Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 04:45 PM   #1  

Default Hi, new here - with a question

[COLOR=darkblue][FONT=century gothic][SIZE=1] Hi, I was wondering if anyone on this board uses diet aides in the form of prescriptions?

-MelAnne
Old 10-25-2003, 05:44 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Yo! MelAnne, there've been some posts and threads on the subject. You might do a search!
Old 10-25-2003, 08:36 PM   #3  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

My doctor prescribed me Adipex. It basically decreases my appetite so I won't eat as much. I love it!

Heidi
Old 10-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #4  

Hi Heidi!

Thanks for posting!

I have been on and off Adipex for MANY years.

I used to only take it every other day - (the 37 mg - white with blue time release specks) and lost 60 pounds.

Here's the problem:
My ins will not pay for doctors office visits, nor weight loss medication.

(but they will pay for invasive surgery - if you do the office visits and can show 26 mths of monthly check ins with two different doctors, who have you on the pills, and your BMI has been over 40 for five years)

Seeing the Dr. is EXPENSIVE - no co-pay - gotta pay the full office visit out of pocket, and the meds too!

So, I was left to buy my adipex on line.

I think I am getting old medication - or it is not the 37 mg strength - or I am ammune to it?

It just doesn't seem to be working.

I do not know what to do - I am thinking of taking two a day, and cutting myself back to like 300 calories a day.

-Melanie
Old 10-26-2003, 01:14 AM   #5  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Melanie,

I started taking Adipex last November because my MIL was losing weight taking them. I stopped in May, and now starting back up again due to gaining almost all the weight (25 lbs) back. I have some pills left over, and so did my husband, about 7 weeks worth.

When I'm back down to about 145 (10 lb loss) I'm going back to the doctor. I go to a weight loss clinic where the doctor basically has a line of people moving in constantly when open. I will go every other Saturday. His staff weighs me, asks if I need more meds or vitamins, and then gives me a B12 shot. The shot cost $20, the meds cost $35 and the vitamins cost $15. The meds and vitamins last a month, unless you are on maintenance (which I am on) and you have to stretch them for 2 months.

I don't pay with insurance because I feel it's a good deal. I don't think they take insurance now that I think about it. They usually got handed cash and checks. It is an in and out quick kind of place. Wondering if there is such a place for you. I live in the Central Valley in California. They don't really advertise, it's a word of mouth kind of thing.

As for buying them online, not sure about that. Was thinking of doing myself, but it's too cheap to stop going to the clinic. Sounds like the pills you get are not the true thing. They should be working for you again like before. I'm sorry I'm not much help for you there.

Good luck, and you have a friend here if you need someone to chat with!

Heidi
Old 10-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #6  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally posted by MelAnne
I do not know what to do - I am thinking of taking two a day, and cutting myself back to like 300 calories a day.

-Melanie
Please don't do this. Your body needs between 1200 and 1500 calories per day on a weight loss program, and many people successfully lose weight with more calories than that. If you cut down to 300 calories per day, you risk serious kidney problems, hair loss, your internal organs can shut down, etc.

If you have been taking Adipex for a long time, and are consuming too few calories as it is, then your metabolism has probably slowed down to compensate for the low calorie consumption. In other words, if you eat less, your body will burn less. So you aren't helping yourself.

You don't mention what type of diet plan you are following. What kinds of foods do you eat? How much weight do you need to lose? What is your current weight?

Please look over some of the more popular diet plans, such as the South Beach Diet. You'll get enough food to stay healthy, and you won't need pills such as Adipex. Your body will need a little time to get back to normal.

For the record, buying Adipex online is more expensive than seeing your doctor. I went to adipex-on-line.com and a prescription for 60 tablets cost $199. If you go to drugstore.com you can get the same thing for $96.14, and only $59.98 if you take the generic. A general doctor visit costs about $50 in most areas. So you get the medication at a lessor price, plus you get a physician to weigh you and track your weight loss, give nutrition advice (which you need) and make sure you are staying healthy. You cannot get that online.

Your idea of taking twice the dosage and cutting your calories that much, is very dangerous and the idea scares me! You need advice, and we strongly recommend you see your physician before taking any further steps towards weight loss. If your doctor is unwilling to provide healthy weight loss advice, and prefers to just write a prescription, then find another doctor.
Closed Thread