Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat June 3 - June 9

This wearing shorts all day is just super. We had dinner on the patio with DW's garden about peak - just heaven, or like in the garden of Eden or sumpn'. We didn't break 100 degrees F this week, but came close.

Unfortunately, heat provides a good excuse to avoid walking so I've got to bite the bullet and just go out.

Welcome home Dagmar - that was one looooong dog sit.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Bill! Yes it was a long haul. I think once a year this will be the norm for these clients - they are now both senior executive level in their respective fields and can take longer vacations.

I did lose 2 lbs. while there - the result of reading in the evening, rather than watching TV and snacking. :

Glad you are able to wear shorts Bill - I am back to 3 layers today . Summer has apparently forgotten where Canada is.

Good week all - my gosh is it JUNE?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Our weather was apparently more like Bill's than yours, Dagmar. The Columbus Circle neighborhood was sweltering on Saturday, and I was grateful to duck into an air-conditioned movie theater to catch a French film, "Augustine." Even the backs of my hands were slick with sweat.

Oh, and it seems that this summer, I'm supposed to buy a straw fedora with a wide black grosgrain hatband. I can't believe how many women walked past me wearing one of these. There was even a street vendor selling them, but I don't think he was everyone's source.

At least no problem picking up a healthy snack on the run -- there were plenty of street vendors selling fruit, and I relished my small bag of cherries in the dark theater.

It's time to think of abandoning the city on weekends and fleeing Upstate instead.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #4  

saef Since DH decided to take the ultimate "suburban" step (for us anyway) and got us memberships in Costco we have been eating frozen berries and cherries. It's hard to get any kind of good cherries up here and I'm finding the frozen ones, partially thawed, to be the perfect evening snack. I'm glad you were able to find and enjoy yours.

DH and I tend to eat popcorn and drink diet cola at the movies. It's a "treat" evening for us and somehow, when we smuggled in our own drinks and pretzels, it diminished that sense of a special evening for us. I'm finding I can't finish a small popcorn now, although I have no problem guzzling a large cup of diet cola.

Dagmar
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Careful with those berries, Dagmar. The ones at our Costco were (just last week) recalled due to them being tainted with hepatitis A.

We went to see Mud yesterday. Excellent movie.

It's just plain hot here. I don't think we've hit 110 yet, but we were close this weekend. So far, no golf on weekend mornings as we just can't bear it and we had too many other chores to do. DH spent two mornings on the roof--one to clean off all the solar panels (he does this at least 4 times a year) and once to clear debris from our roof drains and to cut some branches from trees hitting the house. I bathed the dogs and ran errands.

I started reading Inferno yesterday. Good book so far--a page turner at least.

And I've managed to get on the treadmill 7 of the past 8 days (took Friday off). Someone on another thread said she loved to read and hated to exercise so she made a pact with herself--she could only read on the treadmill. While I can't imagine sweating it out for my usual 2 hour reading spree, I have been taking my Kindle onto the treadmill instead of watching TV or listening to my ipod. The time does fly!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hello maintainers,

I'm back to my "normal" weight after overindulging EXCESSIVELY this weekend. I drank to intoxication for the first time and ate unreasonable amounts of poutine to calm my stomach Saturday night at 1 AM. Sunday was brunch with friends and we stopped at the Texas Roadhouse in Plattsburgh on the way home after being detained and searched at the border for an hour - hoooooly mooooly, their BREAD!

Back to normal today kinda. I represented my organization at our state Assembly's Legislative Disabilities Awareness Day from 10-2 today and had some floppy not-great roast beef sandwich. The cookies were shouting for my attention but I ignored their cries.

Landlord is in town, has offered to take us out to dinner tonight. He wants to move in and be our 3rd roommate and we don't want that, so the awkward "if you move in we're going to move out" talk needs to be had. Not looking forward to it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi all!

Went out for lunch for my birthday today and excessively over-indulged, but I'm okay with that.

Then it was off to see the new Star Trek movie.

So far a low key and pretty cool day.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Jen! Hope you are having the best day, it's PERFECT weather for celebrating
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy birthday Jen!

I'm still in Houston with dd. Today she rented an apartment! It's quite close to her school which we really appreciated when we got stuck in traffic for an hour this evening. Tomorrow we are looking at cars in the afternoon. The rest of the day will be spent getting pedicures with my BFF (we've been best friends since high school!), going to the gym, and getting sushi for dinner. That's the plan anyway!

It's weird to miss work for a week but I'm thankful I can help her. She's working on her thesis now as I snuggle with her service dog!

Forgot to mention that two of the apartment complexes we visited thought I was dd's friend, not her mom! Pretty cool!

Last edited by traveling michele; 06-03-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #10  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

First watermelon of the summer today. Delicious, but I didn't realize until after I'd eaten it that it's nearly 50 calories per cup, and a cup is "hardly nuthin" where watermelon is concerned - I ate about 3 before I blinked.

Alinnell, nearly 110? That's unholy hot. I thought So Cal had the perfect weather? Or is that just San Diego and LA?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Jen! Hope you are having the best day, it's PERFECT weather for celebrating
Woman are you NUTS? It was freezing cold today!!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Happy birthday, Jen! We saw "Into Darkness" for my birthday, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Happy birthday, Jen! We saw "Into Darkness" for my birthday, too.

What did you think of the movie Shannon?

Dagmar
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #14  

Still not shorts wearing weather here - it's currently 8 degrees outside and my two cats want the heat back on please.

DH and I are attending an event at the request of his boss tonite. It's a benefit event for an organization that his boss has done work for so she was kinda suckered into buying a "table". It's actually a reception, silent auction, and silent movie screening.

DH's boss is showing up at the last minute and expects him to arrive earlier and "work the room" . DH is not a social person and this is making him really nervous as is the fact that it will be all wealthy socialite type people and we are "service". We don't have the appropriate wardrobe, haircuts, manis. etc. etc. so it will be really awkward.

DH is already angry about it (as he is about returning to work for this woman full time yet again) and I will hear a long tirade on the ride home tonite. He will also have the whole day to stew about it so I may hear a long tirade on the way down there tonite too. He didn't sleep well last night so that will add an extra layer of cranky to everything.

My suggestion last night was that we also have dinner at home, show up just before the movie, and I will make apologies and excuses for not showing up earlier. I do have an elderly client in crisis mode so can use that, although I'm looking after her very elderly dog, not her. DH did not answer back so I have no idea or plan.

I am going to say all of this to him this morning. I will show up a bit earlier and stand around feeling stupid if he demands that I do so but I think my plan is better.

Tonite I will enjoy the movie and I will make myself stay away from much of the reception buffet as it will probably mostly be snacky type foods.

I'm going to enjoy the cold day with the dogs as much as I can as I know what's coming tonite. DH and I have been through this scenario many many times. What's different this time is that I will speak up this morning, rather than stewing about it and feeling anxious all day.

Dagmar
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEN !!!!!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote