Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 370/285/220

Height: 5'11

Default Should I just start cheating now?

Hey all--

I am absolutely terrified of hitting a plateau in my diet. I've been at it since January (since February seriously) and have been losing at a steady pace of 3 pounds per week. I read that shaking up your diet by upping your calories to maintenance for a week will shock your body to not get used to your usual calorie intake (which for me has been 1600/ a day). Should I do this? And if I do this, should I do it now? I have another 13 pounds till I reach my next goal, can it wait till then?

Again, totally petrified I'll plateau.
Thanks!
missp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #2  

First off, I wouldn't call it cheating!!

If you are going to strategically increase your calories to jumpstart your system, that isn't cheating in my opinion...

If you are still losing consistently (and congrats on your amazing success already!), I wouldn't mess with success.

I stalled out almost exactly 9 months in but it was due to hormone and medication issues. I stayed perfect on plan this whole time so I haven't changed a thing (except adding some extra calories on my intense exercise days).

I wouldn't tempt yourself and mess with anything until you have to. And I wouldn't call it a plateau if you have been losing all this time. Sometimes our bodies just have to work things out. And being a woman can also mess with things hormonally so just be patient.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #3  

Haha! I must confess I used the word "cheating" to catch someone's eye so they would respond lol. I really don't consider it cheating. Thank you! That sounds like a great idea, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

Hi fellow Houstonian! Like the other poster said, I wouldn't mess with what is working. Wait until you actually hit a plateau to change it up. I know it can seem scary to stop your progress, but like everyone says, this is a journey. A few weeks of stalling here and there won't be a huge deal in the long run.

Also, if you find you start to see less weight loss, don't consider that a plateau or that you're doing anything wrong. As you have less to loose, you will loose it slower. A true plateau isn't a week or two without lbs lost, I think it's more like a month. So don't freak out if after you hit your next goal or two, your progress isn't as quick!
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201.6/137/135

Height: 5'2"

I agree with coachandrea85, at some point weight loss will slow down the closer you get to healthy weight but I wouldn't mess with it now until it actually happens. Unless you need a mental break to keep going.
Charin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/158/133

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp22 View Post
Haha! I must confess I used the word "cheating" to catch someone's eye so they would respond lol.
I liked the title, haha!
I understand that you are stressing, but I think at this point if you are still losing consistently then you have nothing to worry about. Also, losing 3 lbs a week is amazing progress! I think you have done really well! It is entirely possible that you will be able to lose all the weight you need without ever plateauing - there is no rule that says you have to have a plateau! Even if your weight loss slows down, that is still good progress as long as the scales are moving in the right direction. Just keep on with what you are doing if it is working for you, and start 'cheating' if it stops working.
EskaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone! Your words helped me so much!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Also bear in mind that the strategy of upping your calories temporarily to "shock" your system has a lot of anecdotal support, but no hard evidence behind it. Last year I interviewed several of Canada's leading obesity experts for an article about weight loss facts and myths, and none of them endorsed the idea.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I think it's BS as well.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The only people who need refeeds from a physiological standpoint are bodybuilders who are dieting down to single digit bodyfat levels and even then it's not actually needed, it just helps retain sanity.

It's not needed.

Having said that, having pre-planned "cheats" or free meals can certainly help one maintain psychological sanity.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote