Old 06-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/226.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Making Vegetables Taste... Good

I'm in a bit of a rut. Whenever I need a low-point snack, I typically reach for some fruit or other low/zero point item (jello, yogurt, popcorn.) I would like to incorporate more veggies into my snacking, besides having them in meals. But here's the thing... I don't really like them, and so they don't satisfy me as a stand alone snack.

What kinds of veggies do you ladies like to snack on? And how do you make them taste appealing?
dumpling99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #2  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Hi Dumpling!

My usual go to veggie snacks are snow peas or carrots dipped in hummus, I like cauliflower roasted in the oven sprinkled with any seasoning you like and drizzled with olive oil, broccoli and asparagus are good this way too. I like sauteing mushrooms or putting them on the BBQ grill. Lots of veggies are great on the grill.

I like sauteing squash with onions, butternut squash or making a huge salad with all kinds of vegetables and fruit combined.

Hope this helps some!
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #3  

Celery with PB2 (it's powder you add a bit of water to and make a peanut butter type spread but so much lower calorie and fat than regular peanut butter!)

Roasted vegetables like thnkn said above. I do roasted fresh cauliflower and coat it in buffalo sauce (google the recipe, it's soooo good). Portabello mushrooms in a sandwich instead of a burger (or on top of a burger if you don't want to skip the meat).

Love making huge salads adding so many different vegetables (I go light on the lettuce as I like the "real" vegetables more!).

Baked zucchini (just cut it in half the long way) sprinkled with garlic powder and onion powder is one of my most favorite snacks (my husband and I fight over the last piece, it's that good!).

So many yummy vegetable choices. Enjoy everything you make!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I personally enjoy some veggies raw...like cucumber, baby carrots, zucchini, green bell pepper...sometimes I'll get a little ranch dressing to dip them in if I need a bit more flavor. My fiance hates raw veggies, so I like to roast them in the oven (usually a combo of red/yellow peppers and onions, or broccoli tossed in a little garlic, olive oil and sea salt) and keep them in containers for him to heat up and eat whenever he is hungry.

I also keep those steamfresh frozen veggies in my freezer at all times! The lightly sauced ones aren't free, but I find the value to be low enough that they make both good side dishes and handy snacks.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #5  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I used to HATE veggies and now we have more of a lukewarm relationship, but I had grilled asparagus the other day and it is now a fave! I am still working up to snacking on veggies.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #6  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I like everything roasted, especially carrots and green beans...mmm...
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #7  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

My favorite (though more of a side dish than a snack) is cutting squash, zucchini, onion, potatoes (not zero points) and any other sturdy vegetable we have on hand, cut them into long slices. Put in a dish or ziplock bag with some olive oil, salt & pepper, and Greek seasoning. Let them marinate awhile, then put them on the grill. Holy cow, I could eat two entire plates full.

For snack, I go the hummus route. My friend makes a great Turkish dip made of eggplant. It's like baba ganoush but no tahini. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I can get the ingredient list if you want. She dips rather unhealthy things like pita bread or crackers into it, but carrots or celery would work great too.

Just lettuce and tomato cut up into a salad works for me too, for a snack. As long as there is a tasty dressing on top. I get a really yummy ginger dressing from the produce section of my grocery store, I think it's 1 or 2 points per serving.
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #8  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I snack on celery, cucumber, and carrots with Laughing Cow cheese.

I adore most veggies roasted or grilled, with a little spritz of olive oil spray and any seasonings I feel like.

I tried buying those Green Giant veggies but they have no flavor so that won't be happening again.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 231/226.5/150

Quote:
My favorite (though more of a side dish than a snack) is cutting squash, zucchini, onion, potatoes (not zero points) and any other sturdy vegetable we have on hand, cut them into long slices. Put in a dish or ziplock bag with some olive oil, salt & pepper, and Greek seasoning. Let them marinate awhile, then put them on the grill. Holy cow, I could eat two entire plates full.
Mmm... now that sounds super yummy!

Quote:
I snack on celery, cucumber, and carrots with Laughing Cow cheese.
Good tip... I think I'll have to invest in some laughing cow cheese!
dumpling99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling99 View Post
I'm in a bit of a rut. Whenever I need a low-point snack, I typically reach for some fruit or other low/zero point item (jello, yogurt, popcorn.) I would like to incorporate more veggies into my snacking, besides having them in meals. But here's the thing... I don't really like them, and so they don't satisfy me as a stand alone snack.

What kinds of veggies do you ladies like to snack on? And how do you make them taste appealing?
When I start getting kind of tired of vegetable as a snack, I try to fit in a trip to the farmer's market. EVERYTHING tastes better when it's in season and actually grown for taste, not shipability! Everything. I come home feeling like I have something special and I can't wait to try it all.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

Oh I love broccolli, asparagus I eat aswell, but Im not crazy about it. SALAD is what I love...but for the broccolli and other veggies..just put a little bit of butter on it..1/2 tblsp is 1 point for mine!
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote