Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #1  

Default Desperately need to restart my motivation.

Hello,
I am new to the forum and desperately need help. I have lost and gained so much weight in my life and am on an upward trend right now and can't seem to get back on the right track. I have lost 40# and have gained 10 of those back recently. My eating is currently really out of control.
I would appreciate any help and encouragement. I really need it right now. Have done low carb and counted calories, but am at a loss what to do now to really get motivated again.
I start my days with good intentions, but then just blow it.
Thanks
shabbyvintagelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

You just have to stay very focused. Even though this time around the weight has been coming off slowly, I'm seeing massive changes in my body and now I push people...hard. If you want it bad enough you will make it work, and while some people don't want to hear it, it's exactly what I needed to stay motivated. Do whatever you can. Save pictures in your phone, take your free time and go online and find workouts or healthy recipes for you to eat. The best part is, you have started. Just think 5 months from now you'll be happy you started when you did! It never gets easier, but you will get there! Counting calories is a step in the right direction. You will get there!
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #3  

Here are some tips that may help:

1) If you're bringing tempting foods into your house, stop. Do not buy them. White knuckle it through the grocery store even if it almost kills you, but do not bring it in the house.

2) Try something completely different. You say you've tried low carb and calorie counting. If that isn't working for you now, try another plan. It doesn't mean you have to stick with it for life; maybe it's only to get you through this rough patch.

3) Try something new for exercise, too.

4) Make a list of activities you enjoy doing that do not involve food (talking to friends on the phone, surfing the net, reading, etc.). When you get the urge to eat, take out the list and do something on it---even if you have to leave the house to do it (e.g., go to the library to read or surf the net in the library).

Most of us have been exactly where you are not, and we know it's tough. Good luck to you!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbyvintagelady View Post
I start my days with good intentions, but then just blow it.
This resonated with me. I failed so many times before because I would tell myself to "be healthy" without giving myself guidelines. I need some kind of portion control and I prefer to keep my carbs lower, but mainly calorie count.

In order to give myself structure and some idea, I just plan ahead of time, and I even cook ahead of time and freeze into portions.

For example I literally sit and write down my day before it starts. Here is an example:

B: Bread Round (100), 2 turkey bacon (50), spinach (5), 15g TJ Roasted Red Pepper spread (15) = 170
S: Med Banana (100) = 100
L: Carrot peanut soup (159) = 159
S: Baby carrots/cherry tomatoes w/light ranch = 130
D: High fiber tortilla pizza (90), turkey sausage (140), spinach/mushroom (20), ½ cup marinara (50), 1oz RF smoked Gouda (70) = 370
S: 22 oz coffee stout (357) = 357
TOTAL: 1286

It's so much easier for me to stay on track when I know exactly what "on track" means.

Good luck!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi ya!

I just set my PVR to tape Extreme Weight Loss for motivation. LOL

I think setting goals can be motivation. Tape it somewhere you'll see it.

And coming to this site and seeing others working their butts off (literally)!

If I had the time...I would join an exercise class for motivation.

Good luck and congrats on your weight loss successes!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I agree with what everyone has said so far =)

1. Stay focused. This was the biggest hurdle for me because I have a very bad habit of going to the grocery store, or out to eat, when I'm really really hungry, so all those really bad things look even more tasty. Now, before I go out to eat, or if I go to the store, or if I go anywhere really, I eat a banana, or yogurt, or granola bar...something so that my stomach isn't rumbling at me the entire time, and it makes it easier to say "no, I don't need to get these chips today".

2. Diet/portion control. I personally use weight watchers to help me stay on track, and it works very well for me! There are so many other methods, too, so definitely take a little time to research some of the different types. The biggest thing is to find something that fits your lifestyle, because this isn't so much about a diet as it is a lifestyle change. If you try and make too many changes at once, there's stronger chances of binging and rebelling. It's not a fun cycle =(

3. Like Lin43 says, have a list of activities that you can do that do not involve food! I love reading, writing, coming here to the forums, I play online MMO gaming, etc. Also, as long as it's nice out, I have two dogs who love walkies, so if I feel the need to snack when I know I really don't need to, I try to do one of those activities as well as drink lots of water. Sometimes it's just thirst, and sometimes the activity just gets my mind off of whatever snack I was thinking about. If I get home from my walk, or stop what I'm doing, and I find my tummy rumbling even louder, I know it might be time for something more substantial, and I try to eat a piece of fruit or veggies to hold me over.

I saw this quote in another thread (sorry, I don't know which thread ), and I found it to be motivational and inspiring "if you stumble while climbing up a mountain, are you going to just throw yourself off? No, you're going to straighten out and keep climbing." I love it so much that I wrote it on the inside cover of my food journal, and look at it every time I need a kick in the pants.

We all have moments of weakness, we are human after all, but don't let that stop you! You can do this! Don't give up for the day if you make one mistake, just straighten yourself out, and eat better the rest of the day. Every little bit helps
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #7  

Good morning.
Just want to thank all who made suggestions. Today is a new day and a new start to good health.
Thanks so much
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I really empathize with your feelings. I know how incredibly difficult it can be to get your mind in the game. I suggest something very cliche but can really help: one day at a time.

When I first started this particular round of effort (I've gained and lost many, many times), I decided to commit to one day. It was SOOOO hard! But, I told myself to just get through it and only eat on plan (I'm a calorie counter) and no matter what comes my way: stress, migraine, food related functions, etc...I would not go off plan for just one day. Once I was able to get that one day, I was able to do another and before I knew it, I was in the game. My head was with me and I was able to make better decisions. I still struggle A LOT with the eating. Sometimes, it's fairly easy and sometimes, my appetite is like a monster I can hardly keep locked up, but I keep telling myself that if I want something, I can have it the next day.

I also felt that I had to do something different this time. I didn't want to just do the same thing because that made me feel like I would fail again. So, I found IF (Intermittent Fasting). There's a thread here on it. I basically postpone my first meal, giving my body a chance to fast a little. It was hard at the beginning but then it got easier. It gives me that nice full feeling that I like since I have the same amount of calories in a shorter period of time. If I want to eat something, I'll sometimes have a bit of steamed cauliflower (which tastes really good with salsa, btw). It's not for everyone, but I like the sense that it's something new.

You can do it!!! I wish you all the best!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm with you on the motivation problem. I was doing great and then had some medical problems. The medical problems didn't cause the weight loss to stop -- in fact, all of the doctors involved say to lose weight. But mentally, it was more than I could deal with.

So, figure out if there is something bothering you -- lonely, depressed, overwhelmed by something -- and see if you can address it. I have also found that getting enough sleep makes a HUGE difference in my motivation level. I can really tell the difference on the days when I've had enough sleep versus those where I'm running on half empty.

So, in addition to the great suggestions you've gotten, I'd suggest looking at the emotional side as well and make sure that you get enough sleep.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #10  

Luckymommy, thank you so much for your kind words and suggestions. One day at a time is surely the way to go. Like you said, a person just needs to get their head right for this. After I once get started, I am usually okay with it and keep busy with non food things. Once I go off plan (which I have done lately) it is soooo hard to get going again. That is what I am going through right now, but today is a new day.

I, too, have tried IF and like that, too, along with counting calories. I ate my meal in the middle of the day (around 1:00) and certainly liked that full feeling. Think since my calories are low, that is the best way to go for me, too. Sometimes I get discouraged with the amount of calories that I can have and still lose. Since I am 5'1" I have calculated 1492 calories and have to deduct 500 per day to lose 1# per week so leaves me 992. I just need to really make wise choices and stay with basic foods - fruits, veggies, protein and maybe treat myself just once in a while. I have a nice garden with lots of veggies right now, so when I need more food, can turn to those veggies.

I will check out the IF forum here.

I certainly wish you and everyone here the best with your journeys. I know it is not easy for anyone and I certainly appreciate the support.
Thanks so much!!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #11  

Thank you, Betsy. I know what you mean about sleep. Right now I think I am eating out of boredom. I love yard and garden work and get along pretty well when I am out of the house.

I also love to cook, but right now need to stay away from there until I get back on track.

I have received a lot of great suggestions and thank you - celigirl88, lin43, munchy, veggiedawg, buffinlovin, luckymommy.

Have a great day.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

You can do this! Just take it one day at a time
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #13  

Hi Mozzy,
Thank you so much for the encouragement. You are an inspiration - Just awesome - 55# is wonderful. You will get the last few off in no time. You are so right - 5# 20 times sounds a lot more attainable than 100#.
Keep up the good work and thank you so much.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #14  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hey Shabbyvintagelady,

I'm happy to hear that you're familiar with IF because it does sound very extreme to people, but it's very comfortable and works great for many of us.

I wanted to just tell you that you shouldn't try to create such a high calorie deficit with food alone. You could allow yourself something like 1200 calories and just add some weight training to increase your metabolism. Sure, the weight might not come off as fast but it has to be something you can stick to. I have days when I consume less than 1000 calories but those are not the norm for me and it would absolutely make me lose my mind. Anyway, the point is that calorie restriction is great but it certainly isn't the only way to create a deficit.

Finally, something that helps me control my calories is an egg white and veggie omelet with salsa. The calories are super low and it's very filling. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Stay strong! You can do it!!!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #15  

Luckymommy
Thank you for your post and I love the veggie omelet and salsa idea. I will try that and think you are right about the calories. Some days we just need to eat more than others.
Best of luck to you, too.