Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Default anyone get more lightheaded when standing up since losing?

I'm probably just being pig-headed about this. I have googled it, of course, and I cannot find any evidence that people are more likely to have postural hypotension (the feeling of being lightheaded/dizzy when standing up caused by low blood pressure) after losing weight. But I am still convinced it's true, I guess because I have gotten it a lot more since losing a significant amount of weight. But maybe its just a coincidence. It kinda makes sense to me, though, that it would happen that way.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

**** yeah!

It mostly happens when I am playing with my kids with my head down and then getting up.

I am on BP medication though (for hypertension) and have lost a lot of weight since I last saw my doctor (next appointment is on Friday).

I'm thinking it might be time to come off the BP medication but want the doctor's OK before I do that. She is going to sh!t herself when she sees I have lost 70 lbs!

Last edited by IanG; 06-01-2013 at 09:15 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #3  

I thought I was going out of my mind (and I might be...) but this past week has been awful for being dizzy, nauseous and just out of sorts. (I'm hoping I'm pregnant but I don't think I am, it would be a miracle...)

I had to stop my run and my walk twice this week and canceled my runs for the rest of the week as I was so hot and lightheaded the last 2 times I tried to run.

My BP this week at my doctor's office was 112/68 and I usually run right around 120/80 give or take as I'm usually pretty anxious going there, plus bad traffic and waiting, etc.

Today I was picking up some stuff from the floor and when I got up I had to really control myself as I was so dizzy!

I don't know if it's weightloss related or I'm coming down with something (I feel fine otherwise). It must just be because I'm getting SO skinny now (I'm totally kidding, 191 is not skinny except compared to where I started).

I hope you feel better or get an answer soon. I hate feeling dizzy.

Maybe someone else will reply and help us.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post

I'm thinking it might be time to come off the BP medication but want the doctor's OK before I do that. She is going to sh!t herself when she sees I have lost 70 lbs!
I can't wait to read your post after that appointment! My doctors just stare at me in awe. I love it.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #5  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Well, both lack of food and dehydration can cause postural hypotension. I'm not saying you're not eating enough...but if you happen to be a bit light on the food or water end from time to time, perhaps that's what caused you to feel dizzy.

I've always had low blood pressure...not dangerously low, but low enough for me to suffer from dizziness more than most. I've weighed anywhere between 120 and 190 over the past 40 years, and I've never noticed any difference in my tendency to become dizzy.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Elvis. And good luck with the baby-making!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

At one point, I cut out all added salt in my food and I used to get quite lightheaded (mostly when getting up from laying down). I figured it was low blood pressure as even at my highest weight I had fairly low blood pressure (90/60 to 100/70 is fairly normal for me). I ended up adding salt back in and stopped having problems.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I've been experiencing this while gardening on hot, hot days. Specifically when coming up from a squat where I had my head down, planting.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #9  

[QUOTE=IanG;4759980]**** yeah!/[QUOTE]

I love your enthusiasm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Ooooh, I hope you are able to get off the meds. That would rock! And although I hope there's no actual sh!tting involved, I hope she does something fun! lol

The last time I went to the doc (first time seeing this guy, but I will be seeing him regularly every 4 mos), the nurse weighed me and the scale said 188, I think. And I was like, "man, my scale at home said 180 this morning!" And then she wrote down 180 in my chart. When I saw it I thought, cool! And then later, crap! I'm gonna have to really work my butt off to have an impressive weight loss by next time, if he thinks I was really 8 pounds lower, kwim? Well... I think I've done it bc my scale says 163 now, so maybe 170 by their stupid scale and I still have two months to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I thought I was going out of my mind (and I might be...) but this past week has been awful for being dizzy, nauseous and just out of sorts. (I'm hoping I'm pregnant but I don't think I am, it would be a miracle...)
Aww, it would sure be awesome if you were preggers! I can't think of a better reason to be dizzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Well, both lack of food and dehydration can cause postural hypotension. I'm not saying you're not eating enough...but if you happen to be a bit light on the food or water end from time to time, perhaps that's what caused you to feel dizzy.
I'm pretty sure it's not dehydration, but it is possible it's that I'm not eating enough. I normally eat only once a day. And I don't eat a ton of food generally these days. I been tryin' to turn over a new leaf. How does this work? Do you think it's something that would cause me more issues during the day when I haven't eaten, or would it be just as bad in the couple of hours after I've eaten my meal? I just finished eating, so I'll have to pay special attention for the next bit of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
At one point, I cut out all added salt in my food and I used to get quite lightheaded (mostly when getting up from laying down). I figured it was low blood pressure as even at my highest weight I had fairly low blood pressure (90/60 to 100/70 is fairly normal for me). I ended up adding salt back in and stopped having problems.
I don't shy away from salt. I don't think it could be that except that it might be that I haven't had any salt in a bunch of hours. Like, over a 24 hour period, I'm sure I get enough, but if it's five pm and I haven't had any salt since dinner last night, I wonder if that could be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
I've been experiencing this while gardening on hot, hot days. Specifically when coming up from a squat where I had my head down, planting.
I think you probably don't have to worry about this. From what I read today it looks like the most common times this happens to normal healthy people is when it's hot and/or they're dehydrated and squatting is more likely to cause it than other positions.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #10  

Yes!! I am one of those people that even at over 200 lbs I run like 90/60 and sometimes lower.

Weightloss can lower blood pressure, at least in some people with hypertension (they lose weight, they lower tehir blood pressure and may be able to come off meds!)

When I lose weight, I am also exercising regularly, so there is a higher likelihood that I could be a little low on fluids.

What I do to help my BP is 1, never avoid salt, actually I am generous with it. 2. I have to be very diligent about drinking adequate water all day everyday. And 3, I'm just careful when I stand up from a squatting position!

I really do notice after a few days of opting for diet soda or iced tea instead of water I have more issues with BP. I do drink coffee in the AM, and I also have water with it. If I drink alcohol, I drink water too. Anyway I don't drink that now, but this is normally. I will say that the one thing I like about being over weight is that my BP isn't as low as often. :P
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 320/150/140

Height: 5'5

I've been getting light headed when i stand up as well ! it usually occurs in the morning when i first wake up . it kinda scared me at first but after a few months of it happening i just kinda adapted to it. I did see my Doctor about it though, he ran a few tests and couldnt find anything wrong with me. I'm sorry your all having the same issue but its nice to know i'm not the only one out there going through this.

Last edited by Tibbits2u; 06-01-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Tibbits2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #12  

GlamorGirl, I'd be thrilled if my blood pressure was always on the low side. I don't really know, though, bc I have terrible white coat syndrome. It's usually not higher than 120/80 at the docs but I suspect that if someone could check my BP w/o me knowing, it would be lower.

Tibbits, I'm happy to know I'm not the only one, too. If I was sure that this wasn't a symptom of something worse (which I'm guessing its not), I could live w it fine.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

This has happened to me more recently. I liken it to weight loss and added heat from the coming summer. I have to be sure I am eating enough quality foods or these issues become worse with my calorie depletion.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #14  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

This happens to me 3-4 times per week, typically when I've forgotten to eat.

And elvis - I SO hope you ARE

Last edited by SuperHeroTeacher; 06-02-2013 at 02:27 AM.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Me too! I also have the white coat issue so I've no idea what my true reading is, and I eat a lot of salt! I pretty much fainted the other day when a courier came early and I had to run out of bed
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote