Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196- starting weight

Height: 5' 7"

Default Will I ever feel like myself on this diet?

I am three weeks OP today, and I still lack energy. I have done the salt, the extra drink... it helps for a while, sometimes it does not, and I go back to the baseline lack of energy. And I still fill out of sorts, groggy, most days. I'm not sure how much longer I can do this. And I really want to do this. But I have three children that I have to be "me" for.

Did anyone experience a breakthrough after three weeks? I keep hoping to feel better.
laloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Are you eating everything? Including the oil?
Do you eat extra salads? I really found the salad was an important part of the day for me. I needed those few extra calories!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 199/ticker!/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm still pretty tired too, but my job at the moment is labor intensive during the summer... Yeah, restrictive diet and hard work mix like oil and water. I'm going to try adding an EAS carb control shake on days I work to see if that helps. (coach said that would be preferable, can anyone confirm that??)
I'm also usually very energetic and the "uhg, I can't even drag my *** upstairs" feeling sucks.
athena4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Yes, if you are doing physically active work (or exercising) you must add an extra packet. It can be an IP packet or alternative such as the EAS advantage shake. When you exercise you want to have the extra packet within 30 minutes of finishing. If the physical activity is going on throughout the day, I would think you want to plan it as a snack in between B and L or L and D. Also be sure to increase your water in take throughout the day!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #5  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Try getting an extra 30 minutes of sleep each night. It helped me with my energy level after starting IP.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/130/130

Height: 5'3"

I take a B vitamin in the morning in addition to the other vitamins and that helps. I hear that taking the B complex is best, but I am taking B12. (Heard that after I bought them)
spunky536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #7  

Thanks so much everyone. I do sleep about 7 hours each night. I eat all I'm supposed to eat. My counselor suggested I eat more beef, iron deficiency??? I think I will try the B12. Thank you for that. I Don't know, I know this is different from Atkins, but I remember doing that,and feeling this same way. I remember one day I couldn't take it anymore, and ate an apple. I felt so much better. I really don't want to do anything like that to sabotage my weight loss, especially since the coat is so exorbitant. So, it will either be I find a solution or...
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #8  

I really hope you guys can help me zero in on a solution. I still have so much to lose. So far I'm going to add beef and B12! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #9  
IP start 4/17/13

S/C/G: 259/213.6/146

Height: 5' 9.5"

Extra sleep helped me as well.
It took me about 3-4 weeks to get adjusted.
WestLAgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by laloli View Post
I am three weeks OP today, and I still lack energy. I have done the salt, the extra drink... it helps for a while, sometimes it does not, and I go back to the baseline lack of energy. And I still fill out of sorts, groggy, most days. I'm not sure how much longer I can do this. And I really want to do this. But I have three children that I have to be "me" for.

Did anyone experience a breakthrough after three weeks? I keep hoping to feel better.
It takes some folks longer to adjust to ketosis than others.
Also, for some folks, the effects of this diet can affect thyroid functioning. Have you had that checked?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #11  
Restarted IP February 19

S/C/G: 216.6/190.7/150

Quote:

I was on phase 1 for 10 weeks and never did feel good. I lost, but felt terrible. My coAch switched me to phase 2 and I felt much better.
getnlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
It takes some folks longer to adjust to ketosis than others.
Also, for some folks, the effects of this diet can affect thyroid functioning. Have you had that checked?
It's been three weeks. Many people are never going to have the same level of energy on a PSMF diet as they will on a more standard diet that is higher in carbs and calories.

PSMF diets work best for obese people and those who are heavily insulin resistant. (Many insulin resistant people are also obese)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
I really hope you guys can help me zero in on a solution. I still have so much to lose. So far I'm going to add beef and B12! Thanks in advance!
With respect to these ideas - I doubt they will help. Iron maybe slightly helpful but it's unlikely that B12 will do anything.

My opinion is that you probably need a different program or you need to modify this one. Contrary to what IP teaches you don't lose fat due to ketosis you lose it due to a caloric deficit. If you like the IP program but want to feel more energy the solution may be as simple as adding a couple pieces of fruit into the equation. Getting carbs up to around 100g per day may do wonders for your energy levels which means you could lose fat even faster dispite not being in ketosis and having a higher caloric intake.

Also, what kind of caffeine intake did you have before vs now?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
With respect to these ideas - I doubt they will help. Iron maybe slightly helpful but it's unlikely that B12 will do anything.

My opinion is that you probably need a different program or you need to modify this one. Contrary to what IP teaches you don't lose fat due to ketosis you lose it due to a caloric deficit. If you like the IP program but want to feel more energy the solution may be as simple as adding a couple pieces of fruit into the equation. Getting carbs up to around 100g per day may do wonders for your energy levels which means you could lose fat even faster dispite not being in ketosis and having a higher caloric intake.

Also, what kind of caffeine intake did you have before vs now?
John, my caffeine intake is about 3 cups of coffee a day, maybe 2. I probably had 3-5 before IP when I could add cream and Splenda. Before IP and after, I would try to switch to decaf after 3.

I must say I think your ideas are intresting. Of all the things I gave up,and I am a very heavy sweets/carb eater, the only think I crave is the fruit I have around for the kids.

BUT before this program, I had tried everything. The things that worked for me in the past were not working-- WW, calorie counting, excercise. I am 46, and I really believe it's age related. This is the only thing that has worked.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #15  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

The calories on this are very low so it makes sense that you don't have a lot of energy. Try going to bed an hour earlier tonight and see if it helps. It's the simplest solution, and easiest to test out. If it doesn't work, try something else.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote