Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Homemade iced coffee??

One of my favorite parts of summer is iced coffee! However, it seems the only way you can get it aside from making it yourself is at a coffee shop like Starbucks or fast food places, and while that's not necessarily unhealthy depending on what you order, it can get expensive! So, naturally, I want to try making it myself to save $$. Have any of you ever tried this? How did it turn out and what have you found is the best/easiest/quickest way to make it? Do they make iced coffee makers? Tell me your iced coffee secrets!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #2  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Yes! And the best way I have personally found to make it is the cold brewed method. It tastes less bitter that way than hot brewing and pouring over ice.

I simply place about 1 cup of coffee grounds into a container with 4 cups of water and let it sit overnight on the counter. The next morning I drain it all thru a coffee filter (I use the one that came with my coffee maker) and then place it in the fridge.

To make my drink I fill a glass full of ice, fill half way with the concentrated coffee, top it off with one part half n half and one part coffeemate sugar free french vanilla creamer!

Yum!
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #3  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I've made it with those instant coffees. They're usually good for 6-8 oz. of water. Just boil a little water (1 or 2 oz), stir the coffee in, then add cold water. I usually put some almond milk and splenda or sugar in with mine. You can also use sugarfree syrups for a low calorie drink. Pour over ice once you mix everything else together, or you can use a drink shaker.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #4  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I use a Keurig and just make a regular cup of coffee and then pour it in a big tumbler full of ice. I drink it pretty fast before all the ice melts, so it doesn't really get that watered down. Plus, I buy the extra bold coffee.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #5  

I take coffee I made hot, and if I don't drink it all I pour it in a cup and put it in the fridge. The next afternoon, if I want a cold drink I have it with some milk or cream added in. Actually, I sometimes add it to smoothies with yogurt, peanut butter, banana, etc. too.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I have used the method on the link below. I love her posts. Delicious and easy!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Iced_Coffee
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
One of my favorite parts of summer is iced coffee! However, it seems the only way you can get it aside from making it yourself is at a coffee shop like Starbucks or fast food places, and while that's not necessarily unhealthy depending on what you order, it can get expensive! So, naturally, I want to try making it myself to save $$. Have any of you ever tried this? How did it turn out and what have you found is the best/easiest/quickest way to make it? Do they make iced coffee makers? Tell me your iced coffee secrets!
Hi,
I add brown sugar to the ground coffee and water mix before putting in the refrigerator to “brew”. It’s delicious! (and no annoying sugar crystals I make this in a 1 qt jar, so it’s 3/4 cup course ground coffee, 1/4 – 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 quart of water. Thanks for sharing how long it will last. Not knowing how long it would store is why I make small batches.
mscici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I just brew coffee normally then put it in the fridge or freezer depending on how soon I want it. Throw in a couple ice cubes and voila, cheap and easy iced coffee. I like having flavoured syrups with my iced coffee.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200+/147/140

Height: 5'3

I just brew a big pot of strong coffee, drink what I want hot, and put the rest in the fridge for the next day. Pour it over some ice with a bit of milk and a dash of splenda. Yum! Not exactly quick, but tasty.
Coldsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #10  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Another cold-brewed fan here! It's strong but mellow, much of a sweeter taste without any sugar!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #11  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

I've worked in a coffee shop for 100,000 years and experimented there to find my favorite way. I use a french press and brew it extra strong (almost double the grounds). Then I chill it with some ice in a pitcher. I don't like sugar in my coffee, so I just add milk by the glass and sometimes flavor extracts. I only make enough to use within 24 hours, preferably only 8.

I wanna try out the cold brew method.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #12  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
I take coffee I made hot, and if I don't drink it all I pour it in a cup and put it in the fridge. The next afternoon, if I want a cold drink I have it with some milk or cream added in. Actually, I sometimes add it to smoothies with yogurt, peanut butter, banana, etc. too.
How is it--coffee and yogurt or coffee and banana? 'Good and adds sweetness' or 'truly an acquired taste'?!

I like the idea of not using sugar....but....
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I have used the method on the link below. I love her posts. Delicious and easy!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Iced_Coffee
I'm trying this method today. I'll let y'all know how it turns out! I just used Maxwell House dark roast that we already had by the coffee maker, lol. But I'm thinking I might use a better coffee next time. I'm really loving Starbuck's 3 Region blend, and I might pick some up next time I'm in the store after I move. Apparently that's only a seasonal brew though, and that makes me sad!

Last edited by mimsyborogoves; 06-22-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #14  

Veggiedawg, I'm going to say it's an acquired taste and to try at your own risk. If I find it not sweet enough, I throw some shredded coconut in it, or more banana. Or sweetener of your choice.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #15  

Success has been had! I just enjoyed a nice cup of iced coffee concocted with unsweetened almond milk, sugar free maple and chocolate syrup, and a Mini ID hazelnut creamer thingy. It was dericious and under 100 calories! Yay!