Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 27 - June 2

We've had rain all week, which I used as an excuse to avoid exercise. Pretty dumb, since I own enough Gore-Tex to work the foredeck of Noah's Ark.

Yesterday I had to wear a down vest to stay warm. I felt dumb until I bumped into some friends in full winter coats. In late May, even 'chilly' seems like 'cold.' Took it off when the sun peeked through, but the feeling of violated lingered.

This week with its toe sticking into June will be no excuses due to weather.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

We had a sunny day yesterday, but it was chilly here, too, Bill. With overnight temperatures in the 40s, I've been sleeping in sweats & underneath blankets, since the steam heat is most definitely turned off in my apartment building. This doesn't feel like the start of summer.

At 7 AM, I already feel like the day's plans are already blown to pieces, since I was supposed to be out running already. I'd wanted to go downtown on an early train, as there are museum exhibits and movies that will be closing after the long holiday weekend, and this is my last chance to catch them. But I feel lethargic and a little rebellious at the thought of all those things that I feel I must do. We'll see how I end up spending the day.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! Summer is in full swing here ...
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardHog View Post
Good morning! Summer is in full swing here ...
SIGH. I'm still waiting for it to be warm enough to sit out on the verandah with the dogs - wearing a jacket! It was 5 degrees C last night. Tomorrow it's supposed to go to 28C - parka to shorts!

The dog and I are about equally frustrated right now. He tried to hump me last night while wearing the head cone - bad idea. I .

Can't wait for this to be over - nothing to do with the pets and normally I love their house - as I'm frustrated and tired and I did give in and eat last night. Amazing how small my binges have become - last night was a small bag of the worst allsorts I've had in a while followed by the planned snack of 1 1/2 cups of semi-frozen cherries. 2 years ago I would have had a pie and probably chased it with a litre of ice cream.

Good Monday and week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #5  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

As beautiful as it was yesterday it is just that cold and rainy today. We tried to have a cookout at lunchtime and ended up ducking back inside with the food. I'm really glad I did my bike ride yesterday.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I saw last night on the news that somewhere people got 3 feet of snow! On Memorial Day? That's freaky weird.

It was beautiful weather this weekend. Saturday's golf tournament was gorgeous. Sunday we ate dinner on the patio (something that we don't normally do this time of year as it is usually too hot). We were going to golf again on Monday morning when it was still quite cool for this time of year (about 72) but decided that a third day of sleeping in was more luxurious.

I managed to get in an almost 2 mile walk Sunday morning. Granted it was on the treadmill (Misty dog stared at me like I was crazy for not taking her for a proper walk). I'm going to try to repeat this every afternoon/evening this week.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Had a very good weekend - it was completely consumed by the annual Indy 500 barbeque on Sunday. Our "pit beeyotches" arrived Saturday evening; they and DH put 36# of pork shoulder and about 10# of beef brisket into the smoker around 8pm and monitored it all night and through 4:30pm Sunday. I think we had about 35 people this year. Amazing food, 5 different home-brewed beers, great friends and fabulous weather ... and a not-too-trashed house.

Six mile run planned for tonight with the training group. I will go if there's a chance it won't be pouring. Sorry folks, I do not have, and will not acquire, gear for running in the rain! I am perfectly willing to spend money on activities about which I am obsessed, but running does not (yet) qualify.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #8  
Workin' It

My weekend turned out to be a lot busier than I'd planned. We went to an outdoor baby shower cookout on Saturday, then we decided to reinvent our yard. I bought some adirondack chairs on clearance last fall for the patio, then right after that a clearance patio table. The chairs have since lived stacked up in a corner. We decided we wanted to buy some paving stones and make an 'island' for the chairs down in the yard past the garden. Then we decided we needed a propane firetpit for 'adirondack island' as we are now calling it. And metal tiki torches, as the wood ones mildewed. Next thing I know we are at lowe's looking at torches and see a gazebo that would fit on our patio pad on SALE. With FREE DELIVERY. So Sunday afternoon we order a gazebo, the fire pit and 100 pavers. Which they deliver at 8:30 AM on Memorial Day. Woo! So after five hours outside on Sunday getting things ready and cleaning off the patio, relocated some garden stuff, assembled a greenhouse, replaced my bird net from the pvc frame collapse of a few weeks ago we spend ten hours outside yesterday laying pavers, setting up chairs and firepit and assebling gazebo. I'm way too old for all that! And, I didn't sunscreen my legs, so the back of my knees are stinging today. Owza. Yard looks good, though. Now we just need to find some time to relax and use it!

Becky - punch head and arm holes in a garbage bag and wear over your clothes. That way it the rain stops you can take it off and toss it in a trash can.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Shannon. I'll bet your yard lots fantastic.
PS. How is DSS doing any, more news on med tests ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Thanks for asking, Bargoo. We just got back the results from the second round of tests. Urine and hemoglobin look good. So so far we have good white blood cell count, a clean cbc, good urine and hemoglobin. We have one more test we are waiting on, but so far there seems to be no real reason for what happened last week. Except my previous thought idea that four days of no sleep and no eating put him into collapsed exhaustion and malnutrition with some dehydration.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #11  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

shannon - we lucked out last night! Got sprinkled on a couple of times, but the rain held off until we got back to the parking lot. We ended up going almost 7.2 miles instead of the planned 6. Apparently, high humidity is good to me! Sorry DSS had such a miserable time - I suspect your idea is a sound one, and that now that he's back on routine, all will be much better. Good luck! I hope you do get some time to enjoy your yard!

Had some rough weather go just north of us last night; tornado warnings just as I was headed for bed. It's so strange how (with tornados) the worse the weather, the more localized it is. We didn't even have high winds - just a normal summer thunderbumper.

Tonight is DS's last full rehearsal before the final concert of the season. While I won't miss the driving, I reaaallllly hope he wants to come back after a year off!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

We've had on and off thunderstorms here, but generally the weather has been pretty good.

Today makes one month since the twins were born! We celebrated by attempting tandem feeding (breastfeeding both of them at the same time). And no, I don't have any photos of it. It went pretty well though! And saves a LOT of time. I was able to feed them both and pump the rest and be done within an hour. The past few days it took at least an hour and a half to feed them and pump, more like two hours, at which point it's just enough time for me to eat and start over again. They're going to attempt to bottle feed them overnight tonight before resorting to the tube feedings. My cough is still lingering but it's mostly better. It's annoying to have to keep wearing a face mask while I'm at the hospital though so hopefully it will be gone soon.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Mr. Conehead got his stitches out last night. Boy is he a happy lad! This afternoon I'm going to let him get totally wet and sandy, dig holes, run his b*tt off, etc. Tomorrow he has to spend all day @ the groomers but then he's all set for summer fun.

I get to enjoy one day of that with him on Saturday and we will make the most of it. Then his folks return (Sat. night I'm hoping) and I'm HOME!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #14  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,
I didn't mean to drop off the planet. I'm still here! I've been extremely busy and working long and strange hours at work, been out in the field a lot and barely any time spent at my desk. I worked through the memorial day weekend last weekend so I get a long weekend this weekend. Summer is in full swing here and with it strange routines including later dog walks due to the heat, later dinners, supressed appetite in the heat that comes back with a vengeance in the evening... the usual summer stuff for me. Maintenance has been more of an afterthought, but in the good way lately. I wish it were always so easy. I've also reintroduced some extra cardio into my life with access to a friend's small gym that is <5 minutes from my house and free. It feels good to get sweaty, even if it's just 30 minutes a few days a week. But it is cutting into my guitar practicing time. I guess I can only do so much.

Jessica, I'm so glad the girls are doing well! One month, wow! I've been enjoying the pictures you put on FB. They are beautiful and I'm glad to hear that feeding is going well, too.

Dagmar, I don't know if I got a chance to congratulate you on buying the house. I'm way behind - did you close yet? Everything still on track?

Shannon, sorry to hear DSS is having trouble, but I agree with you, 4 days of no food or sleep can really take its toll on a young boy. Hope he's fine now. Your new yard set-up sounds lovely!

Ward, yup. Summer's here in the south! Bill and Saef, you can have some of our heat and humidity. I can barely acclimate to this, I shudder to think what it will be like in July.

Hi to everyone else! If I drop off again, it's not because I don't care or I've fallen off the wagon or... I'm just a crazy person as I usually am in the summer.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone!

Weekend was an exhausting whirlwind of music and dancing and not a lot of eating or sleeping in Detroit. Now I'm back but I have a really obnoxious cold and we had severe storms. My parents' house lost a bunch of windows and 8 trees fell in their yard!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote