Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/226.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Hungry and Headachey? Advice?

I've been on Weight Watchers for a couple weeks now and from the beginning I've felt hungry all. the. time. To the point of getting headaches and feeling light-headed. Does anyone else experience this?

I get 38 points+ per day, and have been dipping into my WPA and activity points every day. I'm afraid of doing this though because I'm afraid it'll sabotage my weight loss... but clearly I need more food! I thought you were supposed to feel satisfied with your daily points allotment, and then the WPA and AP's just be bonus?

I eat about 5 times per day, as eating every few hours seems to fit me best, and try to fill in with low point snacks and 0 point fruits and veggies, but can't seem to stop being hungry and light-headed. What am I doing wrong?? Any advice is very much appreciated!
dumpling99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I followed an older plan several times in the past and always ended up the same way.....starving, REAL hunger, All The Time, and dipping into other points nearly every day...it was a willpower battle every day to stay without my allotted points and I eventually quit WW both times....once I managed it for a couple months and once I only lasted a week because of the hunger

I wish I had some tricks for getting past the hunger....I tried eating more "free point" food, I tried ignoring it, I tried liquids etc....I'm an experienced "dieter" so I tried everything and I was dealing with REAL hunger constantly so I transitioned to calorie counting again which leaves me less hungry

ETA: If anyone has tips or tricks beyond this, I'd like to know because I WAS successful on WW...I just couldn't deal with the constant hunger

Last edited by alaskanlaughter; 06-09-2013 at 09:03 PM.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I suffered from this a bit at the start until I found a "routine" that worked for me. I get 32 pts+ per day. I found that not eating so much for one of my meals allowed me to eat more for the other two, which gives me a more full and satisfied feeling.

For example:

My breakfast is usually my lowest pt value meal. I've never been a big breakfast eater, so I'm okay eating a banana and a 2pt Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. Occasionally I'll make coffee with 2 tablespoons of creamer for 2 pts, but now that it's summer I can do without the coffee most days.

My lunch is usually my highest pt value for the day. It's usually about 6-8 oz of chicken for 6-8pts, steamfresh veggies/salad for 0pts, and 1/2 cup rice pilaf for 4 pts. Or sometimes this is where I'll make my "breakfast" meal, which is 2 eggs scrambled for 5 pts, 1 whole wheat wrap for 3 pts, 3 pre-cooked bacon strips for 2 pts and a pinch of fat free cheese for 1 pts...all wrapped together this makes for a tasty breakfast wrap that holds me over.

I try to keep dinner around the 8-10 pts range...it varies by whatever I'd made during the day.

This method leaves me with about 8 or so pts for snacks and wiggle room. I keep the FiberOne 90 calorie brownies (2pts), travel size beef jerky (2pts...I found this at Sams Club, and I buy it in bulk. The protein can really hold you over for longer periods of time), and a box of assorted Skinny Cow (3-4 pts each) treats. I find that having these on hand, as well as fresh fruit and veggies, make it easier to stay within my points and feel fuller.

I'm not sure if that helps or not...I just know that is what worked for me
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I have never actually felt "hungry"'on WW, however I do get headaches, and I do get thirsty, which can sometimes feel like hunger.

Drinking a lot more water than you think you should, helps, a lot. If I actually am hungry, like around lunch, and it's not time for lunch yet, I drink a big lass if water relatively quickly. Hunger gone for about 45 minutes.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

when I calculated my points in Momentum for my weight, I only get about 25-26 points per day which is what makes it difficult for me, I think.....if I had 30-some points like you guys I think it would be easier for me

but then I read that a person weighing 145 on here also had 25 momentum points...while I weigh 180 and get 25 momentum points....what's up with that?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
when I calculated my points in Momentum for my weight, I only get about 25-26 points per day which is what makes it difficult for me, I think.....if I had 30-some points like you guys I think it would be easier for me

but then I read that a person weighing 145 on here also had 25 momentum points...while I weigh 180 and get 25 momentum points....what's up with that?
Well obviously if you had 30 something points like "some if us" it would be "easier" for you. But you would be getting fatter, and not losing weight. What makes ou think that our 30something points are easier for us to stick to than your 20 something?

You may be a bit hungry at first. I wasn't. Drink water, lots and lots of water.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylioness View Post
Well obviously if you had 30 something points like "some if us" it would be "easier" for you. But you would be getting fatter, and not losing weight. What makes ou think that our 30something points are easier for us to stick to than your 20 something?

You may be a bit hungry at first. I wasn't. Drink water, lots and lots of water.
wow did I hit a nerve or something? LMAO!! I didn't say it would be easier for you to stick with....huh??....I was curious about why the points are the same for someone weighing 180 as opposed to someone weighing 145...which you know because you read my whole post....right?? LOL!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:

I'm not as familiar with momentum, since I started on the points plus. From my understanding, the point value of a lot of the foods is lower, but so is your total for the day. Also, I'm seeing the points can go very low...like 22. Perhaps for the other person 25 pts was their maintenance level? (just kinda thinking out loud on that one)

Have you tried the points plus method? I know my grandma had been on the momentum plan, and had a rough couple of months when she first switched. But she enjoys the points plus method more now because she feels she can eat more (she eats lots of veggies and fruit).

Also, I do find more water helps, but there are times where it is the real hunger that won't go away with liquid. I really recommend anything with higher protein/fiber...they digest slower, and help you feel full longer. I'm eating a lot more chicken and whole grains, and I think that really helps in curbing those hanger pangs.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #9  
OMW to a brand new me!

Quote:
wow did I hit a nerve or something? LMAO!! I didn't say it would be easier for you to stick with....huh??....I was curious about why the points are the same for someone weighing 180 as opposed to someone weighing 145...which you know because you read my whole post....right?? LOL!
No, you didn't hit a nerve. The way you prefaced your actual question was by saying that it would not be as difficult for you if ou had more points like some of us on here. Which implies that because some people have more
Points it must be easier for them. My question to you was, why would their or our 30 something points be any less difficult at times to stick with than your 20 something? Your initial statement, came across in all fairness a bit rude, and somewhat condescending.

Now because this is the Internet and we do not have the benefit of "face time", an the ability to see expressions and hear voice inflections, thereby removing the normal "non verbal" cues that we would generally use to make a determination regarding rudeness or intent, I will apologize if your statement was just that, a statement.

As for your actual question, perhaps their height, age, or any other factor that WW asks about is different than yours. Or perhaps as someone else said those points were their maintainence level points, or maybe they are on Points Plus? There could be any number of reasons why someone has more than you.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/240/145

Height: 5'5

I've been having some issues with hunger as well, it's not a constant hunger but typically in the evening, sometimes even after I've had dinner I get really really bad hunger cravings. I just figure it's my body adjusting to the way WW is set up (I'm only a few days in). I will try the just drinking a glass of water trick to see if it helps any!

- Sydney
SimplySydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

Momentum is a completely different plan, so when you are here reading in the main forum, we're on Points Plus. The plan gives more points, but most food values also have higher points. Likewise, if you eat a points plus recipe that has, say 7 points - it may be 5-6 points if calculated for momentum. So you will definitely feel hungry if you are mixing plans. Here is the Momentum forum if you have any questions about that plan: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/momentum-flex-222/

Quote:

Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #12  
WW Moderator

For those of you feeling hungry, please post some daily menus of what you have been eating so we can help.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 231/226.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's an example of a typical day of eating for me. I drink a ton of water throughout the day, too.

Breakfast:
baked oatmeal with blueberries and a splash of milk 6pts+
grapefruit 0pts+
hot tea with stevia 0pts+

Snack:
yogurt 2pts+

Lunch: (this varies, but the past few days it has been:
homemade southwest turkey burger 5pts+
whole wheat sandwich thin 2pts+
spinach and tomato salad with 2 TB dressing 2pts+

Snack
kashi bar 4pts+

Dinner (also varies... usually between 10-15 pts)
always consists of some kind of protein, veggie, and whole grain

Dessert
chia pudding or fruit smoothie 2pts+

I usually start feeling persistently hungry around 3pm. Then headaches start later in the evening, maybe an hour after dinner. No matter what I eat, I can't seem to stay satisfied. Maybe I'm not distributing my points well enough throughout my day, or not eating enough protein? Or maybe it's psychological, since my body is used to consuming a ton of simple carbs and sugars?
dumpling99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #14  
OMW to a brand new me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling99 View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

Here's an example of a typical day of eating for me. I drink a ton of water throughout the day, too.

Breakfast:
baked oatmeal with blueberries and a splash of milk 6pts+
grapefruit 0pts+
hot tea with stevia 0pts+

Snack:
yogurt 2pts+

Lunch: (this varies, but the past few days it has been:
homemade southwest turkey burger 5pts+
whole wheat sandwich thin 2pts+
spinach and tomato salad with 2 TB dressing 2pts+

Snack
kashi bar 4pts+

Dinner (also varies... usually between 10-15 pts)
always consists of some kind of protein, veggie, and whole grain

Dessert
chia pudding or fruit smoothie 2pts+

I usually start feeling persistently hungry around 3pm. Then headaches start later in the evening, maybe an hour after dinner. No matter what I eat, I can't seem to stay satisfied. Maybe I'm not distributing my points well enough throughout my day, or not eating enough protein? Or maybe it's psychological, since my body is used to consuming a ton of simple carbs and sugars?
Your menu looks similar to mine as far as the break down and distribution of points.

I am willing to bet that if you look at your old eating habits, you probably grabbed something for "energy" around 3pm. If you were like me, it was nothing good for you!

The headaches are probably because of the carbs and sugars that you are not eating! Add more water, and maybe when you feel hungry, get your heart pumping a little bit.

I have had to change my work out schedule to evenings before dinner because of my husbands work schedule (he has recently decided he wanted to "gym it" with me). I find after a nice hot workout, I am not hungry. I have to actually force myself to eat something, and its never heavy. So maybe if when you get hungry at 3, grab some hummus (2pts) and celery (0 points) and take a lap around the parking lot (if you are at work) or if you are at home take a brisk short walk around the neighborhood. Whatever you can fit in, not a lot, just enough to get your heart rate up.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 216/ticker/164

Height: 5'8"

Lazylioness is probably right - I had this at the very beginning (I am still basically a beginner, btw, so maybe don't listen to me?) but found that it went away as my body got used to having less sugar and carbs.

Oh also - I now eat a SUBSTANTIAL snack around 3:30 because it keeps me feeling mostly okay until dinner. I used to have that 3pm problem too. I get 33 points and I eat a 3-point snack around 10:30 in the morning but my afternoon snack is definitely over 5 points every day. I eat a low-ish point lunch (6ish) but include some veggies and also a fruit serving and then I'm okay until that afternoon snack. Today the snack was actually bigger than my lunch. Play around with your points until you're comfortable.

You'll figure out what works best for you! I hope you stick with it.
robotfingers is offline   Reply With Quote