Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #1  

Default NES problem

Night eating syndrome

Does anyone else suffer from this , i dont know what do do to stop it
Stuartsdiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/222/180

Height: 5'9"

Whoa! What exactly is this "Night Eating Syndrome"?? Because I am pretty sure I have it! Ever since my last daughter was born (almost 12 years ago), I find myself up in the middle of the night, sometimes several times each night, eating almost anything I can get my hands on. Sometimes really weird things- although no non-food items, thank goodness. (I have heard of people eating things that aren't exactly edible.) It's like there's no thought process going on when this happens so it's nearly impossible to stop myself. The only thing I've found that helps (other than drinking too much alcohol before bed, which I am not recommending) is moderate-heavy exercise. When I am very physically active during the day, usually I will not get up during the night.
shannonde94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #3  

P.S. I have posted questions about this before- on another board- but no one seemed to have any clue what I was talking about.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #4  

search it on google and you will find a wiki page about the disorder

I think you have the exact same as me
Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartsdiet1 View Post
search it on google and you will find a wiki page about the disorder

I think you have the exact same as me
Thanks. I'm gonna check it out right now.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231/228/175

My boyfriend does this. It's like he is in a stupor - he doesn't know what he is doing. Sometimes he has woken me up slamming cabinet doors shut - looking for something to eat. You are not alone!
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonde94 View Post
Whoa! What exactly is this "Night Eating Syndrome"?? Because I am pretty sure I have it! Ever since my last daughter was born (almost 12 years ago), I find myself up in the middle of the night, sometimes several times each night, eating almost anything I can get my hands on. Sometimes really weird things- although no non-food items, thank goodness. (I have heard of people eating things that aren't exactly edible.) It's like there's no thought process going on when this happens so it's nearly impossible to stop myself. The only thing I've found that helps (other than drinking too much alcohol before bed, which I am not recommending) is moderate-heavy exercise. When I am very physically active during the day, usually I will not get up during the night.
Exactly my thoughts.
I know that food addiction is real, and I do believe I have it, but to call it a syndrome is taking it a bit far.
Thats not a jab at the OP, I'm just saying.

Sure I eat at night. Grab a snack or too, but I'm fully aware and awake every time I do as I think most if not all other people are.

This thing called "sleep eating" is just not right or real. Sleep walking is legit. Sleep eating not legit. Anytime you grab a bit to eat you are legit awake.

Just my 2 cents.
Ijustcant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #8  

I am awake when i do it , the pattern usually goes like this , go to bed , sleep up to 2 hours , get up eat something , can be anything , sometimes ill awake several times a night and start eating , im always aware of what i am doing when i eat. Its sometimes the only thing i can do to get back to sleep.

The official name of the disorder is as mentioned , you can find it on wiki , why does the name bother you ? Just interested to know