way to hold myself more accountable. I want to see the changes, both the positive and the negative. I feel I can learn about my body better this way. I log all my food and exercise through fitbit and each evening write in my weight journal how many steps I went, miles, calories burned, and my calories in. First thing in the morning I weigh myself. If the scale goes up it is up to me to learn why. Did it go up because of adding more muscle (this was true in the beginning), because I have not been exercising enough the past couple days, eating a bit too much, it's my TOM? If it went up because of TOM it's out of my hands and it will go back down. If it went up because I have not been truly honest and diligent with my exercising and/or healthy eating habits, then I need to learn from my mistake and move on.
aspen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I weigh every day but its probably mostly because I also track in an excel spreadsheet and data gaps bug me, lol. It is interesting to see the daily fluctuations and in times of slow losing (right now!) it is motivating to look at my chart and see the line is trending down since I started even if it is relatively flat at the moment.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

I usually weigh every morning and before I go to bed. I don't feel obsessive about it though. What I don't like is surprises. I think if I only weighed once a week, and I had a week that I thought I was doing amazingly well and was expecting a good loss, and then weighed only to find I had no loss, or a gain, I'd be so devastated. That would make me tempted to give up for sure. So I like to know how I'm doing day to day, to manage my expectations. It also helps keep me motivated - I see the scale going down, it helps me stick to being on plan. If I'm 2 days away from my official weigh in day and the numbers are looking good, well I will probably be able to resist that cookie so as not to sabotage that.

Best of luck to you
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I will weigh myself daily in the morning right after getting up, but I only record it it every Monday. I like to know if I'm staying on track, so that's why I check daily, but I like to see an overall loss instead of the little ups and downs, and that's why I only record once a week.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

I'm in the crowd, where if I go too long between weigh-ins, then I am disappointed.

My body stalls for long periods of time before losing any weight (even when I am point on plan) and so I can think I am doing SO well, waiting a week or two to weigh in (in order to really see a loss) and then be totally deflated when it reads exactly the same number it did a couple weeks before.

When I weigh daily, or at least very often, then I see the stalls, but also the whooshes that I do get occasionally.

The reason I do not weigh every single day, is that my sleep patterns are much affected by my job. Usually I have a day or two a week where I don't get off work until 11pm and then have to be back at work at 5am, so it means I rarely get more than 2 or 3 hours sleep those nights.

I will ALWAYS have a bad weight when I lack sleep, and if I get up and see a false bad number, on top of not being rested, it just sets me up for a mentally tough day.

If that were not a factor, and I had a more normal work schedule, then I would weigh everyday and kept it logged better.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote