Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Different this time...on the road to permanent success

My most recent weight loss journey started with a 'breaking point' moment at the beginning of May.

I have to present at a trade fair once a year. I don't have much occassion otherwise to wear my suit jacket. A couple of days before I realized I could not fit into it. Then a couple of days later I was at a concert and realized I was among the heaviest there.

All of sudden that seemed so absurd. I know I have good mental focus, can accomplish a lot, and was not and am not a particular emotional eater. It was mostly just habit and laziness and inertia (literal and mindset).

So I started using a recumbent bike the day after the concert at least 30 mins EVERY day.

I did that for the month of May. Oddly I was not eating particularly well overall because of a few things. I had the opprotunity to go out to eat lunch more. A new restaurant that is our favorite opened up a mile away from our house.

But I got tremendous energy from the workouts. And I was losing weight despite the inconsistent eating. In June my mom visited until last Friday. I went out A LOT. Including a few really bad ones. But I upped my exercise even more, cardio and strength. Joined the Y with my wife second week of June.

Well this morning I was 268 from 280 on May 1st. The jacket fits easy. I feel just incredible energy from the working out. I am starting to get eating together now. Cutting back to almost zero on the red meat. Going way less on carbs. Went to Carrino's which has great fresh warm bread with olive oil and burnt garlic and had....zero.

My wife and I were lucky enough to adopt our daughter a couple of years ago. She is now 2.5. We had been trying for so long. I am now 47, 48 this month. I will be 60 when she is 15. I am taking care of my uncle who eat way too much red meat and he has memory problems now. His mom, my grandmother lost a leg to diabetes.

Well all of that just came together and the exercise has just been awesome. I am starting to get exercise highs and can't wait to do it each day now. The eating is coming around. My big milestone will be 250 that I am not putting a timeline on. Then downward and downward. I don't want to get too far ahead. But now what seemed impossible not only seems possible but a certanity. The energy feels so good, I can't imagine not continuing this journey for the rest of my life now.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #2  
diamondgeog

Wanted to delete the thread and move it to mini-goals which I didn't see at first....but can only close it not delete the thread....
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 216.8/167.8/150

Height: 5'4

Congratulations on starting the 'get healthy' journey! I know your daughter will be so glad you did. It's awesome that you were able to pass on the bread and olive oil! Keep up the good work
Amy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Those aha moments are the ones that sometimes give us the impetus to change our entire lives. You sound both committed and excited -- a great combo. Congratulations on your success so far!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Keep it up!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #6  
diamondgeog

Thanks for the posts. It is getting easier and easier to make good decisions when eating. And as I posted right now the energy from the everyday cardio is amazing.

Inch wise I am doing great because I think I am putting on more muscle. Pounds are sure to follow but my focus right now is continuing to exercise every day and just continue to replace bad habits with good habits.

I for sure haven't replaced all my bad eating habits but as long as I get better week to week and do things I can live with for the long term I am ok with that.

It really was reaching that breaking point moment I needed. Whereas before it almost seemed impossible to reach goals and get healthy now it seems impossible for me to remain unhealthy.

One of my other goals I am working on is not to weigh everyday. I tend to do that and I know it is better once or twice a week at most.

BTW the goal success stories are great here. One of the things you might not all know is that Huffington Post has a tremendous selection of weight loss success stories. Google it and you will find it.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good for you!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #8  
a healthier me

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3" Age: 42

Good for you! I can hear it through your post that you are in the right frame of mind. You can do this!

Congratulations on the adoption of your little girl!
aspen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #9  
diamondgeog

Being August 1 I thought I would update. My original goal for the end of the year was to be under 250. That would be mentally big for me. Closer to 200 than 300.

On May 1 I was about 282. I am now today 259.6. Primarily exericsing every day. I have even started doing a C25K and completed the first week. And yes, of course, eating better. I still have a huge window to get better with that. But the main thing for me is I am not carb binging anymore. And I have almost no desire for it anymore. You could put ice cream, fries, right in front of me and I would be fine. I was even able to just eat 4 potato chips the other day and walk away. Amazing how fast we lose our cravings.

Well the reason I put 259.6 is this. I am bad, really bad, about weighing too frequently. Well as I closed in on 260 I was weighing every day.

This is how the past few days went: 260.2 260.0 259.8 259.6 talk about slow and STEADY that would be it.

I am right around 1.5 lbs a week. That would be around 80lbs in a year. Which would be AWESOME.

I don't want to think beyond 250 and really beyond 220. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I now even dare to dream of Onderland.

Well downward and downward.