Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8"

Talking My New Addiction

Cabbage.

Yes....you heard me right....Cabbage is my new addiction. Stop screwing up your face in a doubtful scorn and just read on for a moment....
It started a couple of weeks ago when my brother brought over some pulled pork and cabbage wedges he had made on the grill for me and my kids for dinner (He's awesome that way I have always liked the cabbage he prepares this way, but honestly...PRE-Diet...I would zone in more on the delicious baked beans and French bread slices that would normally accompany such meals to REALLY appreciate the beauty of this cabbage dish. It takes on the grilled smoky deliciousness that is also lent to the meat he prepares and it's lip smacking good. I tried to make this dish myself in the oven....and...well...it wasn't bad but it just wasn't my brother's dish either.

Another thing to mention here is that in the oven...it takes about 3hrs to cook....and if it's not a weekend meal I just don't have that kinda time on my hands. So I began to try cooking it on the stop top. No, not the tired old boiled cabbage that comes to mind, but in a skillet. It has taken a few times of trial and error but I think I have FINALLY found MY cabbage niche. I haven't taken the time to measure things out but roughly I put 1/4 C low sodium chicken broth in a skillet with 2 TBSP Butter...add about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of chopped cabbage. I add a little salt, pepper, cumin, onion powder and sometimes a little cayenne pepper. I let this cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, then I add two chopped green onions and about 1TBSP of real bacon bits. I cook for another 5-10 minutes until it is starting to become translucent. During the cook time, if it looks a little dry, I add a splash more of chicken stock to keep it from burning. I can not begin to impart how yummy a treat this has been to add to my standard "meat and salad" dinner. I have had it nightly for a week and even found myself GOOGLING "is cabbage really good for you" because I feel like I MUST be doing something BAD...it tastes that good.

This afternoon, for lunch, I made the kids breakfast burrito's (homemade)... and I usually make myself an omelet with a handful of spinach.... Today, though....I made my cabbage concoction (only using half as much of everything) right at the end of the cook time, I added my handful of spinach to wilt down and I must say.... WOW .... was it a tasty omelet.
So...there you have it...my new secret (and now not so secret) addiction. Cabbage. Give it a try. I honestly believe you will not regret it.
chunkychick321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #2  

I'm in love with roasted cabbage!!! Little bit of pam, some S&P and 40 minutes later I'm in heaven!! Who knew I'd be craving cabbage on my diet? Not me!! But it's sooooo good!

I'm going to try your ways of making it too, thanks for sharing!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

You're not alone. I've always loved cabbage in just about any form including sauerkraut. I've always been OK with eating veggies, but in the past 4 months, I've gotten to where I love them -- mainly because I've learned to prepare them in ways to enhance their flavors and trying many new recipes.

My favorite right now? Cucumber and onion salad. It only has 17 calories for a cup and I have always loved this salad. Between the spring onions coming in and lots of cukes available, I've been having this every day. Yum!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I love cabbage, too. I just slice it really thin and use it instead of lettuce in salad. Yum!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8"

Thanks ladies for all your replies. I would love to share favorite veggie recipes if you all have the time. For instance...what goes in an onion and cucumber salad besides onion and cucumbers I would love to try it. I am looking to expand my Veggie Horizon as much as possible. Staying on track is SO much easier when I am able to feel like I am REALLY eating and being satisfied.
chunkychick321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #6  
Procrastinator

S/C/G: 161/151.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Mmmm!! That sounds amazing!! Thanks for sharing - i'm a cabbage lover too!
MadKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #7  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

You asked for our favorite recipes...

I love sauteed yellow squash and onions. Just thinly slice a couple of yellow squash and a white or yellow onion and saute in a dab of olive oil in a nonstick skillet - you may cover it to help it steam. Let it cook over medium so the onion doesn't brown too much. When everything is getting translucent, sprinkle with a just a teaspoon of sugar or splenda and salt & fresh ground black pepper. YUM!

I also like oven roasted broccoli or cauliflower -- just tossed in olive oil and salt & pepper and roasted on a sheet pan. But, it's quickly getting too hot around here to keep the oven on for that long of a time frame.

I love cabbage, too. I make a coleslaw with a vinaigrette dressing and chopped apple that's really good and cool on a hot day.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I thought of this thread today as I made a hot & sour slaw. Easy & delicious!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #9  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

I love using our cast iron skillet to brown it sometimes
w/other veggies like mini bell peppers and/or brocolli,
cauliflower and some nice spices like ginger/curry/garlic.
It is filling and nutritious. I sort of ditched my salads due
to my habit of syrup, err dressing and this cabbage dish
is pretty yummy.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote