Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat June 10 - June 16

I'm walking around feeling like Noah must have felt when the rains finally ended. The excavated hole for construction next door is still full of water - presumably we have slow perk soil around here.

Sending supportive thoughts to neurodoc for finding a path through the family dynamics of a teenage son. BTDT. The only solace I can offer is that my adult son now phones me ("the world's dumbest human being") to find out how to install a dimmer switch and repair a leaking sink.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all.

We had a beautiful sunny and warm day here yesterday and I managed to get some much needed gardening done.

Got a couple more bad (potentially) pieces of news yesteday and today. I knew about one (DH is depressed and confirmed it yesterday) and kinda suspected the second would eventually happen (banning of commercial dogwalkers from Toronto off leash areas). I'm not entirely sure what that means yet but have asked people to look into it and get back to me.

In the past I would have set off the alarms and run around in a panic all day. Perhaps I truly AM getting older (definitely) and wiser (maybe).

This is pretty good for first thing Monday (and I had a smaller coffee this morning too!).

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

No complaints about the rain here - it's been at least a week for us and we were seriously due for a drink! Everything was covered in yellow pollen and needed a good rinse.

I'm chuckling a little at DS13 - he has finals this week, but because his school is off-synch to the local system, he starts summer swim practice tonight. Fortunately, he gets a break on Wednesday for "graduation". He needs a jacket and tie for the event, so I hauled him out to Men's Wearhouse. And learned that this gangly creature can wear a regular 36, and looks scary good in a well-fitted jacket! He knew it too, which is scarier yet. He demanded I take him for a haircut immediately afterward. Look out, high school ...

I'm getting used to the idea of Grandma in hospice; I was able to discuss the details with DH on Sunday without bawling. I need to go see her today or tomorrow, because I figured out what I want to say to her. The executive summary is that she has always set a supremely high bar for behavior and etiquette. In any given situation, I could always ask myself "What would Grandma do?" and come up with something concrete that kept me out of trouble. I want to thank her for that.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #4  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

TS Andrea passed by us on Thursday, giving us much-needed rain and no other damage. My tomato plants are very happy now. I'm glad it didn't cause any problems for you, Saef, or anyone else. We needed the rain so badly I won't even complain about getting myself soaked the whole day. Otherwise same old, same old here. Too busy at work and trying to keep a balance of all the usual chores, workouts, etc at home.

I've definitely fallen into my summer cooking (or lack of) pattern and am using more convenience foods, but I'm trying to take advantage of healthier prepackaged stuff and not give into the unhealthy prepared meals. I do eat a fair amount of chicken sausage, Jenni-O turkey burgers, scrambled eggs, pre-peeled shrimp and the like this time of year (I do eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken breasts that I cook in bulk but am just burnt out right now), along with tons of salads, fresh veggies and fruit. Anyone have quick easy dinner suggestions?

Jessica, how are the girls? Did Allison get to come home this weekend?

Becky, I'm sure DS's height will help him with swimming! Funny about teenage vanity. Does he have a GF yet? for you & your grandma.

Dagmar, how is your thumb? Having taken way too many biology classes in my time I'm very paranoid about antibiotic resistance, superbugs, and the like. I refuse to by antibacterial hand soap (regular soap and proper washing technique are fine!), and I won't even buy triple antibiotic cream, just single. My BIL is the type who literally keeps hand sanitizer in every room and it makes me want to sneak my niece outside and feed her spoonfuls of dirt to build up her immune system. Not literally of course, but you get the idea, lol.

I don't understand the dog walking thing. I've always thought dog owners are a very supportive community, and as someone with a very active dog, I am sympathetic to others who also have very active dogs and spend a lot of their time walking the dogs, looking for places to let the dogs run freely, etc. What is the reasoning to keeping commerical dog walkers out? If I lived near you, I'd totally be trying to make doggie playdates with you and the dogs, not keep you away!

Have a good week all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm so envious of everyone's rain! Yesterday we had a day of high, thin clouds that did nothing but bring humidity so that we were unable to use our evaporative cooler. Regular AC has been on since Friday and that's just so expensive! Thank goodness for our solar panels, but the more we use AC, the more I know we'll have a bill come March. The first year of our solar our bill was $16. The second year it was over $1000. Granted that is for a whole year, and it is a whole lot less than $1000 a month which we would normally see in the summer (winters are around $400 a month). I shouldn't complain!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Allison. it was hot in Northern Cali, too. Over 100 degrees both Friday and Saturday,. We don't get bothered too much with high humidity here, though, so that is a blessing. My AC has been running a lot the last few days.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #7  

Default dog rant

Megan I hear you on the hand sanitizer. I only use the stuff to put on any nick or ding a dog or I get while out with me. And I'm sure most of my guys would love to play with Emma.

We do have a problem with some commercial dogwalkers bringing in large packs of dogs and then ignoring the dogs. They stand around and chat, mostly with other dogwalkers, and their combined packs can seem rather daunting to any dog owner bringing in one dog. I don't know how Emma would react to having 12 -14 big dogs running at her as she entered the off leash.

There are all sorts of other problems as well, like not picking up p**p, not even attempting to control excessive barking or other bad behaviours, and one walker yells obscenities at anyone who tries to control her dogs when they swarm and hump a single dog. I have had her F-bomb me on many occasions when I peel her hyper boxers off my submissive golden. She likes to get right up close and yell in my face so I can smell her cigarette and coffee breath. quite the charmer!

I wish the public would see the "good" walkers who also use the off leash. But sadly their perception of "commercial dogwalker" is largely based on the "bad" ones.

Dagmar
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Survived my week. Now starting another one. Whew. One day at a time is all I have right now.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon, I've cut your grass, virtually - with our shared push mower. Ours was knee-high. Yours was a bit easier.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Thanks Birchie!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #11  

Silverbirch Could I schedule my lawns (I will have 4 soon) for the virtual clipping with your mower? You should have tremendous arm and upper body strength by the end of the summer that way.

Dagmar
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #12  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

{teeth sucking} Four lawns!!

OK, I'll see if I can fit you in as you did come recommended!

I actually felt it in my tummy. I think it's because my abs need more work and also because the grass was so out-of-control. May was very busy here, and it was warm and wet enough for everything to grow enthusiastically. Flowering was held back by the cold weather, though, and it's all happening at the same time. Quite lovely.

What does your new garden look like?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I checked my garden this weekend and everything seems to be growing BEAUTIFULLY! Including the weeds

So who's in to virtually help me weed the whole thing? There may be some fresh veggies for you in a month or so if you help out!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I like weeding, Jen - I'll help! Lawn mowing isn't so bad with a gin and tonic in the cupholder; I almost miss it. Not quite.

dagmar, my favorite technique for ***hats like the one you ran into is to go old school on them - take a deep breath, stick out your tongue, and spray the longest, loudest raspberry you can make right back in their face. If nothing else, it keeps them at a distance after that. Or simply ask, "What the **** happened in your life that makes you such a total (descriptive word of your choice)?" Laughing and taking a picture "for FB" is another option.

Finally, some sun! Looks like it will be a beautiful day - wishing the same for all of you!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
{teeth sucking} Four lawns!!

OK, I'll see if I can fit you in as you did come recommended!

I actually felt it in my tummy. I think it's because my abs need more work and also because the grass was so out-of-control. May was very busy here, and it was warm and wet enough for everything to grow enthusiastically. Flowering was held back by the cold weather, though, and it's all happening at the same time. Quite lovely.

What does your new garden look like?
The back garden is amazing. The owner of the house included all the plants in a list of things that came with the house and the garden reflects her care and love of gardening. I am really aware that I am inheriting something that is very special to her and that she lavished a great deal of time on.

That said I am a rather slapdash gardener and I am away a lot on dog sits. So i will be looking at the budget to see if I can hire the people who fixed up my dad's garden to help me with this one. I will do what I can.

DH will do the physical mowing, as he does here. I think your virtual help will be a good motivator for him.

Dagmar