Old 06-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #1  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Default knee pain...does it go away?

For those of you that have lost a considerable amount of weight, I was wondering if your knee pain has lessened as you grew lighter?

When I exercise this time around, the knee pain is more pronounced than before... I can hear the bone on bone when I walk down or up the stairs. Has anyone else experienced this? Besides water aerobics, what are the best exercises for this?

Last edited by better health3; 06-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees, my right knee being the worst. I also have some problems with my feet and ankles. My pain has decreased significantly since I've lost weight and as a result, my mobility has improved. When I first started my weight loss effort back in January of 2012, I could barely hobble down to the end of my driveway. Now, I can, on a good day, walk a mile. I can also go grocery shopping now without using one of those electric carts. I can go shopping in the mall.

Losing weight hasn't cured my condition. I still have pain and I will still eventually need knee replacements. However, losing weight has slowed down the damage and my doctor tells me it has bought me years of time. I know that my quality of life has certainly improved!

As for exercise, I do enjoy walking. I just have to be careful how much I do. I also have a stationary recumbent bike that really helps. The bike gives my leg muscles quite a workout without the weight on my joints.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Garnet2727; 06-11-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

Yes, definitely. My left knee used to hurt any time I got over 185. Below that, no pain at all.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

My knees got better as I lost the weight. Then they got worse again when I started running. Then they got better again as the weight continued to come off and I kept running. Very strange. But I do watch them to make sure I rest them when they hurt.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #5  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

If you are indeed hearing bone-on-bone you have permanent knee damage and will likely have to have them repaired at some point. The good news is, the more weight you take off, the better your knees will feel. Only a doctor can tell you if you'll ever be pain free.

My orthopedic surgeon told me that for every pound of weight lost it's the equivalent of 5 pounds of pressure taken off your knees.

I have zero cartilage left in my right knee and because of this have had constant pain for 2-3 years. Since I've lost 30+ pounds the last two months my knee is feeling SO much better. It really only hurts now during or after exercise and sometimes in my sleep if I move it into a position that I wouldn't if I were awake. Not fun, but I'll take it over pain 24/7, not to mention limping and putting extra pressure on my other knee. I've been limp free for about 3 weeks now!
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
My knees got better as I lost the weight. Then they got worse again when I started running. Then they got better again as the weight continued to come off and I kept running. Very strange. But I do watch them to make sure I rest them when they hurt.
YES! Exactly the same as Ian!
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

At 278 pounds I was in constant pain. The orthopedic surgeon said I needed knee replacements. I was on medication. As I lost weight it did get better. I stopped medications and only take supplements (glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, HLA, fish oil) and have very little pain now. However I know I had bad damage, severe arthritis, a torn meniscus, and spurs in my knees. I had very little cartilage. So I expect the pain to return if I get more active. Last time I checked, I get pain and noise if I walk more than about 3 miles in a session. So, yeah, losing weight can really help a lot, but to me it is just delaying the surgery I know I will eventually need.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #8  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I had minus problems in both knee's two years apart . I had surgery on both knee's . However , I have no problems at all now. The first bad knee was actually from a fall down some steps. After that my Doctor said I had favored the other knee which caused me problems. I am so thankful everything is great since my surgeries !
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Well, weight loss combined with supplements (glucosamine and chondroitin + fish oil) and proper running shoes (Mizuno 13s for heavy set runners) have all but eliminated my knee pain now. Yippee.

Which is good because I am putting these suckers through a 5K every other day.

Last edited by IanG; 06-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #10  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

Yes! One of the main reasons that I began my journey is because I was beginning to have serious knee problems. They would ache after work for hours, sometimes days. I am a waitress, so I would come home after a shift, sit on my bed and check my email or whatever, and when I'd get back off my bed to do something, my feet and my right knee would be swollen, so I'd have to sort of hobble to my destination. I called it the 'old lady shuffle.'

Once during work, I turned a corner and my knee shifted in its socket. It was the most horrible pain. I was only 27 years old at the time. I'd never done any kind of sports that would have damaged my knee. Never had any injuries. Didn't have any chronic problems, such as arthritis. It was the extra weight hurting me.

Now every once in a while, my knee will twinge after a run, but that's it. No more pain at all. No more old lady shuffle. My body doesn't ache at all after a shift. What a huge difference.
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #11  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

My left knee was horrible. I had bursitis and even walking was painful. We were talking knee replacement and all that jazz...It would swell up and look awful all the time and I used to get cortizone shots into it a few times a year.

Since I got below 180ish lbs (over 2 years now), it hasn't bothered me even once! I'm extremely active... heavy weight lifting, squats, running etc... and it has caused me zero pain!

Last edited by ValRock; 06-24-2013 at 02:28 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

I have knee pain too. Especially my right knee and they both seem much better since starting MSM.
Only Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #13  
Medifast 6/18/13

S/C/G: 255.6/see ticker/155

That is one of the reasons I decided I finally had to do something and lose this weight, I am in constant pain in both knees. I know being fat for so long has caused permanent damage and I hope that as I take weight off surgery will not be needed. I had ACL surgery about 25 years ago and while I know it's an easier recovery now, don't want to do it again !
becksdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #14  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Yes!

I've had ACL replacement in one knee, which led to chondromalacia in the other knee. About 25 pounds down I felt a noticeable difference when taking the stairs.

Now I can run over 3 miles, and my knees are soooo much better than before!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #15  
Medifast 6/18/13

S/C/G: 255.6/see ticker/155

Riddy, that's good to know ! Congratulations, I want to be where you are !!!!
becksdog is offline   Reply With Quote